Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Forming the petrol tank
cjleonard

posted on 12/9/02 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Forming the petrol tank

I'm just about to make the tank. I worked out the size (the book seems to be a few diamensions short!). However, I test bent a piece of the metal sheet I'm going to use - the good old fashioned hit it with a hammer approach - and it took some to get it over. This piece was no where near the size of the bit I need to form. So any tips on the best way to form it (read: cheap and easy - I want to avoid buying a tank)

Cheers Chris

theconrodkid

posted on 12/9/02 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I made 2 before i came to my senses and bought one off locodude,sugest you do the same
ewanspence

posted on 12/9/02 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is bullet proof. 1.6mm thick. A bit too much if you ask me but the steel was kicking about.

I parked my Mazda MX6 front wheel on top of a scaffolding plank that was ontop to the steel. Then using a long crow bar I lifted the metal up. Just needed some persuading to finalise all the angles to exactly what I wanted.

Took a couple of hours t fully weld - including making the ends, baffle and slow drain at the outlet.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 12/9/02 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Plasic Tank Man, every time

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Ian Pearson

posted on 12/9/02 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Triumph Spitfire tank. Fits like a dream, and Greengauges sell a sender unit that is externally identical to the Spitfire one. I grafted it onto the old sender unit, and it works like a dream. Tank cost a fiver and the sender was £12.00 ish.
scutter

posted on 12/9/02 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have an old spirfire tank, free to anyone who wants to collect it at donington on saturday(no sender though)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 13/9/02 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've a spare sender if anyone wants that tank! I'll be at Donington Saturday as well.
James

posted on 13/9/02 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have an old spirfire tank, free to anyone who wants to collect it at donington on saturday(no sender though)

With your job is that the Triumph or Supermarine type?

Cheers,

James

Dunc

posted on 13/9/02 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Locodude, whats the going rate for your tanks and do they come with the holes cut or can I make my own holes in them? How many litres can they hold?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.