Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vegan Welding Gloves
millenniumtree

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Vegan Welding Gloves

Problem: Welding gloves are almost invariably made of leather

Reason this is a problem: I'm vegan - like, really seriously vegan. My shoes are plastic or canvas, my coat is synthetic, my work gloves are synthetic, etc, etc.

Solution: Non-leather welding gloves!! Yes I found them!! Turns out they're from a supplier right here in my home town! SCHWEET!!

Vegan Welding Gloves

BTW, my veganity stops where my nose begins - my wife eats meat and probably always will, and I'm OK with that. I'm not preachy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

my wife eats meat and probably always will, and I'm OK with that

am i reading it wrong or is my mind twisted ?

Confused but excited.

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Vegan Welding Gloves

I'm not a vegan or a vegatarian, but I can't understand, why the f*ck would anyone want to eat them in the first place!

[Edited on 1/11/06 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Kissy

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
You're twisted, as am I.
ecosse

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
quote:

my wife eats meat and probably always will, and I'm OK with that

am i reading it wrong or is my mind twisted ?

YES

Cheers

Alex

Kissy

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Being Vegan isn't just about what you eat. It's a case of not using anything that is animal derived - period.
balidey

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Get the wife to do your welding for you
lexi

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by millenniumtree
Problem: Welding gloves are almost invariably made of leather

Reason this is a problem: I'm vegan - like, really seriously vegan. My shoes are plastic or canvas, my coat is synthetic, my work gloves are synthetic, etc, etc.

Solution: Non-leather welding gloves!! Yes I found them!! Turns out they're from a supplier right here in my home town! SCHWEET!!

Vegan Welding Gloves

BTW, my veganity stops where my nose begins - my wife eats meat and probably always will, and I'm OK with that. I'm not preachy.

Brilliant! You`ll make a better feed than Ernie Wise with that post my friend.
Alex

[Edited on 1/11/06 by lexi]

JackNco

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
lol ya a friend of mine is vegan...... originally she is referred to as Vegan rather than Elaine, as it seems to rule her life.

Seen vegan shoes?

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 1/11/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

millenniumtree

posted on 1/11/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
All my shoes are vegan, but none of them were marketed as such - they just happen to be.

I have canvas shoes primarily but also have some 100% man made (plastic) work shoes and boots.

The innuendo about my wife was unintended, but hilarious now that I look at it again.

You know, in case you're ever locked in your garage and need to eat something, it's good to know your welding gloves are not made of skin.

But seriously, I don't even wear things made of wool. I'm not an activist though.

I will control my own existence as much as I am able, but I do not wish to control the world.

Catpuss

posted on 1/11/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I supprised wool is not OK even f its ethically produced.

Probably what you want to look for is something like kevlar gloves & fire suit stuffs.

On an episode of BIG on discovery they made the world's biggest barbeque. One thing they did was a tour of a company that made fire proof clothing. In this place they even tried holding a soldering iron by its tip.

These or something like them may do the job (didn't check to see if they are fully leather ,i.e. trims, sorry)

Hea t Proof Gloves

JackNco

posted on 1/11/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I will control my own existence as much as I am able, but I do not wish to control the world.

Thats what i like to hear, it really winds me up when people say stuff like. *You know a cow died so you could wear that Jacket*

Personaly i usualy say something like

*Yep and my wallet, and shoes. still it would never have been alive if no one brough meat products*

But i can respect people belifes, just winds me up when they try n force them on me.

John

*If cows didn't want to be eaten they wouldn't taste so good * - Only joking

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

Peteff

posted on 1/11/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
100% man made (plastic) work shoes and boots

Strewth your feet must stink What with that and the veggy farts you must be a hoot . Sorry mate only kidding but do you ever bite your fingernails? Who sorts the meals out at your house, do you have your own menus?

[Edited on 1/11/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

lexi

posted on 1/11/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell! Vegan Gloves and Veggy Farts? Can`t be any worse than some of the carnivorous curry eaters that I hang out with. Plastic shoes and jumpers? You`ll end up with polymer poisoning

Seen any tasty animals about?

