Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: help required from all
bob

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
In the last 5 years i can only think of one person who chris had to remove from the site,thats not bad going.

It seems that the self moderating has worked well and in the past a u2u or e-mail has sorted out any problems.

As for people leaving the forum because of this or that....... just go, dont tell us your going as it looks like a vote of support is wanted. (even though i think charlie/snoopy should stay as his knowledge pre SVA is 2nd to none)

Alan B

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Did I miss something?.....what happened?

True, I don't read everything, but I'm soprised something slipped past me.

I know there are few onging personality clashes, but nothing to remotely suggest any underlying problems with the group.

I say keep things as they...we are all grown up, kind of..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think that self moderation is the best policy. This is FAR & AWAY the best & most helpful forum of ANY type that I have ever seen or used, both for it's engineering content (which is not always right, simply because it is written by individuals with their own opinions - surely that is what a forum is about) & for it's assistance with all sorts of other info such as computers, electrical. plumbing etc. B4 we head down the moderator route, perhaps a repeat of some of the basic rules regarding what is "suitable" behaviour might be in order if Chris would put something in the "Announcements" section?
If there was a specific way to respond if anyone found anything said offensive upsetting, disrespectful or just plain out of order - presumably by first contacting the offending party privately by u2u or email then I suspect most offending posters would edit or remove if they realised they had given offence.
Personally I would never intentionally write anything I thought would genuinely give offence - but I know I can be a sarky git!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mookaloid

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
If there was an option in the poll for no moderators I would vote for that

edit: just reread the poll self moderation is good for me

[Edited on 4/1/07 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

oliwb

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Muzchap....I think moderation is a waste of time for all the reasons highlighted. The forum has managed well enough thus far so why ruin a good thing? I think two new sections could be created. One where you can go and eternal slag each other off till the cows come home away from the real locost site and another section of like FAQ's for the build that could be links to really useful threads or something. Would make navigating for new members much easier and would also allow ppl to slag each other off if they wish and also allow the rest of us to ignore them! Kind of like a bitching room??? Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
IF you have to bad mouth someone then please have the b8lls or moral backbone to do it man to man, / woman to woman, / face to face, / handbag to handbag, / etc.
Better still don't say anything because they really are not worth the effort.

Each time someone leave this forum it is a terrible loss, just because of someone else's ego. The loss of information from the knowledge base will NEVER be replaced.

Everyones opinion is valid but it is up to the individual ONLY whether

1 they have to listen to it

2 respond to it

3 ignore it

For example Tony Blair in reality really does know what the majority of the British people think of him. And yet he stays in power.

Enjoy

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

DarrenW

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I cant vote.

1. No experience of moderated sites,
2. Dont understand what qualfications a moderator would need to have to be useful and not fan the flames.
3. Is a moderator any better than those doing the bitching in the first place? Who gives them the right to say what goes and what doesnt? (other than if its for legal reasons)
4. As 99% + of the posts are informative / amusing etc i dont believe moderation is needed.

I for one would be really narked if i started a serious technical thread that got hijacked by the slingers and was then deleted or frozen.

chockymonster

posted on 4/1/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've moderated on a number of other sites and being a balanced reviewer is very difficult. You do get a Them/Us feeling but it usually comes from the users not understanding the role of the moderator. It isn't just to moderate the posts, it's also to protect the site. A lot of stuff that gets said on forums could be classed as libel and have detrimental effect on the forum.

As for the "current situation", as I see it there are 3 groups. Those doing the winding and the baiting, those that get affected by it and those that ignore it. One of the key things about forums is "Don't feed the troll" With no food he goes quiet. Now this isn't a personal dig, it's my view point.

There are a lot of very intelligent people with a lot to offer on here. If someone is winding you up, add them to your ignore list. If they post on a sensible topic you can view each post as you see fit.
If you can't deal with that and want to leave then don't bother with the "I'm going" threads, it's a bigger waste of time and further food for the troll.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Marcus

posted on 4/1/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would give this site 12 months tops if we started having moderators. I've been here for 5 years now (bloody hell!), built 2 cars and still get a lot out of the site (and hoping for more). Leave well alone gets my vote!
I find some of the sniping amusing, and read it in the same way as some people watch Big Brother (which I hate, incidentally!). I cringe sometimes at comments made, but on the whole, I stay out of it. (with a few exceptions).

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

BenB

posted on 4/1/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone U2U with a brief summary of WTF is going on?!?!
Perhaps I've been in too good a mood over Chrimbo to notice the mini beefs!!!

DarrenW

posted on 4/1/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
TBH honest Ben the beefs are nowt major and probs tamer than they have been for a long time. You have certainly missed nothing by having a good time instead. I wouldnt waste part of your life even trying to find them.

I reckon the biggest thing with this site is that we are all fantastic in that we can build cars. So many people wouldnt have a clue. Unfortunately we are all at it so its no big deal anymore. When you get so many big achievers in one place there bound to be some clashes. There is a saying about more chiefs than indians and too many cooks etc. At the end of the day we are all MD's or our mini-empires.

paulf

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
This site has always worked by being self moderated and hopefully will continue to be. In the past similiar things have happened and generally blow over after a few days, if people didnt post on the argumentive topics the people concerned would soon get bored and give in.
The other list as many people know went downhill as soon as it became moderated , luckily this far better site came along at about the same time.
Apart from the if we had moderators im sure the few that are causing problems would also think that they should be the moderators for the reasons previously mentioned.
Paul.

scutter

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
This is a great resourse it'll be a shame for it to go to the dogs.

