Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cellulose Paint
skodaman

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cellulose Paint

Just bought all remaining cans of satin black cellulose paint at my local suppliers so got enough for my chassis, garden gates fish tank stands etc. but they don't have any compatable primer.
Anyone know of anywhere selling zinc based cellulose (or cellulose compatible) grey primer?

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
A museum?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

skodaman

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
har har. I still like cellulose and think a lot of this modern stuff is crap. But then again I prefer crossflows to zetecs.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bigheppy

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fascinating-Finishes-Ltd
Try looking at this site I think he was selling some that might be compatible. Cant find it at the mo 'HIC' but might be worth contacting him.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Repair-Galvanised-Steel-Paint-No-Rust-Zinc-Rich-Primer_W0QQitemZ290169079215QQihZ019QQcategoryZ57217QQcmdZ try this

[Edited on 25/8/08 by Bigheppy]

r1_pete

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with cellulose, there are many etch primers available in aerosols, most are compatible with celly top coats.

skodaman

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx Bigheppy the zinc rich etc. link looks promising.

Skodaman

madteg

posted on 25/8/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Try derby motor facters derby as the last time i went in the shelves where stocked with celli
blakep82

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy cellulose paint at halfords. if you're stuck....

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hillbillyracer

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can still get cellulose at my local panel factors, you're supposed to take the logbook of the classic car you're going to use it on with you before they'll let you buy it.
blakep82

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
i like cellulose paint too. i still can't see how its supposed to be less safe than 2k, which contains arsenic

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/8/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i like cellulose paint too. i still can't see how its supposed to be less safe than 2k, which contains arsenic

I loved celly too, but it really has been superceded by much better coatings. It was never less safe than 2K which contains cyanide not arsenic. All the constituents of celly were supposed to be natural so the body could break them down and get rid. I am not sure about the thinners though which are claimed to be carcinogenic.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

phelpsa

posted on 25/8/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Search Upol Zinc 182. Can still be bought as it is technically a brush on paint, although it can be thinned down and sprayed using ordinary celly thinners etc.

blakep82

posted on 25/8/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeah, cyanide
i'm not well...

Peteff

posted on 25/8/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I use Blink 182 undercoat for badly pitted surfaces but our local car spares still sells cellulose paint, primer and thinners no problem.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/8/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Search Upol Zinc 182. Can still be bought as it is technically a brush on paint, although it can be thinned down and sprayed using ordinary celly thinners etc.

If you use celly thinner with 182 it will destroy the carriers, use standard white spirit and it will be fine

phelpsa

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

If you use celly thinner with 182 it will destroy the carriers, use standard white spirit and it will be fine

Good tip I've never actually used it but it was suggested to me as an alternative.

britishtrident

posted on 29/8/08 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cellulose is pretty useless for brush application --
Peteff

posted on 29/8/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Brushing thinners

You need brushing retarder thinners for cellulose if you want to brush it. They slow down the drying time so it runs out the marks before it sets. Who is brushing cellulose?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/8/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Nobody, BT's got the wrong end of the stick again, they are brushing 182 but using celly thinners.

The only people I know who brush celly are traction engine enthisiasts

Spyderman

posted on 1/9/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to brush Cellulose and can't get brushing thinners add about 10-15% Xylene/Xylol to the spraying thinners.

Brushing thinners just have a higher Xylene content.

Spyderman

wilkingj

posted on 1/9/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Celly thinners have Toluene, and / or Xylene in them.
Both are unplesant Solvents.
They can be absorbed through the skin, and can damage your nervous system.
Take the correct precautions when using it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.