Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer
Andy D

posted on 23/9/14 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
May have not been your best result, but 10/10 for entertainment value! Some nice passes there, particularly the two you out braked into Park, superb!
yellowcab

posted on 23/9/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andy, I feel red-mist got the better of me which I should have kerbed.

Never mind - onwards and upwards… end of RGB season now - but I have put together a race-team for a Birkett 6-hour endurance relay race at Silverstone Grand Prix circuit on Saturday 25th October

That should be awesome…

I must get around to updating this thread properly with my antics (and photos)

yellowcab

posted on 7/10/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Evening strangers, I managed to find 10minutes so I could get some photos downloaded and up onto here for those following my progress… if not on Facebook - then here…

I may well have missed lots, but here is the general jist of things since the crank went in my Honda CBR1000RR, we whipped the engine out and searched high and low for a replacement crank to find they're as rare as rocking horse poo, expensive poo at that - which made it easier, and more convenient to buy a new engine - go figure?!

This was all after Anglesey, and before Silverstone late August… but unfortunately I fell into the 'well whilst its out, we might aswell do this' scenario, and one thing lead to another…

From when I bought the car, it was always running two water formula ford radiators, one in each side pod, which is obviously a lot of weight, water, and took ages for the water to come unto temperature due to it holding so much, it wasn't ideal and somewhat complicated setup, so I went about simplifying the cooling setup

Passenger rad

Drivers rad, you can also see the black oil cooler mounted quite far back behind the radiator, attached to the blue tab on the chassis

The idea was to lose the drivers radiator, convert to a single passenger radiator, and shift as much weight on the drivers rear, as forward as possible, so we were going to move the oil cooler forward, albeit only 6 inches, but every little helps… to here

This was just a small section of the water cooling pipework that was needed in order to link the two rads together

This was the whole lot… that we removed

Total weight of everything, without water (obviously) was 10kg dry weight

This was our plan

yellowcab

posted on 7/10/14 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ordered a new single thicker radiator with a bigger surface area

Mounted on the passenger side, and filled in any gaps where air could get through

New oil cooler had been delivered, and we decided to move the oil cooler even further forward into the side pod, thus getting as much weight off the drivers rear as possible, so this is where it currently sits

Single radiator in, and began plumbing it up

Whilst engine was out I did a bit of tarting up of other bits that needed doing

yellowcab

posted on 7/10/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Loads I've missed - probably boring…

But here are my first seasons results:

Race 1 @ Snetterton 300:

Race 2 @ Rockingham International:

Race 3 @ Anglesey Coastal:

Race 4 @ Silverstone International

Race 5 @ Cadwell Park

yellowcab

posted on 27/10/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Spire GT3 vs AB Sabre G1

"Onboard Oliver Hewitt in an RGB Spire GT3 with a Honda Fireblade engine with Yoko A048R tyres

The red car with headlights on in the drivers (wobbly) wing mirror is that of Adrian Moore (aka Adrain) in an RGB AB Performance Sabre G1 with a Honda Fireblade engine on full slicks

Fantastic race getting through traffic, fast, but safe - I'm aware I went off track limits to overtake the Orange & Black Seven at 1:00, but it was better than colliding as my exit through Vale onto Club straight through was greater than his

I was on the extreme limits of the A048r tyres, a lot of pointless gear changes for me, but was keen to keep revs on - Adrian pushed & pushed - cracking battle"

http://youtu.be/CMy1qGHCQls

rdodger

posted on 27/10/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you were having fun Olly

From the other side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diS0LMDiOvU

cosmick

posted on 28/10/14 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Probably the best weekend's racing ever. Thoroughly enjoyed it and a big thanks to all the Team for making it happen.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

yellowcab

posted on 28/2/15 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi chaps, long time no speak...

2015 season is just about to kick off, we've done our first pre-season shakedown at Brands hatch yesterday... And we're out at Donington Park tomorrow.

