Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Expanding Foam Seats, any pics?
Humbug

posted on 30/3/05 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
My 2 penn'orth: on my ST the floor is steel, not ali. I know because a) it was hard to drill through and b) I checked with a magnet.

Because of the ST harness mount height problem I was planning to bolt the seats directly to the floor with some honking great washers I saw in Wickes at the weekend - they must be 2" diameter.

Anyone any thoughts on this with a steel floor, or should I still be looking at some bracing/spreader plates?

NS Dev

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
With a steel floor, I'd be happy with that. Certainly Ian gray said that's what most people do as far as he knows.

My car has the race thin lightweight alloy floor, I riveted it in!

MikeR

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
in my mind the seat doesn't take a lot of force - the seat belts should be holding you in so that should cover it nicely.
NS Dev

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, my thoughts as well.
RazMan

posted on 31/3/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
in my mind the seat doesn't take a lot of force - the seat belts should be holding you in so that should cover it nicely.

The harness only really keeps braking / frontal collision forces under control Sideways and rear collision forces might be an issue though - best to secure it like your life depends on it ....... it might

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 31/3/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Errm, surely with a rear collision you're going to be pushed back into the seat..... even the smallest bolt is going to hold it in place as its being pushed onto its self - yet has the force spread about the whole seat area.

I'm not sure about cornering as i'd expect a lot of the force to be taken by your seat belt (i'm assuming a min of 4 point here).

Perhaps I'm just wrong.

(that last line isn't supposed to sound like that, i'm just trying to say i've not finished mine so i could be completely wrong & yes mine will be hard against the bulk head)

[Edited on 31/3/05 by MikeR]

[Edited on 31/3/05 by MikeR]

RazMan

posted on 31/3/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ... I was thinking about my own setup - my seat is forward of the rear bulkhead by about 200mm so is totally dependent on the floor mountings. I believe your seat is probably mounted hard against the bulkhead so you are indeed right.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
irvined

posted on 6/4/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Heres some pics of mine:

http://www.irvined.co.uk/gallery/Arches/cimg0232

http://www.irvined.co.uk/gallery/Arches/cimg0238

It needs some trimming and covering. But its nice and comfortable - I'll probably make another which has me sitting lower down and further back, but its a good start.

HTH

David

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.