Poll: Shower or a bath or a shower/bath? [View Results]
Bath only
Bath with shower nozzle
Shower only

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shower or a bath or a shower/bath?
cliftyhanger

posted on 16/10/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

The 3 houses are for my two very young daughters and my sisters daughter for once they have grown up enough to be kicked out but in the meantime will be rented to pay off the mortgages. My folks have kindly given the kids the land and I’m building these houses now my own house has been paid off.

Probably telling you what you already know, but IIRC tax law on rental property is about to change to mean that you cannot count your mortgage interest as a before tax expense. I.e. you will end up paying income tax on the rental income before you use the cash to pay mortgage interest.

For some people who already have rental properties, this means that they will be running at a loss or have to increase the rent. And this from a government that claims that they want to make rental property more affordable for tenants.

I have just found this http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/buytolet/article-3153541/Profits-slashed-wealthy-buy-let-landlords-Budget-crackdown-mortgage-tax-relief.html and if that is correct (I realise this stuff seems to change fast) you still get tax relief at basic rate, but if you are lucky enough to be a higher rate tax payer the relief will taper down over a few years to 20%.

Barlidge

posted on 16/10/15 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like it might be some years before the intended occupants move in so maybe fit what suits the rental market with a view to a new bathroom when they move in.

Build Diary: http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111

morcus

posted on 17/10/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, ask around you local letting agents and see what the rental market currently favours. I rarely use the bath but not having one would really weigh against a place I was looking to rent as it gives you far more options.

Saved space in a bathroom is lost space, as its in a bathroom its not really useable. for a couple of years I rented a house I shared with two other people that had two huge bath rooms, on was the size of the third bedroom and the other was at least half that again and it was just wasted space as anything you stored in there would either get damp or get damaged by people using the room.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/15 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
lots of very interesting info there, thanks, I'll wade through it!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 20/10/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
My fiancé's last flat was a new build 2 bed in Edinburgh that had been clearly built with the rental market in mind (or at least the buy to let market)
The pro's answer seems to be to build both:

a bath in the main bathroom (with the option of a shower over it, pipes and wiring already in place but somehow still a £1000 for a cheap electric shower )
and a double size shower in the ensuite off the master bedroom

I guess they wouldn't go to those lengths if they weren't making money - this is the same developer that only painted one side of some internal doors to save money! (barratt)

I've seen a lot of new and renovated houses around here recently that have the same idea and they seem to sell

It wouldn't hurt to have a good look around and see what's being sold or rented near you and try to use that to work out the 'value' of these options

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
We have 2 young children in a 2 bed so a bath is essential for younger ones. When we redid bathroom we found a nice wide bath, effectively a shower bath. Its a normal length (1700) bath and is 700 wide at one end (along wall with toilet and basin) with a kink along length out to 800w. It has a nice flat bottom with tight radius at bottom maximising standing space. It also has a lip along the edge so a shower screen can sit nicely against it and guides water back into bath

^^ I've done something very similar

mine is a cheap 'L' shaped bath that's got quite square corners - its 1675x700, but 850mm wide at the shower end
http://www.betterbathrooms.com/baths/shower-baths/l-shaped-shower-baths/1675mm-right-hand-square-shower-bath-excludes-panel/

mine doesn't have the fancy shaping to help keep the water in (I wish it did) and the screen that came with it isn't amazing either, but I have an answer - these chrome trim bits for cars
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1920-self-adhesive-chrome-strip.aspx

I've stuck it around the edge of the bath just outside the shower screen to create a lip to stop the water escaping and the shower screen has a very basic seal on it to help shed the worst of the water.
I didn't silicon it around the edges to seal it up (as it was experimental and didn't want it to be too much work to remove it) and it does need it to seal properly - I'm going to redo it and the rest of the silicon in the bathroom as soon as I get any time.....

[Edited on 20/10/2015 by mcerd1]

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.