Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis question about passinger cell
Rhys aka Celtic Tools

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis question about passinger cell

Does any on know about any rules or regs (sva) about the the distance that your feet need to be behind the front axle line
many thanks
Rhys

For all your tool needs contact Rhys @ Celtic Tools 02920 619137
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/celtic-tools
Big discount for all my fellow locost builders

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
what makes you think there is such a rule?

[Edited on 27/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rhys aka Celtic Tools

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
what makes you think there is such a rule?

[Edited on 27/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

just because if you crash and your feet are close to the front of the car it might not be safe
as my car has the engine at the rear and there is nothing beyond the pedal box apart from a space between the front of the nose cone

(no rad cos im using a air cooled engine)

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Take the car in my avatar for example, the nose cone is the main structure that would absorb the impact. Even is the wheels were further forwards they would most likely just rip off doing little if anything in a crash.

I would say that if you are to have a nose cone build it so it absorbs damage like a bumper i.e. make it out a large foam block skinned with glass fiber and have a thick ally panel in front of you feet. Things like that are much more important than where the wheels are.

[Edited on 28/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rhys aka Celtic Tools

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for the reply I will incorporate the nosecone / bumper idea into my build

ta

Rhys

Simon

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Or if Mr Whippy's car is clouted on a front wheel, said wheel will follow a rearward arc until it stops somewhere on the other side of his knees

If we worry about everything, nothing will get done! You just have to make it stronger.

I quite like the Pink Panther car meself, and ones legs ARE the crumple zone.

ATB

Simon

skodaman

posted on 28/12/07 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Also the nosecone on Mr Whippy's car has been crash-tested to much higher levels than road cars need. I think it's supposed to have a red five on the front though.

Skodaman

nitram38

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
The rule you talk of only applies to motorsport.
After a certain year, single seaters like formula fords had to have the wheel centre line beyond the front pedal bulkhead.
If you check my archive, you can see some bare chassis pics of the F1-2 I built.
It is up to you, but I personally followed the motorsport rule for my own safety.

caber

posted on 28/12/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you d and wherever your feet re it is still damn sight safer than sitting on top of a motorcycle!

Caber

russbost

posted on 28/12/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
There is a bit in the manual somewhere which basically says that if your feet are in front of the axle line then there must be some form of deformable/crushable structure forward of this - the inspection of which would be down to the individual tester & as we all know they are all degree qualified mechanical engineers.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Doug68

posted on 28/12/07 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Whatever you d and wherever your feet re it is still damn sight safer than sitting on top of a motorcycle!

Caber

Rubbish! Do you have any evidence at all to back up this assertion? I suspect if you controlled for age & experience I doubt there'd be little if any difference in the injury rates between the two groups.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
quote:
Originally posted by caber

Caber

Rubbish! Do you have any evidence at all to back up this assertion? I suspect if you controlled for age & experience I doubt there'd be little if any difference in the injury rates between the two groups.

quite right! , everyone knows you land on your head in a bike crash, your feet are fine

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.