Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: J15 Bodywork/Exhaust
ChrisJ15

posted on 2/8/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
After a long gap of having no time to work on the J15 I'm pleased to say the rear clam is making some sense now. I've mounted the aero catches and even though the blood vessels stand out on your head when you pull the clam into position it does stay put and the alignment looks a lot better.
I do need to strengthen the brackets though. Was thinking of trying some of the low temperature aluminium welding and adding a couple of gussets (phnar phnar!).
Think the serious alignment issues were to do with the rer of the centre tub sitting a bit high.

Looks great with the rear clam closed now:

Next problem is some kind of catch to hold the front lower wing sections into position.
I was thinking of using something like this door catch:

http://www.europaspares.com/exterior-parts/hinges-latches /door-alignment-plate-pin.html

[Edited on 2/8/15 by ChrisJ15]

nickm

posted on 4/8/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris
Looks very neat neater than mine anyway. I am considering a small aliminuim bit of u channel to ensure everything is level. Ive got a pair of the rubber covered bonnet catches in the same place as your aeros but i also need a pair near the arches. But just locking it everytime i leave the garage has helped to shape it.
Noticed your other post about grp on grp maybe the ali u channel with the correct rubber insert may help, but i dont wont to make work for you, i do enough of that to myself. When i had my Tiger the bonnet and scuttle joint had rubber P trim between them ?
I took the boot off this w/e so i could grind a bit of the exhaust weld at the collector away i have 1-2mm of gap between diagonal round tube and exhaust so i took the whole assembly off including the pivot rail using the suspension bolts/nuts and now wished i hadnt bothered chopping my exhaust down it took me a minute !

Getting there

Enjoy

Nick M

ChrisJ15

posted on 6/8/15 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Nick,
I've also found that leaving the rear locked down has really pulled into shape. The front sections where they meet the sill arent too far off now. Ive been routing around on the web for locating pins and I see that Westfield use a little tapered pin that goes into a grommet for part of their bonnet alignment. Think I will use something like that as it doesnt need any downward force as the aero catches are pretty strong, it just needs a bit of alignment.
Im sticking with the exhaust coming out of the rear of the clam and have some further designs for a rear vent where I think I can make it a 'feature' rather than a compromise (hopefully!).
Have renewed vigour for the build now and look forward to getting into the garage each weekend.
Will finish all the bodywork then ship it off for exhaust fabrication. Todo list is getting shorter!

Cheers,
Chris

nickm

posted on 6/8/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris
I had thought of bonnet pins but although they can be well hid i am just a little worried about the slow deterioation of the fibreglass around the pin over time cos mine are quite abit out ? Am thinking about the same type of bonnet fasteners on those points abit like Jeremys light blue Vectis but not very covert so i had considered putting them inside with just the fasteners or even black rivets on the outer body by just cutting a width off the ledge lip.
Im using aeros at the front so i should be able to mount the pins in the thick aliminuim.

Happy building

Nick M

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.