Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: She's on her side!
nitram38

posted on 4/3/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
She's on her side!

Following on from yesterday, I have welded the top now the car is on it's side.
Got to go to work soon (nightshift) so welding will continue tomorrow!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[img][/img]

tegwin

posted on 4/3/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mentalist....whatever you are smoking...I want some too!

How much does that climbing frame way?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nitram38

posted on 4/3/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Do You mean weigh?

The answer is I am not sure.
I can roll it over by myself, but it is just beyond lifting. It does seem light for it's size.
If you have a decent set of scales, you are welcome to come round and try it out.

nick205

posted on 4/3/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Will your feet poke out under the nose?

Or will there be a body "tub"?

tegwin

posted on 4/3/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
oops.....my mind was thinking "weigh" but my spaktarded fingers are not behaving them selves..

Been typing damn css style sheets all morning and im starting to loose the plot!

Would really be fascinated to know its mass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nitram38

posted on 4/3/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Will your feet poke out under the nose?

Or will there be a body "tub"?

There will be a one piece fibreglass tub with a "transmission" tunnel to carry all of the pipework for the front mounted rad.
Once the chassis is welded, I need to make a wooden mold for it.

donut

posted on 4/3/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a stunning bit of metalwork!! Shame to make it into a car really. Can't you just hang it on your lounge wall?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 4/3/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
All mig'd?

And what did you use to cut all the metal work accuartly? (sp)

[Edited on 4/3/08 by Dangle_kt]

Macbeast

posted on 4/3/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Looking forward to your next post - "She's on her back"

Awsome !!!

nitram38

posted on 5/3/08 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
All mig'd?

And what did you use to cut all the metal work accuartly? (sp)

[Edited on 4/3/08 by Dangle_kt]

I did buy a tube notcher, but in the end I just marked an angle, cut in the chop saw and used a flap grinding wheel to shape the profile to match the tube that it butted against.
It doesn't take long to do it this way.

Doug68

posted on 5/3/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
The cars looking great!

In the past you've mentioned the idea that the suspension would 'shed' in a prang, if that were to happen would the FRP tub then be the only thing left between your feet and the road?

Given the raised nose type of design the thought of say running into a kerb at speed doesn't really bear thinking about.

I'd suggest a couple of bent small roll bar type tubes running from the seat support frame to somewhere near the front of the frame.

After all this is not a good look.

On tube notchers: They're great if you know exactly what your going to cut, if you're fitting a tube they can eat up more time than they're worth particularly with small diameter tube.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

blakep82

posted on 5/3/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
^ yep, that was my thoughts too actually. i thought i was probably missing something though.

lol, i wish i'd thought to profile my tubes that way... i did mine with a hacksaw and half round file
that was only for suspension wishbones though not a whole chassis.

[Edited on 5/3/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nitram38

posted on 5/3/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
The cars looking great!

In the past you've mentioned the idea that the suspension would 'shed' in a prang, if that were to happen would the FRP tub then be the only thing left between your feet and the road?

Given the raised nose type of design the thought of say running into a kerb at speed doesn't really bear thinking about.

I'd suggest a couple of bent small roll bar type tubes running from the seat support frame to somewhere near the front of the frame.

After all this is not a good look.

On tube notchers: They're great if you know exactly what your going to cut, if you're fitting a tube they can eat up more time than they're worth particularly with small diameter tube.

The suspension does not shed during an accident? I don't know where I would have said it, but I suppose most wishbones connected via rose joints would.
My tub set up is no different to the atom except that I have titanium pads that will be going onto the chassis so that if the air suspension should give up, all you will get are some F1 type sparks from the undersude!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.