Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Simple way to widen cycle wings (a how too)
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Simple way to widen cycle wings (a how too)

I was asked a wee while ago by someone on this site how I had widened my front cycle wings to fit over the 225's. Well I have decided to fit cycle wings to the back as well so tonight I did one and took some photo's of the process encase it was of use to someone

I don't as yet know how to post all the pictures at once so give me a chance to get them on here first, then I'm off to tescos to get the shopping, no really I do my shopping very late at night...

Oh yeah it's a 4 inch increase in the width.

So step 1 - cut the wings in half with an angle grinder (best do that along their length than straight across, ) Rescued attachment 1.JPG
Rescued attachment 1.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Step 2 – chamfer the edges and clean the area around the join.

Step 3 – get a nice piece of cardboard (best use one with a shiny side) and rub candle wax onto the card in the area of the gap, then melt the wax with say a hair dryer and do this a few times. Rescued attachment 2.JPG
Rescued attachment 2.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Step 4 – using superglue attach each half of the wing to the card carefully rolling the card over the wing so there is no creases. Then do the same for the other side making sure the two halves a parallel (worth spending a bit of time on this… ) I have fitted two bits of balsa wood across either end on the backside of the card. I have a photo but that’s out of focus, sorry.

Step 5 – Next cut the glassfiber mat, one to go inside the gap, another to go on top of the first but an inch or so wider than the first. Plus two small pieces to beef up the ends. Best look at the pictures… Rescued attachment 3.JPG
Rescued attachment 3.JPG

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
Step 6 – Mix up your resin and merrily stipple away till all is nice and soaked. Then leave in a warm place on a flat surface. Once cured carefully remove the card and wipe down with white-sprit before finishing off with some paint a filler (red stuff is over spray in case you were wondering).

[Edited on 14/3/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment 4.JPG
Rescued attachment 4.JPG

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
So there you go dead easy, hope this helps someone. Bye Rescued attachment 5.JPG
Rescued attachment 5.JPG

Macbeast

posted on 14/3/07 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job - well done. Thanks for sharing.
nitram38

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Nice, but ever thought of using gelcoat first?
This would ensure that you had a relatively smooth surface when you removed the cardboard.

02GF74

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
good job - hoipe you kep all windows open or did it outsdie to keep out of the fumes

I've done something similar - filling a hole in nose cone.

Same method but got some of the acetate sheet that I stuck down and then card on top to keep the shape.

Unlike you I used gelcoat then my first piece of GF was cut to be eact size for the hole so no overlapping edings; then build up from below like you have done.

the gel coat give a better finish; still have to use a bit of filler to get it nice 'n' smooth.

RazMan

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Another tip is to use packing tape to cover the cardboard instead of candle wax - it gives you a glossy finish and the resin won't stick to the tape.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Yes there's no reason I couldn't have used gel coat to preserve the colour but as I'm painting them mat black (as will most of the car be) it's not really worth it and a coat of filler primer tends to get a good finish for paint.

It certainly smells a bit but since I'm a model builder everyone’s used to that, even the dog.

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
oh yeah,

Raz that car of yours does look simply stunning, I'm off to get the mag at lunchtime. Nice one

redeye

posted on 14/3/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
wish Id have Known how to do that when I put a dirty big hole in my back panel

Thread

02GF74

posted on 15/3/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
searvh the archive - I'm sure I wrote up with photo of how I patched up my nose cone.

build it up from the inside where you cannot see the "mess"; the hardest part is getting a totally flat fnish - easeir for you since your panel is flat and mine wasn't.

redeye

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

searvh the archive - I'm sure I wrote up with photo of how I patched up my nose cone.

thanks for the help but I jus bought a new one in the end

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.