Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New RC car
SJ

posted on 17/3/16 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
We've got a couple of old Tamiya cars [Imprezza and buggies] and a cheapy nitro buggy which is great but the quality of the components aren't up to the speed it can do - basically it breaks something every time we drive it!
jeffw

posted on 17/3/16 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I use to race Corally Pro-10 back in the day, did the British Championship and the Euros but I was never A final material. Did hang out with some World Champions though

nick205

posted on 17/3/16 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm liking this, it seems there are lots of other RC fans out there as well

nick205

posted on 17/3/16 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Son no.1 has an HPI Mini Recon. It's a good car, fast and 4WD so goes off road OK. The downside is that the front shocks are mounted on the front of the front wishbones. Whilst the car is generally strong and reliable the way the front shocks are mounted makes it prone to damage if it hits something (being an RC car they tend to do that). New shocks are £10 a set and I've already fitted two sets, much to my annoyance. Still he loves it and doesn't moan when it needs fixing so it's not too bad.

jeffw

posted on 17/3/16 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
This is the sort of thing I use to race

[Edited on 17/3/16 by jeffw]

nick205

posted on 17/3/16 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ Makes me dizzy just watching it

I'm more into big open fields where you can go flat out in a straight line.

jeffw

posted on 17/3/16 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
If you want dizzy.....1/12th scale indoors WC

CNHSS1

posted on 17/3/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Worked in the model trade for 18years, about 10 of which for race far inporters and distributors. Did lots of R&D, product evaluation etc for Ho Bao, Yokomo, Associated amongst others.

Raced 1/12th scale from 80s although only during the winter as 1/10th electric off road was my main focus. Over the years raced 1/8th rallycross, very occasional 1/8th circuit, lots of Pro10 (loved my TRC Predator Lynx 2 and original RC1OL), 1/10th Touring cars ( still have a couple of yokomos somehwere) 10th nitro circuit, 10th gas trucks. Great times, lots of friends made in uk, europe and states.
Often think when im freezing my knackers off in the garage or contorting myself under a car, i do think back to my dink racing days when i could sit in the warm in the spare room and prep my rc cars! Think i have it wrong playing with 12inches to the foot scale cars these days. My 2 sons at 5 &7 are showing interest so maybe i will get another go :-)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

nick205

posted on 18/3/16 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Worked in the model trade for 18years, about 10 of which for race far inporters and distributors. Did lots of R&D, product evaluation etc for Ho Bao, Yokomo, Associated amongst others.

Raced 1/12th scale from 80s although only during the winter as 1/10th electric off road was my main focus. Over the years raced 1/8th rallycross, very occasional 1/8th circuit, lots of Pro10 (loved my TRC Predator Lynx 2 and original RC1OL), 1/10th Touring cars ( still have a couple of yokomos somehwere) 10th nitro circuit, 10th gas trucks. Great times, lots of friends made in uk, europe and states.
Often think when im freezing my knackers off in the garage or contorting myself under a car, i do think back to my dink racing days when i could sit in the warm in the spare room and prep my rc cars! Think i have it wrong playing with 12inches to the foot scale cars these days. My 2 sons at 5 &7 are showing interest so maybe i will get another go :-)

with experience like yours you'd be crazy to miss out and not try to get your kids into it. Mine love it although it has to be said they need guidance on not driving into hard objects and damaging the cars.

Off to the park again with mine this afternoon after picking them up from school - it creates quite a bit of interest amongst the parents

ETA...the video above is nuts! I just don't think I have the concentration to drive like that.

[Edited on 18/3/16 by nick205]

CNHSS1

posted on 18/3/16 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
RC cars and models in general are awesome, but it spoilt what was originally my hobby in the end. Loved the business side, but turning up to events week in week out to race myself, and getting whinged at as Little johnnys car had 'failed' and hed only crashed it into a wall/tree/parked car 25 times, blah blah blah, but it was the manufacturers or importers fault etc etc, cheesed me off in the end.
having been away from the scene for 9years now, im sure I could enjoy it again. been playing with quadcopters recently, also good fun :-)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

loggyboy

posted on 18/3/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
ETA...the video above is nuts! I just don't think I have the concentration to drive like that.

You can understand how Lewis Hamilton (unknowingly i suspect) proved to his dad he was worth investing in when you see him winning RC car races at 8.

Mistral Motorsport

CNHSS1

posted on 18/3/16 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Lewiss brother Nick is pretty handy on the transmitter sticks too

nick205

posted on 18/3/16 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

You can understand how Lewis Hamilton (unknowingly i suspect) proved to his dad he was worth investing in when you see him winning RC car races at 8.

Indeed, some have it some don't - I recall watching a video of Tony Pond lapping the TT circuit in a Rover road car with an average speed over 100mph and talking in a relaxed manner whilst doing it. I go quiet and concentrate when going fast.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.