New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motor mouth speaks of planes
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/1/05 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Motor mouth speaks of planes

The Sunday Times - Review

January 23, 2005

Jeremy Clarkson: Jumbo, a brilliant white elephant
At a lavish, laser-speckled launch party in France last week, Tony Blair said that the new Airbus was “a symbol of confidence that we can compete and win in the global market”.

Nearly right, you big-eared thicko. Actually, it is a symbol of confidence that we can compete and win in the global market despite the utter stupidity of your government.

The gigantic wings for this plane are built by British Aerospace in north Wales. But each one is far too large to be taken to Toulouse by road and far too heavy to be taken there by air. So they are loaded on to barges in the port of Mostyn and floated down the Irish Sea, across the Channel and then through France’s canal network.

Plainly this is idiotic. It would be much easier and cheaper to build them in France but politically this would be no good at all because the Airbus is intended to show how European co-operation can work. We do the wings and the engines, the French put everything together, the Germans finish everything off and the Spanish . . . actually, I don’t know what the Spanish do, apart from gatecrash the launch party and lisp.

You would imagine then that Tony’s government would be doing everything in its power to make sure that Britain’s contribution was smooth and effortless. But no. Those wings can be loaded on to the barges only at high tide because the monumentally daft Environment Agency won’t let anyone dredge the harbour at Mostyn.

Why ever not? Well, there’s the European Union Habitats Directive, you see, that was drawn up to protect worms and slugs from the perils of profit. Elsewhere on the Continent they don’t apply it to navigational routes but in Britain we do. So, thanks to the green-eyed madness of our men in parkas, building the most advanced plane in the skies is governed by the needs of an invertebrate and the orbit of the moon.

I have another problem with Tony’s launch speech, too, because he described the A380 as “the most exciting new aircraft in the world”. Even if we ignore the fact that he can’t possibly know since it hasn’t actually left the ground yet, I am not sure that he’s right.

Technically, of course, we must doff our caps to the engineers who have built a cross-Channel ferry that can fly. It is far from the prettiest machine ever made but we should marvel at the quietness of its engines, its 8,000-mile range, its ability to take off on conventional runways and its parsimonious drinking habits. It uses less fuel per passenger than a Ford Fiesta.

Yes, at the moment, despite much plastic and carbon fibre in its construction, the A380 is four tons overweight, but when the 747 was rolled out in the 1960s that was 50 tons overweight. So let’s not get too worried. They could save four tons by simply removing one American passenger.

Plainly the weight issue has not worried Virgin, Emirates and the other carriers that have placed orders. Even British Airways would do the same, except that its long-haul fleet is fairly new and it hasn’t got any money.

So the message is clear. For the airlines and their shareholders this enormous plane is marvellous. But I am not sure that it is quite so rosy for you and me.

Certainly life will be worse at airports because to accommodate these giants the gates have to be further apart. Walk past four A380s to reach your plane and you will have walked the length of four football pitches.

That is presuming you got past the check-in. I guess you have all experienced the ludicrous queues that build up now. Well, imagine how long they are going to be when there are half a dozen A380s scheduled to depart within 15 minutes of one another. With seating for 550 on each one that is 3,300 people to be interrogated, 3,300 suitcases to be loaded, 3,300 pieces of hand luggage to be x-rayed and 3,300 pairs of shoes to be examined.

Do you think that Virgin or Emirates will spend the money that they have saved on fuel by employing more check-in staff? I doubt it. As a result you will need to arrive at the terminal 3,300 hours before take-off. Then there is the flight itself to worry about.

Airbus made sure that its launch video featured on-board gyms and bars. There were big squidgy double beds and probably a polo lawn or two. But the reality is that airlines will fill the entire fuselage with seats they’ve nicked from a primary school to wedge the passengers in like veal.

In other words, being on board the A380 will be exactly the same as being on board any other jet liner. Exciting? I don’t think so, Tony.

This brings me to the final point. You see, the cruising speed of the A380 is Mach 0.85 (647mph), which is pretty good for something with the aerodynamic properties of a wheelie bin and engines that run on mineral water. But the 747 cruises at Mach 0.855 (651mph). This means that the 747 gets you there faster and means that you spend less time with your face wedged in an American’s armpit.

On that basis you can marvel at how Airbus has jumped through political hoops and climbed technical mountains to bring the world its shareholder friendly A380. But you are better off going in a Boeing.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 23/1/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
He does have a way with words, dont he

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

dmottaway

posted on 23/1/05 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
2 more anti-american zingers

posted on 23/1/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
He does have a way with words, dont he

,Nevertheless it's reality!

Except that of the Americans

[Edited on 23/1/05 by Cita]

britishtrident

posted on 23/1/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ginger fire up the old Dragon-Rapide and w'll buzz over Toulouse and show the cheese eaters what a wizard prang airliner it is.

Tiff Needell got up my nose the other week (painful) with his documentary thingy about a new vlcc or has he called it a super tanker -- another lot of true "histortic" --

What ever happen to Tridents, Raymond Baxter, Bristol Brabazon, colour on a black and white TV, Jowett Jupiters, Pink Windolene, Cremola Foam, James Burke, Simon Dee, raddiator blinds, Peco Exhaust Boosters, Standard Atlas vans, Scammel Mechanical Horses, Chocolate Vienna Biscuits, the lovely sound of Commer diesel engines, Austin Champs, Bond Bugs, June Palmer , Gob Stoppers (oh la la !)

[

[Edited on 23/1/05 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 23/1/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
The Sunday Times - Review

J0. But you are better off going in a Boeing.

