Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flipping the diff ?
imp paul

posted on 16/1/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
flipping the diff ?

hi just wanted to know has anyone ever flipt a diff in a sierra 3.62 lsd case. or is it possible ? so it would turn the other way cheers paul
Liam

posted on 16/1/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
No room to flip the diff in the case, but you could just turn the whole thing up-side-down and block the breather (perhaps adding another one). If you're gonna run it in the reverse direction too, it might not like it (may just be noisy) but then again it might be fine!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 16/1/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not designed to run in opposite direction.
Steve.

Smartripper

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

The dutch importer overhere is building the MK indy with a shaft driven bike engine but that runs the wrong direction.

He is flipping the sierra diff, bloks the breather, and making a breather tru the filler plug.......

He's not having any problems so far and he build a few already, one is good now for 5000 miles.....

Daniel

[Edited on 16/1/07 by Smartripper]

jacko

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I believe z cars flip them over on the front diff but they dont last long

O i may be wrong then reading what is above

[Edited on 16/1/07 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
imp paul

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

thanks for all your help chaps nice 1 paul
Liam

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
I believe z cars flip them over on the front diff but they dont last long

O i may be wrong then reading what is above

[Edited on 16/1/07 by jacko]

Running up-side-down doesn't necessarily imply running in reverse direction! In the zcars 4x4 thing the front diff needs to be flipped up-side-down because it is facing forwards rather than backwards. The engine still runs it in the correct direction.

Obviously the sierra diff isn't designed to run in reverse, but that doesn't mean it can't. The pinion shaft runs in two opposed, preloaded tapered roller bearings so reversing the direction of axial thrust isn't gonna do anything to that. The pinion/crownwheel will mesh on the backsides of their teeth. Might be weaker, might not. Might be noisy? Probably wont matter - at the end of the day the sierra diff is quite bulletproof for this kind of app (bike engine I assume), is at least designed to survive putting the sierra in reverse, and cheap enough to test to destruction anyway . I'd suck it and see...

Liam

[Edited on 16/1/07 by Liam]

coozer

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
The mesh on the gears is design to go in one, loaded direction only.

Its OK in reverse for a small while but I think it would be very rough and noisy upside down. Especially if its come from an ancient Sierra donor

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

stevebubs

posted on 17/1/07 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Think MK installed this setup in the Indy...
CGILL

posted on 17/1/07 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
It'll work, you have a crush tube between the two pinion bearings, and running it in reverse loads this crush tube from the thrust created by the hypoid cut. You'll get away with it on a bike engine because it doesn't have huge torque which would destroy this after a few heavy clutch drops. You may get issues from the pinion bearings being starved of oil form being above the oil level. But lets face it, we're not going to be doing 30,000km per year in these cars
robinj66

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Does it make any difference that it's an LSD?
trikerneil

posted on 17/1/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
My Sierra diff didn't like working upside down.

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

imp paul

posted on 17/1/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
diff

so i take it the diff will run upside down ok chaps? well i hope .its got to it lives in the rear of my imp faceing backward and upside down mad yes hope it goes to plan cheers paul
gazza285

posted on 18/1/07 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Should be ok as the CWP are running as designed.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Coose

posted on 18/1/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CGILL
It'll work, you have a crush tube between the two pinion bearings, and running it in reverse loads this crush tube from the thrust created by the hypoid cut. You'll get away with it on a bike engine because it doesn't have huge torque which would destroy this after a few heavy clutch drops. You may get issues from the pinion bearings being starved of oil form being above the oil level. But lets face it, we're not going to be doing 30,000km per year in these cars

You could always have a solid spacer made to replace the crush tube....

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.