Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting External Glass (not car) - any advice
John P

posted on 24/5/23 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Painting External Glass (not car) - any advice

We have some rattan garden furniture which includes a table and 6 chairs and although it's now a few years old it still looks very good apart from the table.

For some reason the rattan which is under a toughened glass top has started to break up and this is now very obviously through the glass.

A replacement table is over £800 so I'm thinking about painting the underside of the existing glass top so that you can't see the damaged rattan. (I know it's a bit of a bodge but I can't afford a replacement table).

Any thoughts on what type of paint to use bearing in mind it will be protected by being under the glass but also outside throughout the year.

On line I've seen suggestions of using an Acrylic paint applied either by aerosol or roller but am I deluding myself that this could work OK.

John.

obfripper

posted on 24/5/23 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Another possibility is to use 1% transmission tinting film, it will be easier to get an even finish and will be more durable.
You should be able to get enough to sort out a tabletop for around £10

Dave

Slater

posted on 25/5/23 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
yes, take the glass to a car window tinting place, quick and easy, plus it will handle the UV.

Or Vinyl wrap the underside of the glass yourself.

Slimy38

posted on 25/5/23 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's really easy to get a good finish on the back of glass, just make sure the paint is thick enough to not show any gaps. I'd suggest roller rather than aerosol, and as ever make sure the surface is spotless first as any marks or dirt will show up embedded in the paint. The finish can be as rough as anything on the face but through glass it'll look perfect.

Vinyl wrap is the opposite, it looks good if you're putting it on the face but putting it on the reverse has to be absolutely perfect otherwise you'll be able to see every kind of bubble and dust mark. Taking it to the professionals would work but I wouldn't consider it a DIY thing.

gremlin1234

posted on 25/5/23 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I am wondering if you could just paint the rattan surface?
jacko

posted on 25/5/23 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t paint it it will flake in a short time where I use to work we painted the glass on destination glass on buses it always flake
As said use a film it will last a lot better
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
red22

posted on 26/5/23 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
You could always sandblast the glass for a frosted opaque finish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.