"Get apon a Boeing Going Hi ! "
"The High Life !!!!!!!!"

As the lads at Air Scotia say "Donnae frassle !"

[Edited on 23/1/05 by britishtrident]

JoelP

posted on 23/1/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
americans do seem to be the current butt of everyones jokes nowadays - the new irishman really, since ireland is too close to ridicule and the potato affair was a bit too much of a pisstake too...

dont take it personal guys, its just you're the current trendy butt...

as an aside, i plan to honeymoon in the good ol' us - if they let me in...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/1/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
clarkson has said that he always liked america, until he went there.

when he did his chat show, there was a world map on the wall. Where america should be was just two straight lines from canada to mexico with a big water filled gap.

Its just his way of being scarchastically controversial.

I dont think americans would 'get' clarkson humor.

I described a clarkson video when they played conkers with caravans, helecopter gunshipped a corvette on a salt flat, etc, to some american friends, and they just though it was daft.

atb

steve

ps

ive been to wisconsin several times, and there are some fecking huge people there.

go to venice beach in LA and its TOTALLY the opposite, i thought id died, gone to heaven and was in a baywatch episode!

[Edited on 23/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

Rorty

posted on 24/1/05 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
americans do seem to be the current butt of everyones jokes nowadays - the new irishman really, since ireland is too close to ridicule and the potato affair was a bit too much of a pisstake too...

dont take it personal guys, its just you're the current trendy butt...

as an aside, i plan to honeymoon in the good ol' us - if they let me in...

Being an Irishman, I know what it's like, as a race, to be the butt of many jokes, but that's OK, jokes are all they were.
The Americans' current prediciament is somewhat more deserved as (on the most part) they have brought it upon themselves.
I don't lump any US Locosters in with the masses though, of course.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 24/1/05 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty

Being an Irishman, I know what it's like, as a race....

Since when is there a race such as Irishman?
Belgians being the pisspole for the British-the Dutch-the French since it was founded in 1830 all i can say is...you get used to it...it only takes a long time

Rorty

posted on 24/1/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from Jean Claude Van Dame, I can't recall any Belgian jokes. Do you have any to tell us?

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 24/1/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
They sound like everybody elses!

http://belgian_jokes.tripod.com/JokesENG/id1.html
Ithinkthey've cheated and borrowed a sense of humour.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 24/1/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Only trouble with Belgium is the Germans use it as a short cut to France its the cross roads of europe,
I used to work near Waterloo crossing he road was a highly dangerous venture as you could never be quite sure what nationality was going to try to run you down.

Noodle

posted on 24/1/05 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Belgium is a place you march through on the way to somewhere else. So I'm told.

Being from Wolverhampton gets you alot of stick. Many comedians use it as the butt of their jokes. Do I care? Do I monkeys! They're probably all correct albeit presenting the place in a caricatured way.

I've often thought we need a new and undiscovered continent where the liberal puritans who get everywhere and rain guilt from on high like 18th century papist zealots can board a boat and p!ss off to.

We can get on enjoying ourselves and they can worry themselves ragged about everybody else whilst passing unnecessary laws about anything they hate this week. (Under the faux-umbrella of altruistic concern)

<draws breath>

Ahhhhhh. That was good.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

posted on 24/1/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Apart from Jean Claude Van Dame, I can't recall any Belgian jokes. Do you have any to tell us?

King Albert?

Benzine

posted on 24/1/05 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cool i learnt a new word from that article. 'parsimonious'. Always good to expands ones lexicon.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

The Shootist

posted on 24/1/05 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's OK Rorty...

.....at least we're not French.
Mark18

posted on 24/1/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Being an Irishman, I know what it's like, as a race....

Whereabouts in Ireland are you from? I'm in Kilkenny.

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

Rorty

posted on 24/1/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
quote:

King Albert?

I didn't realise he was Belgian, I always thought he was German. Still, we got a good concert hall because of him.

Cheers, Rorty.

krlthms

posted on 24/1/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about

Oscar Wilde

JoelP

posted on 24/1/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Killkenny

something to do with southpark?!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ian Pearson

posted on 25/1/05 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

But you are better off going in a Boeing

The Americans pretty much decimated our aerospace industry with their "civilianised" ailiners that were funded by their military programs.

It's not often that we beat them at their own game, and it brings a smile to my face to see them wrong footed. As far as size, etc is concerned, the exactly the same was said about the 747 all those years ago. Airports were expanded, runways lengthened, taxiways widened and the same is now happening to accomodate the A380.

Methinks 4 mph is a price worth paying for boosting our aerospace industry!

May Airbus live long and prosper.

Bob C

posted on 25/1/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Our glorious british government in their infinite wisdom GAVE the most important inventions of the 20th century to america after ww2 ( I'm talking about the jet engine and the stored program computer).
Utterly shafting Frank Whittle and Tommy Flowers in the process. Their patronising utter f*cking stupidity beggars belief & has continued unabated ever since.
Not that I'm at all cynical about what motivates the jumped up clerks with a god complex who go into politics...
Bob C
PS Whittle & Flowers are my heroes (& Brunel a bit)

philgregson

posted on 25/1/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I described a clarkson video when they played conkers with caravans, helecopter gunshipped a corvette on a salt flat, etc, to some american friends, and they just though it was daft.

Surely it being daft was entirely the point!

Phil

Mark18

posted on 25/1/05 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
something to do with southpark?!

Haha - funnily enough, I don't hear that half as often as you might think .

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.