Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Selling a fake watch
bi22le

posted on 29/8/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Selling a fake watch

First of all I apologise for another off topic but LCB is one of my 'to go to' information sources and unfortunately my recent life has not included much car orientated stuff. I promise to keep it down.

Now, back to the off topic!

Long story but basically I was given a fake Longines Master Collection watch brand new in its box with fake warentee, the lot. It had me fooled until I looked at the back of it and checked out images on Google. Now the real ones retail at 1200 and I know this is worth diddle squat but I want rid of it and want to see what it is worth.

Essentially selling fake stuff is illegal, I think, in the UK so what shall I do. Just throw it away in the bin? I dont wear watches and dont really want to give it away.

I cant help thinking this would be worth something to someone but dont want to get into trouble.

What would you lot do?

Sell, and if so where?
Throw?
Give away to anyone that may be interested?
Swap on here for car parts?!?!?

Cheers.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rusty nuts

posted on 29/8/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help I'm afraid but it reminds me of Turkish market traders selling "genuine fakes"
sdh2903

posted on 29/8/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'd give it away. Less hassle.
Smoking Frog

posted on 29/8/16 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Another option: Hammer Time
quote:

Can't help I'm afraid but it reminds me of Turkish market traders selling "genuine fakes"

Seen the same sign in Bodrum market. Made me smile.

balidey

posted on 29/8/16 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a fake, its an homage.
As long as you are clear in your adverts that it is a reproduction then I would sell it on.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

ReMan

posted on 29/8/16 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
£20

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

benchmark51

posted on 29/8/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had a fake tenner once. Didn't have the queens head on it, had Bernard Manning instead. Left it on the pub floor and watched people try to pick it up without being seen. It was hilarious.
BigFaceDave

posted on 29/8/16 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Seen the same sign in Bodrum market. Made me smile.

In 2009 I went to turunc about 15 miles further on from bodrum and they had a shop called fake and genuine fakes! I don't wear watches but was very tempted with a 'genuine' digital Rolex!

BenB

posted on 29/8/16 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sell it as a "reproduction". Surely to be done for passing-off you have to make the potential buyer believe it's original. I guess the copyright owner could go after you but I suspect they're unlikely to do so on an individual basis.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 29/8/16 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think how much you are looking to sell it for and where will indicate how much of a problem you'll have. Sell it for 20 / 50 quid as a fake / reproduction on here and you'll be fine.
Sell it for 600 as a homage on eBay and the real company may get interested as I know some forms take their copyright very seriously.

What does it look like?

benchmark51

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you make it abundantly clear it is a fake and you are not seeking to cheat anyone I can't see a problem.

We build, buy and sell Locost cars but we don't try and pass them off as genuine Lotus 7's. We all know Locost a vastly superior

jossey

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just be careful whatever you do. One of my friends was arrested for selling a fake watch as a fake off gumtree.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keith777

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Watch

Hi Bizzle, how much are you looking for for your genuine fake watch
Cheers keith.

[Edited on 29/8/16 by keith777]

cheers Keith

coozer

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a fake Rolex in Ibiza donkeys ago.. Very bling and never missed a beat.. When the battery ran out I took it down the town to the Jewelries and when he opened it up it had a Seiko movement inside.

Had it for about 20 years!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dave_424

posted on 29/8/16 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not illegal to sell a replica...
morcus

posted on 29/8/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Most online selling places won't let you sell reproduction watches, I wanted to buy one a couple of years ago for a bit of fun.

I'd give it away in your position (Though I'd keep the fake warrantee and maybe the box to stop them getting in trouble trying to pass it on. As a school boy I would have loved something like that.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

bi22le

posted on 29/8/16 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of your replies. As always, done great advice.

There have been a few people approach me wanting it so this is my plan.

I'm going to take it to a couple of shops tomorrow and check it is actually fake and get an evaluation. Ill then post up photos and FS on here and let it go for the best price. For anyone interested it looks identical to this one linked below. It has a clear back and a kinematic movement in the back

Does this seem fair / sensible?

http://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/longines-master-cream-dial-watch.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwuo--BRDDws3x65LL7h8SJABEDuFRyKs6vcOuel9KKwAy1LQbh91bLKfo7PQ6C2qonp YlEhoCemTw_wcB

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

gremlin1234

posted on 29/8/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le" Ill then post up photos and FS on here and let it go for the best price."...

"Does this seem fair / sensible?"
nope not sensible, sites like locostbuilders should not be seen to be promoting 'dodgy' items. ebay seem to 'get away with it' somehow though

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 30/8/16 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good plan Bizz
Matt21

posted on 30/8/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Binning it is a waste. Just because it isn't a genuine doesn't mean that it isn't a perfectly good, usable watch which serves it's intended purpose.

Some one out there will make use of it and not let the materials used go to waste.

I think the idea of selling it on is great, as long as the person knows it is not genuine then there is no problem. It is obviously still worth something at the end of the day, just depends what people are willing to pay.

As for the comment on LCB promoting the sale of fake goods... what?! haha

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 30/8/16 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
That watch is gorgeous - its pretty much my ideal watch. Had one like it years ago that a shop lost when replacing the battery.

I'm interested - although i'm expecting it to sell for far more than my cheap northern soul will let me pay.

bi22le

posted on 30/8/16 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le" Ill then post up photos and FS on here and let it go for the best price."...

"Does this seem fair / sensible?"
nope not sensible, sites like locostbuilders should not be seen to be promoting 'dodgy' items. ebay seem to 'get away with it' somehow though

I will also be looking out for and reading these comments closely.

If I have misjudged the LCB collective and the general concensus is to NOT sell it via LCB then so be it. I dont want to be cast aside or thrown from this site, I ruddy love it to much!!

The thought of selling something that is described accurately with plenty of photos should not cause a comcern though in my books. Who knows, I may donate a %age to the website . . . .

loggyboy

posted on 30/8/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
One member selling one dodgy watch is not gonna bring the site any concerns.

Mistral Motorsport

ken555

posted on 30/8/16 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Call it a Dutton and it will be fine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Adamirish

posted on 30/8/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I too may be interested. I know it's a "replica" doesn't bother me. It's a nice watch whether it's real or not. Let me know a price (after the others above of course) when/if you're ready to sell. I have a feeling it's going to be too expensive for me though!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.