Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Contesting speeding ticket with GPS data?
coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you wanted to do this you'd have to get independent verification of the GPS accuracy (test lab) and have sufficient log frequency that you could not logically deviate within that log period. How much are you willing to spend?

Given the power and mass of your vehicle you could put bounds on your max and min possible speed in the time between the log points, and you've got a +/- on the speed in the first place from it's measurement points. There's a damn good chance you couldn't prove you were not at 36 for example.

[Edited on 6/12/16 by coyoteboy]

nick205

posted on 6/12/16 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Just put this down to experience and try to improve your speed(trap) awareness!

I had a clean license for about 12 years and then managed to get a speeding fine for doing 72 in a 50 on a motorway section which has no apparent need to be a 50MPH section. I actually asked the police why this section was 50MPH and they told me it is because, just after it was built (perhaps 15 years ago now) some locals used to still walk home using a route which required them to walk across the motorway and the reduced limit was to give them more of a chance to get across safely! I could barely contain myself at this explanation! What happened to letting Darwin decide???

Then about 6 months later I got a TS10 traffic light ticket for going through a supposed red light which was definitely not red and had only just turned to amber as I went past the point of no return. I was extremely annoyed at this as it was (hand on heart) not fair but after reviewing the law on traffic lights, there was a snowball's chance in hell of contesting it against the word of no less then 3 police officers in the traffic car. Even going through an amber light is an offence unless you can prove it was not safe to stop as you may be aware.

So from 0 points to 6 in 6 months was not great! Anyway, that was in 2012 and 2013 and I'm back to a clean license again and long may that continue.

Not got a license at the moment, but some years ago I reached 11 points in speeding offences (you lose your license at 12 points). I drove like a vicar for some time thereafter.

I've never argued with or contested offences - doesn't seem worth the effort, likely cost and almost certain fail to me.

Ivan

posted on 7/12/16 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
This is in South Africa:

I got a speeding fine for doing 89kph in a 80 zone - a check on my GPS track showed that I was nowhere near the camera at the exact time shown by the camera (about 2km away) and was doing 66 in a 60 zone. I didn't mention the location issue but sent them the piece of the GPS track for that time and they withdrew the case.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.