Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: T7 Is alive again (again)
jmbillings

posted on 18/4/04 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
T7 Is alive again (again)

Well, after our first 4age blew itself to bits after a couple of hundred miles, we've found another and all is well again. Even my Stamp powered shift-light works (although it blinded Steve in the dark...)
Slight panic with the new engine, dropped it in and turned it over with no plugs - span nicely. Put plugs back in and span it again - err, still going Wheeeeeeeeeeee...- no compression! Anyway a bit of WD40 in the bores sorted it - turned out that when an engine sits on its side for a while the rings can get stuck in their slots and not pop back out. Pulls like a pully thing past 5k now... yay

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 26/4/04 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Jim,

Can you tell me what you did to your 4age to make it blow? Or was there something terminal with it that you didn't know about beforehand?

Graber (4age user)

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jmbillings

posted on 26/4/04 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
We're not entirely sure, but it wasn't being driven hard at the time. We had actually rebuilt the bottom end as it was a bit rattly. A couple of weeks after installation it developed a light tapping noise and while I was on holiday, Steve told me it had gotten worse. When I was back, he was bringing it over so we could have a look, but he only got as far as Melton when no.3 conrod popped out the side of the block. Most likely cause seems to be one of the big end bolts stretched causing the initial rattle, failed causing the loud rattle, and eventually the whole lot gave up. There were skid marks on the sump baffle plate that looked like they had perhaps occurred over time, so that could have been the noise. One of the bolts looked like it had simply sheared.
All our torque settings were double checked so not sure of the actual cause - maybe a bit of tiny grit got in and caused a build up in the bearing, or perhaps a bit of oil in the bolt hole caused a fracture when it was done up... dunno, we were fairly meticulous!
This thread shows the damage: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=10458

sgraber

posted on 26/4/04 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh... So it is.

I am sad for your loss, but all seems back in order

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.