Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small Efficient (non bike) Engine Ideas?
Peteff

posted on 25/6/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki carry 1300 van, already has a rear wheel drive gearbox and revs like a mad thing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Deckman001

posted on 25/6/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm another suggester of the Nissan 1.3 from a micra, I had to 'fill up' the in-law's car for her and was pleasantly surprised with the car's 'go' , good and revy as well !!

Jason

johnston

posted on 25/6/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
what about the 1.4 106 pug or the 1.4 puma
nick205

posted on 26/6/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't some of the 750mc race series specify the Fiat FIRE engine as the replacement for the Coventry Climax unit?

I remember talking to a 750mc guy at Autosport earlier in the year who painted a very good picture for the little Fiat unit. Very compact and one man manouverable with good tuning potential too.

iank

posted on 26/6/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Didn't some of the 750mc race series specify the Fiat FIRE engine as the replacement for the Coventry Climax unit?

I remember talking to a 750mc guy at Autosport earlier in the year who painted a very good picture for the little Fiat unit. Very compact and one man manouverable with good tuning potential too.

It replaced the reliant (robin) engine not the climax, but otherwise correct. The reliant replaced the Austin 7 engine.

Good article on tuning the 1108cc FIRE engine here:
http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21
and
http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?=&p=2238

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DaveFJ

posted on 26/6/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
regardless of attitudes to Fiat cars - I think most would agree they tend to make cracking good engines...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Good article on tuning the 1108cc FIRE engine here:
http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21
and
http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?=&p=2238

Interesting that he thinks a flat power 'curve' is a good thing! That simply means your torque is decreasing at the same rate as your RPM is increasing, nothing really special about that whatsoever IMO.

iank

posted on 26/6/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well a wide powerband means you don't fall out of the band when you change gear. So it makes it easier to drive and maybe even faster with a required by the regs 4 speed reliant gearbox.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

NS Dev

posted on 26/6/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with Coozer and go for one of the zetec se's.

They are yamaha designed, all alloy (actually not true, a lot of the casings are actually magnesium alloy) and great to tune, plus extremely efficient.

1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 litres capacity, with the 1.7 having variable valve timing, there's something to suit, and a bellhousing for the type 9 is available, if not too cheap at £170 ish.

great engines

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 27/6/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Well a wide powerband means you don't fall out of the band when you change gear. So it makes it easier to drive and maybe even faster with a required by the regs 4 speed reliant gearbox.

Right, but that is dictated by the torque curve, since that what's actualy pushing you along and is why a flat torque curve is desirable. An engine with a perfectly flat power curve would be virtually useless.

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
regardless of attitudes to Fiat cars - I think most would agree they tend to make cracking good engines...

If you disregard head gaskets and ECUs that suffer from memory loss forget all the security key codes.

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

They are yamaha designed, all alloy (actually not true, a lot of the casings are actually magnesium alloy) and great to tune, plus extremely efficient.

1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 litres capacity, with the 1.7 having variable valve timing, there's something to suit, and a bellhousing for the type 9 is available, if not too cheap at £170 ish.

great engines

The 1.4 has no mid-range torque at all --- and compared to the Rover 1.4 it is down 23 bhp !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
I'm another suggester of the Nissan 1.3 from a micra, I had to 'fill up' the in-law's car for her and was pleasantly surprised with the car's 'go' , good and revy as well !!

Jason

Under estimated little engine, a lot of very cheap Micras around at auction because the trade know there is a problem with the single point injection ones that needs a new throttlebody to fix.

[/I]

iank

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

Jason

Under estimated little engine, a lot of very cheap Micras around at auction because the trade know there is a problem with the single point injection ones that needs a new throttlebody to fix.

There is indeed, but it's often fixable for little effort.
http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.php

--
Anonymous

Volvorsport

posted on 27/6/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
hmm cant suggest anything volvo that would fit to type 9 , apart from a gutless 1.6(in an s40) which i think is a megane engine ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Surrey Dave

posted on 27/6/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rover

Looks like I should have had my parents Rover 214 when they scrapped it ,100k miles no engine issues except something to do with the front pulley.

Is it straightforward to use the standard ecu and injection when removed from donor?

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
On the K the Front pulley and cam drive sprocket is driven by a rather inadequate "D" flat on the crank rather than a key, it can give rise to issues if the pulley has been removed to fit an new cam belt and not fully torqued fully home.

If the pulley and sprocket is flopping around a bit the usual cure is a new pulley and sprocket and a dab of araladite where they locate on the crank and of course some locite on the retaining bolt and washer.

This is one of the reasons for never trusting the timing marks on a Rover K when doing anything that involves removing the timing belt.
On these engine the engine has to be set at half stroke before removing the belt.
I always double check by measuring down the plug holes to check the pistons are at half stroke when the timing marks line up ie: the pistons are at an exactly equal distance down the bore measure via the plug holes.

[Edited on 27/6/08 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Looks like I should have had my parents Rover 214 when they scrapped it ,100k miles no engine issues except something to do with the front pulley.

Is it straightforward to use the standard ecu and injection when removed from donor?

You need the cars security ECU and a fair bit of the wiring loom.

[/I]

paulf

posted on 27/6/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Why not use your megajolt and bike carbs?
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave

NS Dev

posted on 27/6/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

great engines

The 1.4 has no mid-range torque at all --- and compared to the Rover 1.4 it is down 23 bhp !

Yes but I think you know that isn't the whole picture!!

a) use the 1600!!

b) unstrangling the intake instantly puts it ahead of the k with similar mods, sorry!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ettore bugatti

posted on 28/6/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
How about:
Nissan CG13DE from a Micra, or the Suzuki 1.3 16V (with Samurai tranny?), or Daihatsu (/Toyota) engines?

Surrey Dave

posted on 29/6/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote

Something Jap or Fiat sounds interesting , the Suzuki could already have an rwd gearbox and would probably be a fair bit lighter than a type 9.

Is a Samurai 4x4 is the main box separate?

info info info

[Edited on 29/6/08 by Surrey Dave]

rodriguez

posted on 29/6/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
im putting the suzuki 1.3 16v with a set of 40's on mine. should be good and revs really well. dunno wot gearbox to use tho

get it lit

westf27

posted on 11/7/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
briggs and stratton.Blow the grass out the side and bill the council
akumabito

posted on 13/7/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
the 1.2 SMPI FIRE engine from a punto sporting would be a nice little unit IMHO..

The FIRE engines are cast iron though.

They're still very light, and come with surprisingly strong internals if you want to boost it.

A mate of mine build his own engine - 999cc turbo. It pushes 135Hp on the dyno (105 or 115 at the wheels, I don't quite remember)

He's having plenty of fun with that engine in his old Panda!

Let's see if I can dig up the thread on the Panda Club Forum..

Here it is: http://forum.fiatpandaclub.nl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4775

133Hp max power and 162Nm from 3200 to 6000 rpm. 108Hp at the wheels.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.