New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Last Sunday's Top Gear
Phil.J

posted on 7/3/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I was interviewed by William Woollard many years ago on Top Gear when I was competing at Prescott. Sigh...those were the days.
(He was the show anchorman before it all went to the dogs with the current shower).

If TG retained the incredible dullness of the format when William Woollard was around, the viewing figures would probably be in single digits by now.

I'm quite enjoying the Africa challenge, though possibly more due to the incredible scenery and beauty of Africa rather than the buffoons ruining a trio of unsuitable cars. The Vietnam episode is my favorite by a long way however.

It's interesting to note that when William Woollard was the presenter, the show regularly had around 5 Million viewers which is virtually identical to what the current show has (not withstanding the worldwide sales of the current show and format).

A well presented motoring show actually about cars rather than a motoring themed comedy show would still be of interest to many of the viewing public.

scootz

posted on 7/3/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Think I've said this before...

IMHO the reason the show gets so many detractors these days is because it used to be SO good!

The early Clarkson, Hammond, May combo was TV gold due their sharp scripts, interesting reports / challenges, fabulous cinematography and man-down-the-pub humour.

Ratings (rightfully) went through the roof.

And then someone somewhere decided they should focus on 'comedy'... and the show completely lost the plot. The producers, scriptwriters and presenters are far too ham-fisted to pull off pure comedy and the end-result is an embarrassing parody of what TG used to be.

It used to be essential viewing in our house... nowadays I only ever see it if I'm channel flicking.

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.