I think Mr Jenkins rules are the most sound, if your not sure, keep quite until you are and if you don't like what you read don't bite.

But there still has to be independent views.

Sounds simple without the need for moderators.

ATB Dan, wishing the site a long and happy future.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

MikeRJ

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Moderation is dangerous. It always starts with the best intentions but often runs out of hand and ruins a forum. Self moderation is far and away the best solution.

It's mentioned we are too sensitive to the few that are abusive/rocking the boat, which is probably true, but I suspect only because this has traditional been such a friendly forum where personality clashes/idiots have been virtualy non-existent, or at least not very visible.

andrews_45

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think that people are too quick to become defensive. Like I guess it is my post that started all this off...

At the end of the day this is a public forum for car builders to come together and help one'another build their cars. If somebody has to question a technical aspect of a car, then so be it... Between us lets come up with a solution. I spent a few hours last night reading through all the past posts regarding a certain company and it appears that there are a small minority of folk that instantly ambush anybody that dares to question their design... WTF I ask? Why all this animosity?

ReMan

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I am concerned, the only thing that needs moderating, as has been said before, is some of the the avatars!! and not because I don't like them

Catpuss

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Part of the fun is taking this wee out of each other's posts. Of course the difference is that it is taking the wee in a lighthearted friendly manner rather than having a slanging match and being arses.

One problem with moderation is that you need very broad minded moderators that only curb the worst of it/just add comments and not censor, or are regularly changed so that they know they are there to "assist" the forum, not "own" it and don't get the arse when they feel they are pushed out of the role. The usenet group sci.military.moderated was pretty good for that, cept when the moderator was overloaded with work.

The worry is that without moderators it can turn into a self obsessed clique. Or people just delibrately acting the tosser to provoke others. I've seem this happen many times in usenet. A lot of usenet is now ruined by "keyboard warriors" like this.

The worry is that with the move from locost to kits that a fanboi attitude starts to develop. Thats when it will all turn to poo like the games console forums.

Hopefully the ones who are getting a bit heated know what damage they _could_ cause if they go too far.

mistergrumpy

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
What about democracy? I know people are saying self moderation is the best but some people just seem unable to do it and oddly enough haven't posted in this thread. What about a lock tab next to the U2U and other tabs where if enough people click it, because they think its getting out of hand, the thread locks? I see there's a report but where's that go to? Chris is obviously too busy (which isn't a complaint, very fair enough) the tab could self manage. Just my pennies worth, for what it is worth.

gazza285

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
No moderators for me as well, reasonable debate by consenting adults should not need any.

Unreasonable debate by the petty and self righteous should be seen for the light entertainment it is.

Now can I go back to looking down on all of you purile copyists while I weld a new front end on my Original Copy.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Fozzie

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think self moderation is the only way to go, if we want to keep the site as good as it has been!

If you think someone is out of line, or has way over stepped the 'line' then press the 'report' button at the top right hand corner (where the 'edit' and 'quote' buttons are).

My own personal opinion is that if people leave this site, then great resources of knowledge, humour, wit and 'internet friendship' go with them....

This means that the 'bullies' win their own personal argument. The bully can be ignored, but then bullies usually prod and prod until someone is provoked.
Or, stand up to the bully(ies), and take the risk of getting flamed and insulted.

It is indeed a very fine line.

Perhaps as I have said before, make more use of the 'report' button?

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

mistergrumpy

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
But where does the report button go? The land of lost socks? Is bullies too harsh a word? I think it is as I do think one way or other each opinion is valid and can be accepted or disregarded without fear of ...erm you know what word I'm looking for, I've forgot. Its not a jibe at your post by the way Fozzie

JoelP

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
its all been said really, i agree with all the above. All i can add is that it takes two to tango, if someone's posts annoy you, ignore it. Or if you cant ignore it, be prepared for the kerfuffle that will follow!

I sense a lot of anti calvinx in this thread, though no one has named him. He can be rude but he isnt always wrong. Refer to above, it takes two.

I think the ignore button is a good idea, but then, people often quote whoever offends them so that it is clear who they are replying to, and so that their post cannot later be deleted, so ignoring one person wouldnt always be enough.

As someone said though, it can be quite fun all the fireworks. You mustnt take it too seriously! If you disagree with someone it can be healthy to let them know.

Catpuss

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Aye people can be rude and informative, but that doesn't make it right to be rude as if its something every one has to accept. Its not really being rude, its more just being an arsehole.

I've spent the last few years working in a place where the attitude was that being an office bully was the way to move up the ladder. Unfortunatly that meant that a lot of people who were talented and shared knowledge left.

Fozzie

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
No offence taken MrGrumps...

Is bully a too harsher word? If so I apologise for may lack of thought, it has been a very long day at the workshop and even longer at Stansted Airport, then negotiating the M25 in rush hour

By the term 'bully' I actually meant
bully= name calling
bully= insulting individuals
bully= not listening/respecting others opinions

Sorry if I hadn't made that clear

The report button goes to ChrisW. I am sure it doesn't go into the 'lost socks dept'

Yes, I know he hasn't been on the site much of late, he has been busy, he has had a house move or 2.... I am sure he will be back very soon.

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

G.Man

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
its all been said really, i agree with all the above. All i can add is that it takes two to tango, if someone's posts annoy you, ignore it.

Quoted for truth...

You can't change others, only yourself

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.