Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seirra diff
theconrodkid

posted on 9/7/02 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Seirra diff

Anyone know if the ordinary and LSD diffs are the same size externaly?
Fatboy Dave

posted on 9/7/02 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Almost.

They share the same 7" mounts (assuming you are talking the XR4x4 LSD), but the sides are obviously different for the different driveshaft types.

i.e. an XR4x4 diff will swap with a standard diff without any problems, as long as you have the right driveshafts etc.. to go with it.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

theconrodkid

posted on 9/7/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate,wondered why the n/s hub nut was lht and all the others ive ever done are rht
Fatboy Dave

posted on 9/7/02 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, that's a 4be4 alright.

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Liam

posted on 9/7/02 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I wondered that too - after breaking three Halfords professional breaker bars, and resorting to towing the thing to my local garage to get the n/s rear nut off (yup I was tightening it).

Halfords lifetime gaurantee worked pretty well though...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Max

posted on 10/7/02 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Do you think it's worth using a LSD for a Fireblade engined car? Are the hubs different for a normal unit? i.e. Could I use normal brake disc hubs and a standard diff and then swap to a LSD later just by changing the diff and drive shafts? I'm told that the diffs can't be mixed and matched between dics and drums - is this the case?

Cheers,

Max

Liam

posted on 10/7/02 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought you definately would be able to change the diff and shafts for an LSD later.

I cant imagine your disc hubs are any different to mine, and my sierra has the LSD and associated shafts already.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fatboy Dave

posted on 10/7/02 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
It is worth using an LSD (always), but the bits aren't interchangeable with each other. If you want to go from drums and an open diff, you need the disc brake diff shafts, bearing carriers(hubs) discs and calipers, so yes, in this case they can't be mixed between discs and drums.

But if you have discs up the back anyway, the LSD comes free with the rest of it, so why bother swapping?

Dave

James

posted on 16/7/02 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Are the ratios between the standard and LSD Sierra diff the same?

Cheers,

James

Fatboy Dave

posted on 16/7/02 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Depends, there is so bleeding many of them. Ford didn't have rules on what got fitted with what it seems.

As they stand, the XR4x4 V6 and the Granada 4x4 V6 have 3.62:1 LSD, the XR4i and the Granada V6 (non Scorpio) has a 3.36:1 open, and the Scorpio V6 has a 3.62:1 LSD

The Granadas get the 7.5" case, whilst the non-cosworth Sierras get 7"

Dave

bob

posted on 16/7/02 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dave
My diff'n'discs came from a glsi sierra,so i was told anyway.
For some reason i was expecting LSD,but its just a regular diff with lobro joints unlike the tripod joints on the drum version.
Have no idea of the ratio and fords were not much help on this either.
Any clues apart from counting teeth,tab on diff is unreadable like the engine number on me 1st engine

Fatboy Dave

posted on 16/7/02 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
yep, what you have is pretty standard of later Sierras. Discs=Lobro diffs.

There's a rule of thumb for spinnting the outputshaft and counting the prop roations, but it's a load of arse (can't remember it more like).

Flip the rear cover off and you'll find it stamped on the crownwheel

Dave

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks dave
After finding an older haynes manual,which are much better than the shite new ones.
the 2.0 inj was 3.92 for manual and 3.62 for auto,will have a look anyway.
cheers

Fatboy Dave

posted on 17/7/02 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
3.92 eh? Also found in the 1.6 estate, and favoured for bike engines and K series implants.

And don't you just hate the way the new Haynes' are printed on bog paper?

Dave

theconrodkid

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
There is a very good reason their printed on bog paper,thats all the books are worth!
Fatboy Dave

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bah, if only

Have you seen their price in Halfords? sixteen bloody quid they are

Dave

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to scrub the tab up on diff and its 3.92

Fatboy Dave

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
No use for a V8 diff then

Glad you got the ratio ID sorted though

Dave

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think it was life threatening but i thought i should investigate this one.
Seems unless its 4x4 there were 3 ratios on regular sierras
2.0 carb auto was the odd one out at 3.38
everything else is 3.62 or 3.92
The estates are a mix according to the manual with 4 speeds getting the 3.92 and the 5 speed gets the 3.62

interestedparty

posted on 17/7/02 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The estates are a mix according to the manual with 4 speeds getting the 3.92 and the 5 speed gets the 3.62

Are you sure that's right, Bob, normally the 5speed box, having the overdrive 5th gear, would also have the numerically higher ratio

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just quoting from an old hanes manual,but i know what you mean i thought that myself

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ah!! blimey theres more
1.6 with 4 speed economy was 3.13
and 5 speed was 3.38
yeah strange.
Also there was a trailer package on the 1.6 and that was 3.77.
ofcourse it could all be a missprint

Fatboy Dave

posted on 17/7/02 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
3.13 is, it should be 3.14 (also found on the 2.3 V6 ISTR?)

Ideal for a V8

Dave

James

posted on 18/7/02 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote

If I could possibly drag this conversation back down to my ignorance level please...

Can I conclude that if you fit a diff with a numerically lower ratio you'll be reducing your top speed but increasing acceleration? Or have I got that the wrong way round?

Presumably this also means your speedo and odometer will be out as well?
And, for a given speed you revs will be higher and therefore fuel comsumption will be worse?

Questions, questions....

Cheers,

James

Fatboy Dave

posted on 18/7/02 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds right

A lower ratio (numerically higher) diff will make it lightening up through the box, make your speedo over-read, stunt your top speed, and degrade fuel consumption (the engine spins the gearbox upto speed, but the diff is throwing away all those revoloutions, IYSWIM)

's like a fella that was going on at me that he had fitted a type 9 to his Xflow (didn't know what it had come from) and complained that he couldn't pull away in first, and didn't have enough power to pull fourth. Wouldn't listen to advice either ('cos I was younger than him........anyway, I digress)

Classic case of a short (numerically lower) diff. He fitted the four speeder back in the end, for want of another diff

Take it from uncle Fatboy, know what you have and know what you need.

Dave

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.