Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why bike engines??
Wheels244

posted on 31/3/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ben is that from personal experience ?

Lot of people use the Quaife box - can't be all bad.
Mines under warranty - if it dies I'll get a new one

Humbug

posted on 31/3/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
as far as I remember, homemade leccy reverse is usually done with a starter motor engaging with a sprocket on the propshaft, with your choice of switching, etc. to try to make sure you don't engage it while in a forward gear, or over-running it, etc.
CaptainJack

posted on 31/3/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
bike engines are more highly tuned that car engines and rev harder so need to look after them, but regular oil and filter changes with good quality parts will look after them. Also i guess that the fact the engine only ment to haul maybe 250-300kg about in its normaly fitment it wont like the fact its needs to cart swo much extra weight about, maybe thats why some give up
Jon Ison

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Can someone please list this long list of fragile bike engines that have gone bang ?

Tuned blade, over 15k miles in car, thrashed to **** everywhere.

Off the top of my head here is a short list of CEC engines that have let me down during my "racing" days.

Blown, Pinto x2, mini (bmc) blown countless, 205 block atmo cosworth (blown) RV8 blown. Peugeot 205 blown x 2. Blade, cant blow the dam thing, still waiting to upgrade to a ZX12R, guess it will let go one day.

MikeCapon

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, here are some piccys of electric reverse setups.

As for reliability, a well looked after bike motor can be regularly thrashed to within an inch of it's life. What they don't like is abuse, ie massive over rev on down changes or clumsy, violent gearchanges.

rev1
rev1

rev2
rev2

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Another:-

rev3
rev3

[img]http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/electric_reverse[1].jpg[/img]

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gakes

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info guys. As far as the reliability goes, im not too sure yet. Still need to buzz around for a while.

Description
Description

Gakes

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Are there any bike engined middys around. I would like to hear what they have to say.

BE's will bring the weight of my car down to a minimum! thats cool, but it shouldnt take up too much time maintaining it

Description
Description

BenB

posted on 1/4/08 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Ben is that from personal experience ?

Lot of people use the Quaife box - can't be all bad.
Mines under warranty - if it dies I'll get a new one

I think the new Quaife one is probably the first one that does'nt have a reputation for dying. Still eats a %age of the BHP (okay it's small % )

Humbug

posted on 1/4/08 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure I like the idea of a circular saw blade whizzing round next to my thigh... even less that a honking great pole whissing round next to me
Hugh_

posted on 1/4/08 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gakes
Are there any bike engined middys around. I would like to hear what they have to say.

Looking at Mike's last photo where you can see the engine about 300mm forward of the diff I'd guess that's middy. Quite happy to be corrected though.

MikeCapon

posted on 1/4/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, tis a middy. Built in the states with a Kawasaki motor. Odd hot rod looking car with the bike front end! I'm trying to find the link now

www.shock-factory.co.uk

Jon Ison

posted on 1/4/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Bike engines are even more reliable in a middy, the engine is mounted more like it was in the bike.

Ran a blackbird motor know as the "cat" it used a fair few of its lifes up.

Blown oil cooler hose followed by a fire, survived.

lost sump plug, survived.

MR2

posted on 2/4/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
reliability is the person driving and maintaining it. EPR, anyone thought about using a multy V belt with a magnetic coupling used on airco pumps? In combination with an reduction starter with a pully. Big circlesawblade doesnt get me going either. You can always make a flintstone trapdoor for FPR
phil T5

posted on 15/6/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Not an expert, a new kit car owner but from my limited experience chose a cec.

I had passenger ride in fireblade bec and sounds beautiful, bit harsh gear changes etc but a real different experience to a normal car. But isnt that why we get these cars any way.

However as a lot of my driving is with a passenger I needed more torque and ultimately power, so went for a cec with 235hp xe engine.

Its heavier than a bec, around 600kgs, but has reverse, revs to 8500rpm, sounds mean, high 5th gear, 3000 rpm at 75mph and its quick enough around 400hp/tonne.

Must admit though I still love the idea of a bec, in some ways its a purer concept, light weight and loads of revs and may one day go for this one i've been let in gently to this new experience by cec

Both are great!

richardh

posted on 16/6/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
i have a quaif reverse on my BEC and its great. Got to reverse slowly though but enough to not have to get out and push. cost about 600-700 for it and it adds to the weight but i found it better thatn an electric one.

all depends on how oftern you are going to be driving in towns and might need that reverse.....................

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.