Alex

paulbeyer

posted on 1/11/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
If we were supposed to be vegetarian / vegan then God wouldn't have made animals taste of meat.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

caber

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Given the current environmental debate there are a lot of questions as to how ethical it is to use products highly processed from non renuable resources i.e. anything made of plastic or other hydrocarbon based product.

I do not see a problem with wool, it does not require the animal to be killed and sheering sheep makes them a lot more comfortble in the summer and less suseptible to lots of nasty skin diseases. Cotton is OK, cellulose is OK, latex gloves are fine, PVC aren't, Fleeces are OK as they are frequently made from post consumer waste, typically plastic drinks bottles, Leather well here's the question. You can an the hide of a dead animal, in fact a lot of low grade leather comes from knakers, the companies that take dead, injured or otherwise dying animals not fit for eating. Surely this is ethically acceptable leather?

My point of view is that I would rather spend my carbon allowance on fuel and essential plastics rather than clothes and tools!.

Caber

lexi

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind the carbon allowance. Whit aboot the family allowance That latest catchprase is nowt more than income tax!
Alex

millenniumtree

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
I do not see a problem with wool, ...
Leather well here's the question ... not fit for eating. Surely this is ethically acceptable leather?

The standard arguments against wool and leather are as follows:

Wool - you're still raising the animal as a product. Without the product, you would have no need to raise the animal. Even it does make them more comfortable, they wouldn't exist if there weren't a demand for the product.

Leather - The main argument for leather is that the animal is there already, killed for meat, so why not use the skin - but you won't find me eating a burger either. Again, no burgers, no leather.

As far as plastics go... I probably use a lot less plastic than most other people - I try to use renewable resources whenever possible, and I use my products much longer than your typical american consumer. I don't treat things as disposable as much as some others - part of the reason I love this site - take something "old and rusty" and turn it into something "new and sporty!"

Anyway, I'm not here to preach, just to say how I see it.

Also, joking or not, I try not to bash other's beliefs. (but I'm also not at all offended when others play with my own beliefs) Trust me, I've heard all the jokes.

Anyway, it's not about me, it's about the COOL GLOVES! CHECK EM!!!

lexi

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Anyway I think you are some turn. Big round of applause for tonights special guest.......VEEEEEEEEEEEGAN GLOOOVES
Alex

Mansfield

posted on 1/11/06 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Did you see that sheep in Australia a couple of years ago that fled to the hills and did not get sheared for several years?

It weighed such an enormous amount I am suprised it could walk. Once sheared it must have thought it was floating everywhere.

What did sheep do before we started shearing them?

Totally respect your beliefs millenniumtree, each to his own and refreshing to see you will not force your beliefs on others. Wish all religion was like that, world would be a much better place.

Mansfield

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, it was New Zealand, affectionately known as Shrek the sheep. Evaded capture for six years. Must have been hot in that coat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3639315.stm Rescued attachment shrek.jpg
Rescued attachment shrek.jpg

MikeR

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
g/f is ex Vegan and now 'just' veggie.

I'm a committed meat eater. Means we have some interesting conversations like,

I almost had a vegetarian meal tonight!
Almost?
yeah lots of veg and something that used to eat veg
[stern look]

We had a discussion about geletine at the weekend, i wanted to make jelly. My argument was if the hooves where left overs from the meat production then surely that makes it ok. I mean, its not as though you killed the animal to get the hooves and its a waste of that poor animals life. Her response ........
[stern look]

decided to try and persuade her to eat meat, got her eating prawn cocktail crisps which she enjoyed (amazingly they have no meat and are veggie friendly!)

She couldn't quite face the bacon crisps (also veggie friendly) as one lad was eating pork scratchings - even i drew the line when some of those bits where hairy!!!!!!!!!!!!

lexi

posted on 1/11/06 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mansfield
Sorry, it was New Zealand, affectionately known as Shrek the sheep. Evaded capture for six years. Must have been hot in that coat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3639315.stm

The poor thing is sulking. It`s as if the system has failed it. I wouldn`t like to fall from the height of the sheepskin rug thats gonna make.
Alex

Peteff

posted on 2/11/06 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Vegan gloves $40

Carnivore gloves $5.95

Knowing the cows love you Priceless

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.