Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring a Car - what material for a bus?
Ivan

posted on 25/3/16 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring a Car - what material for a bus?

I am busy rewiring the fuse box on my Cobra and want to make a bus with bolted wire takeoffs to the fuses to neaten the +ve side of the fuse box.

I have two suitable strips of metal - one Aluminium and the other Stainless steel - are either OK to use or should I get something else?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 25/3/16 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I am busy rewiring the fuse box on my Cobra and want to make a bus with bolted wire takeoffs to the fuses to neaten the +ve side of the fuse box.

I have two suitable strips of metal - one Aluminium and the other Stainless steel - are either OK to use or should I get something else?


Copper strip, wiped with Vaseline or silicone grease?

Aluminium will corrode, Stainless is a poor conductor...

Dan

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Bluemoon 's Yahoo
balidey

posted on 25/3/16 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
This any good to you?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/Electrical+Accessories/sd2620/Earth+Block/p63372





Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Edwardo

posted on 25/3/16 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I used these (although the 100A version) - either way they are still massively overated for the job:-

Auto & Marine Power Distribution Bus Bar 10 Way Screw - 150A


[img][/img]


[img][/img]

(The big red lead was just for testing something by the way)

I also used these for the earthing points rather than dodgy screw connections all over the frame:-

Neutral/Earth Bar JEW103A 100amp Brass Bar


Cheers
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 25/3/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - I will see if I can get a copper bus or something suited from the local electrical supplier once the Easter weekend is over.

Any other ideas are also welcome.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/3/16 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
just make sure it can't come off in a crash or touch any thing metal (bearing in mind the body could be distorted) if it comes off the battery with no main fuse to it all hell could let rip
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Mr+Whippy 's Aim
indykid

posted on 25/3/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
just make sure it can't come off in a crash or touch any thing metal (bearing in mind the body could be distorted) if it comes off the battery with no main fuse to it all hell could let rip

Make sure it has a main fuse to it in any case





me? ambivalent? well, yes and no

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toprivetguns

posted on 25/3/16 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Very neat install - really like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo
I used these (although the 100A version) - either way they are still massively overated for the job:-

Auto & Marine Power Distribution Bus Bar 10 Way Screw - 150A


[img][/img]


[img][/img]

(The big red lead was just for testing something by the way)

I also used these for the earthing points rather than dodgy screw connections all over the frame:-

Neutral/Earth Bar JEW103A 100amp Brass Bar


Cheers
Tony






Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 26/3/16 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to a suggestion from 02GF74 I will be making the bus from a piece of cut and flattened Cu water pipe. As suggested by him I can tabs from it or drill it and use bolted connections.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.