Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12 or modern R1 engine?
flanders

posted on 6/9/16 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
Yes the DD2 works great. It has an Aux light which I use for the neutral indicator. I do miss having needles spin round though, but that's personal choice!

No problem, U2U me your e-mail and I'll send you a .pdf of the wiring diagram and the workshop manual. The manual shows you how the plumbing is supposed to be and where the wires clip to etc, it's detailed.

If anyone else wants these docs, give me a shout and I'll send a mass e-mail later tonight/ this weekend.

U2U sent mate

has anyone added an oil cooler to the zx12? are the adapter/sandwich plates available for these? i have one on my ZX9, could this be reused?

flanders

posted on 30/9/16 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know what could be swapped over on to a zx12 from my zx9 set-up (if anything)

ie
sprocket adapter,
engine cradle,
oil cooler adapter,
exhaust?

looks like ill need a whole new fuel system (tank, pump, new lines) so anything that can be salvaged from my current set-up would be handy

CosKev3

posted on 30/9/16 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps if you are lucky the prop adapter as both engines are Kawasaki,and the oil cooler adapter.

Cradle deffo won't be direct fit as the Zx12r engine is massive!(and weighs a ton too)

Again 99% sure the exhaust won't fit due to the size of the zx12 head,can't see the ports matching.

flanders

posted on 30/9/16 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Perhaps if you are lucky the prop adapter as both engines are Kawasaki,and the oil cooler adapter.

Cradle deffo won't be direct fit as the Zx12r engine is massive!(and weighs a ton too)

Again 99% sure the exhaust won't fit due to the size of the zx12 head,can't see the ports matching.

Dam it! i knew it was a long shot

twybrow

posted on 30/9/16 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
The ZX12 has a oil cooler which is sandwiched under the oil filter. It is an oil to water cooler so relies upon a reasonable cooling system.

The prop adapter will fit, and I suspect with some chopping you could find the zorst is useful, but I suspect the ports and tube are different sizes.

I run a fuel pump from another injected bike engine. If you already have a carb setup, then convert it to a swirl pot setup and have the high pressure efi pump work from the swirl pot.

flanders

posted on 30/9/16 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ok! Good news. Can you elaborate a bit on the fuel set up you suggest? I'm not too clued up here
Do you mean feed the swirl pot from my existing single line from the tank then run the high pressure flow and return from the swirl pot?
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
The ZX12 has a oil cooler which is sandwiched under the oil filter. It is an oil to water cooler so relies upon a reasonable cooling system.

The prop adapter will fit, and I suspect with some chopping you could find the zorst is useful, but I suspect the ports and tube are different sizes.

I run a fuel pump from another injected bike engine. If you already have a carb setup, then convert it to a swirl pot setup and have the high pressure efi pump work from the swirl pot.

twybrow

posted on 30/9/16 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I believe you could do exactly what you suggest. Original pump to fill swirl pot, an overflow back to the tank, then use a high pressure pump to come out of the swirl pot, to the fuel rail, then back to the tank again. The zx12 fuel rail has a pressure regulator built in, so any hp fuel pump that supplies enough flow rate, will work. I use a Triumph Daytona pump from my original engine setup.
flanders

posted on 1/10/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Perfect, got you! My problem lies with my old plastic fuel tank, there no return spout and no way (that I know of) to all one so it's a New tank, the cost is of this conversion is rising significantly . I'm beginning to wonder if I'm best just to sell up and buy a whole new car.
It depends what I can pick up second hand...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.