Be sure to go on www.facebook.com/vrmotorsport.co.uk for photos, videos & progress.

yellowcab

posted on 28/2/15 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Damn forum... http://www.facebook.com/vrmotorsport.co.uk
Andy D

posted on 28/2/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Early start to the season, wrap up! Good luck, and be sure to keep us non bookfacers updated.
yellowcab

posted on 28/2/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
So in brief after my 4th race at Silverstone International I was approached by a race team for my to drive with them.

We arranged a meeting to take place at the Cadwell Park race weekend, the last of the season to which it did.

We talked through the nitty gritty and come to the conclusion that it was gonna happen.

Throughout winter a lot of changes have happened to the car to keep the team ethos in sharing spares, engines, bodyworks etc... So we've come away from the Honda Fireblade in favour of the Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 as that's what the other driver already had, and they had a spare engine which I now have... We've bought another spare for the race truck so whoever a gives first, gets the engine.

The car has undergone a major diet and now we are on point with the weight limit rather than being 17kg over...

New suspension, brakes, carbon front splitter & rear diffuser among many other bits & bobs.

I'll be sure to update you guys on here of race meetings, results, ups and downs!

Olly

Andy D

posted on 1/3/15 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Is the 750mc website down?
yellowcab

posted on 1/3/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to be fine now Andy ?
Andy D

posted on 1/3/15 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yep up and running now. How'd you get on at Donny today? I actually thought you meant you had your first race there today. Was it a trackday or a test day?
yellowcab

posted on 1/3/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just a track day Andy, as a good day - plenty of seat time!

The oil cooler split on us though… so the day ended prematurely!

daniel mason

posted on 2/3/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
How did the k7 feel compared to the blade? Not had chance to get out in mine yet but it's got a k6 gsxr1000 on dta and was 307kg on the scales (although there was no battery on board)
yellowcab

posted on 5/4/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
As Andy isn't on Facebook - I wanted to personally thank him for the time out he took yesterday in shooting me whilst testing at Croft

Andy D

posted on 5/4/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
As Andy isn't on Facebook - I wanted to personally thank him for the time out he took yesterday in shooting me whilst testing at Croft

I thought it was top secret, so I didn't add your pics to my other Croft thread.

No problem with the pics, your welcome mate. You and the blue meany were looking pretty dam awesome out there!

compturbo

posted on 8/4/15 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
Lovely looking car, and some great photos in this thread! One day..
yellowcab

posted on 28/4/15 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well round one of the RGB Championship was last weekend at Brands Hatch, a mixture of ups and downs from our team with both new cars getting damaged in testing - but the team pulled together and got us out for qualifying on Saturday morning.

I managed to qualify in 6th position for Race 1, and 8th position for Race 2… and Rob Gardiner my team mate managed to qualify in 20th for both races.

A good weekend on the whole, managed to get my first podium with a 3rd in Race 1, but I was more happy with my drive in Race 2 despite coming 7th, as I managed to claw that back from being in 14th position at one point due to a spin, engine was in safe mode / limp mode so very far down on power which is obvious as other cars were pulling away on every straight, so the fact I overtook one car was an achievement, let alone 7…

In Race 2 we raced on our new 'wet' tyres however this turned out to be a wrong decision because from a few laps in the dry line was completely dry which pretty much cooked the tyres...

Anyway - enough ramblings, please enjoy some onboard footage:

My Race 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xo-fQ1ovNo

My Race 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0vFVBj14E

yellowcab

posted on 28/4/15 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 28/4/15 by yellowcab]

welderman

posted on 28/4/15 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
great racing there, well done

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Andy D

posted on 28/4/15 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I watched your vids earlier today, superb! ..you even spun off with style. ..as you say, it was a good recovery through the field in race two.
yellowcab

posted on 28/4/15 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps - I was mighty pissed off with myself for spinning out in the first place, it shouldn't have happened - but it does, hey?

Usually I would have returned to the track in vengeance and red mist, but I kerbed that, and learnt from Cadwell Park last year - so just got my head down, and drove the nuts off it.

Having since learnt it was definitely in limp mode, and producing 40bhp less than the rest of the field - I was even more chuffed.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.