Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another wrongly-registered car on ebay
Jamwat

posted on 22/7/13 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
The Problem is that we all know what's going on here, a kit car newby however could end up spending thousands for a car that is actually illegal and due to ignorance be none the wiser until, god forbid, it gets involved in a accident that involves the insurance company or the old bill.

totally agree.

loggyboy

posted on 22/7/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
No, it states the emissions on the V5. This has been covered previously on here. If I still had the car I'd scan it to show you.

EDIT:

Some what inconclusive thread from a little while ago:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171783

My car definitely had emissions details on the V5, It was irrelevant as the MOT tester did it as smoke only, but it was certainly on there.

Oh yes its there as part of the IVA Approval and registration, (as mentioned above, IVA has different emmision regs to MoT) but any Q plate should be tested for smoke only, regardless of if it has emmisions listed on the v5.

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 22/7/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
No, it states the emissions on the V5. This has been covered previously on here. If I still had the car I'd scan it to show you.

EDIT:

My car definitely had emissions details on the V5, It was irrelevant as the MOT tester did it as smoke only, but it was certainly on there.

Oh yes its there as part of the IVA Approval and registration, (as mentioned above, IVA has different emmision regs to MoT) but any Q plate should be tested for smoke only, regardless of if it has emmisions listed on the v5.

^^ what he said

the new MOT manual is quite clear - all Q plates are 'visual smoke only'

but the IVA is a different story as its engine age based

2 different departments within VOSA, so of course they have 2 different sets of rules

[Edited on 22/7/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 22/7/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

EDIT:

^^ what he said

the new MOT manual is quite clear - all Q plates are 'visual smoke only'

but the IVA is a different story as its engine age based

2 different departments within VOSA, so of course they have 2 different sets of rules

[Edited on 22/7/2013 by mcerd1]

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info as alwas guys, might be useful for the future.

jossey

posted on 22/7/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad he came to defend himself that's much better than some of the others.

Sorry he got caught out.

Just hope these cars get crushed or iva'd we have all been offered cheap n easy cheats to get a car road legal "ish"

I guess the difference is the ones who do it right or not all all.....

David

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 22/7/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Just out of interest you bought the car in good faith a few months ago,can you not go after the bloke who sold you the car knowing its not registered correctly? He is the one who has broken the rules & sold it on to you & lied about it.

Exactly !
The situation is the same as passing a forged £20 note because somebody has passed it to you the buck stops with you and you should obtain redress from the seller. This is in effect a forged car.
Anybody in the motor trade should have at least basic grasp of the law relating to vehicle registration.
Someone claiming to be in the trade selling the car in the knowledge there is something seriously wrong with the way it is registered with intention to deceive is open to serious criminal charges.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 22/7/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey

Sorry he got caught out.

Just hope these cars get crushed or iva'd we have all been offered cheap n easy cheats to get a car road legal "ish"

David

But he was trying to catch some other poor sod out !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

leon51274

posted on 22/7/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by jossey

Sorry he got caught out.

David

But he was trying to catch some other poor sod out !

Not necessarily, If you were flogging a dodgy kit car but you were fully aware of the requirements required ie IVA etc, would you be so honest in your ebay description clearing stating that it was basically a triumph?

He had pretty much copied and pasted the add from which he bought it, so if he had then found out shortly after, that it was in essence a ringer, then he's got some balls readvertising as a ringer.

I've been in this exact same situation and unfortunately I was the poor sod who bought a ringer and ended up being seriously out of pocket!

About 8 years ago we had a chap who delivered aluminium into us, I got on reasonably well with the guy and always made the time for a chinwag. Anyway,one day he told me that he was rebuilding a kit car and showed me some pics. At that time I knew absolutely nothing about kit cars, so seeing these pics I'm thinking, quite fancy one of those! (Famous last words) So one day i told the guy if you ever decide to flog it give me a shout. Low and behold all of a sudden i'm the proud owner of a dutton phaeton series 4!!! Happy days, lets have a blast around in this, so i did for about 6 months, then seeing as though I'm a self employed sheet metal worker thought we'll have bodywork, interior and engine sorted over Christmas, I then proceeded to launch about £1500 at it, now i had a car that was into me for about £5k.

So as you do, I started to research on what other upgrades were possible, brakes, engine etc. It was at this point that I realized that a dutton phaeton chassis was not in the remotest similar to what I had! So some further digging and one comes across things like Locostbuilders Forum etc. From there as you can imagine things started to go down hill!

Long story short as I've waffled enough. The car was never put on the road again and it turned out to be a ron champion chassis. I stripped the whole lot down back to bare chassis, put the things right that needed sorting and flogged the lot as parts, some to fellow locost builder, I bought another chassis, gave it the dodgy id and got it scrapped!

So all in all I was a fair few quid out of pocket but I now have a Roadster that will anytime be going through its IVA!

To finish off, with regards to the bloke that sold me the car. Yes i very nearly got myself in trouble, but the guy denied all knowledge and told me thats how he bought it, so how far do you go to prove who the victims are? Needless to say though that that particular bloke doesn't deliver to me anymore!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.