Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Saddam is Dead
Dazza

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
good

glad hes dead, no chance of any rescue attemp, bargaining people for his release etc......

I think the death sentance should be brought back here for thise that commit the worst of crimes. serial killers/rapists etc, when they are convicted with no dought in anyones mind.
then execution, saves money and time keeping them in prison for years at the taxpayers expence, just my opinion....

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mistergrumpy

posted on 31/12/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yeas but the fact is that, and I work for our esteemed police service!, they don't always get it right in fact more than 'not always'. Even when they think they have someone, as you rightly say 'without a doubt', there have been times when it turns out down the years that they were wrong and mostly down to little things and I think that that is the reason why we could never have capital punishment here. Ship them all to an island and let them sustain themselves or self sustainable prison ships.

craig1410

posted on 31/12/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is a tricky one isn't it. Mistakes do happen.
Maybe the convict should be given the choice of whether they serve life or end it? The only down side of this would be someone who is so distraught at being wrongly convicted that they see it as a way out. Maybe the convict and two members of family could decide?

One thing I am certain about is that our prison system is too easy on hardened criminals and too hard on those who arguably shouldn't be in prison to begin with. To my mind prison should be somewhere that you go to redeem yourself, not to "network" with fellow criminals and plan your next big robbery!

Also, Prison's should place zero burden on tax payers by making the prisoners pay their way through an honest day's work. I'm not saying that this is easy to implement but it would be worth it I think. Another option would be to use the assets taken from criminals to pay for the running of the prisons.

Cheers,
Craig.

JoelP

posted on 1/1/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
im late to the party as ever, been on holiday.

Whilst you cant deny saddams evil, one would be very naive to think he is that much worse than numerous world leaders (and indeed commoners) that will never face justice. Saddam attacked Iran because he feared the rise of the Shi'ites following the revolution. He was regarded as a more reformist leader back then, introducing stuff like free school places, distributing land to peasants and making iraq the only country in the region NOT judged by islamic courts and sharia. Hence its easy to see why Bush Snr would support him against the Iranians. Cant remember how it all ended, but once the dust settled his country was very poor ($75 billion of war debt). He then invaded Kuwait because he believed they owed him for 'defending' them from Iran. Kuwait is about 20 times richer than iraq in terms of oil reserves per head. That was an unfortunate move as it put him squarely against his old allies. The rest is history i guess.

With a little research i could find details of hundreds of inhumane acts in recent history, and probably a good portion of them perpetrated by Western nations. Of the top of my head, how about the English treatment of the irish just a few centries ago (im no historian but potatoes come to mind) or the americans giving the native indians disease ridden blankets (smallpox?). Now Saddam went beyond these acts, ie butchering a minister and sending the pieces back to his wife etc, but there seems to be a disparity in both world opinion and actions. The court he faced was a kangaroo court. Im quite annoyed he faced such a pathetic set of charges compared to his more serious crimes - maybe the crimes he was convicted of were just the easy ones to prove etc, but it would've been more satisfying if he had had to answer for the chemical attacks on Halabja etc.

Still, time marches on. Theres not much point moaning about anything in particular nowadays because everything is wrong, where ever you look. Just thought id drivel on for a while.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.