Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: trackday BEC exhaust noise again
andyfiggy2002

posted on 22/8/17 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't a 1400 rev to 10k & a 900 to 12k? So I think you have the advantage when it's comes to screaming motorbike engines considering the noise tests done at 3/4 max revs on strictist tracks? Or is it 2/3? anyway i would love to fit a dustbin but as Ive only 21" of space would need a bloody fat dustbin & then im gonna hit ground clearance issues. I guess could chop my headers down so instead of 4 into 2 into 1 maybe try 4 into 1 to allow more length (ohh err missus) on silencer or as ive mentioned just have my 4" with additional one connected in-line in rear boot space. I mean your boggy standard road car has 2 silencers or technically a resonator & silencer, maybe some one could enlighten me to the diff between a resonator & a silencer?
Phil_1471

posted on 23/8/17 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Try a stock exhaust, I have one from a GSXR for my R1 4xv works really well as has 3 internal chambers to help reduce pulse.

http://drriders.com/topic8341-10.html

Phil

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

andyfiggy2002

posted on 23/8/17 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to use a chambered R1 can until AB told me under hard track day use it would increase engine temps because of it's more restrictive nature
Phil_1471

posted on 24/8/17 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with AB. However it's similar to putting more boxes on, you will restrict flow causing heat build up. I guess it's about finding the balance between cost, decreased performance and heat build up and noise.

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

andyfiggy2002

posted on 24/8/17 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
I posted this thread as a discussion point & maybe I come out with some wacky ideas but thats how the design of an F1 car evolves, thinking outside the box.

So why are ALL exhaust tailpipes round directing the noise into a small spot, what if you diffused the sound by fitting a fishtail tail pipe similar to the old vintage motorbikes rotated so it was directed under the car at say 45 degrees down so it bounces off the road surface first, the noise would be thrown backwards with the airflow, possibly need some heat shield initially to protect underside of car. Isnt it the same theory that when you water the garden with a hose pipe the nossle can be adjusted to either throw out the water in a long thin stream or diffused outwards where it travels half the distance but over a wider area??? I mean where would mr scruitneer direct his noise meter?

[Edited on 24/8/17 by andyfiggy2002]

Paul_r

posted on 24/8/17 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
My 893cc Megablade is fitted with the AB performance composite airbox along with a repackable 6" can. I too was worried about passing the static noise test on my first track day at Oulton, prior to the day I took it to Oulton whilst there was another track day on and asked the marshalls to noise test it for me, this gave me the time to make modifications if necessary. However, I needn't have worried because it passed easily - if I remember correctly it read high 90's on the static and never triggered any of the drive by noise monitors :-)...I've attached some photo's of the set up below:

andyfiggy2002

posted on 24/8/17 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I think we've got oulton & anglesey covered........ what about stricter tracks like bedford, donington, goodwood, thruxton or combe in a 12000 rpm BEC & what are these tested at 3/4 or 2/3??
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.