Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First ZR drive
DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
First ZR drive

I cant believe it. Ive finally had my first drive out. What a feeling. Absolutely awesome. I didnt go far, just a couple of laps of our cul-de-sac but it was brilliant all the same.

Ive estimated approx 3 full days to complete my jobs list then another couple to tweak and tune and it will be finished. I just need to save up for the legal bits now. Rescued attachment 1st drive pic 001
Rescued attachment 1st drive pic 001

DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
2nd pic Rescued attachment 1st drive pic 002
Rescued attachment 1st drive pic 002

DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
3rd pic Rescued attachment 1st drive pic 003
Rescued attachment 1st drive pic 003

Hellfire

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cracking car Darren - just spotted your camber, it seem's a bit excessive.

No better feeling than the flies, spider's and wasp's collecting in your hair! Has your grin gone yet?

Guinness

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice Darren.

Looks really good in black.

Let me know if you want me to come down and have a look?

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
thanks chaps. The camber, castor, etc etc is all oover the place. I havent even tried to get it anywhere near yet, thats on my 'To Do ' list. I havent even tightened the suspension up yet!

Believe it or not the colour is Oxford Blue. The blackness comes from how dirty it was!!!!! Ive since washed it. After SVA i intend to get the front edge of the nosecone painted in dark silver and leading into a stripe arrangement over the whole car to lift the scheme.

I got your message Mike. I only log on here at work and was off all last week. The drive was actually last Monday and i havent stopped grinning yet. My wife had a little drive and managed to spin the wheels. I was right proud! Our estate roads have recently been re-gritted and i was surprised just how much the grit gets thrown up even at low speed.
Ive only set the timing up by ear but even with no choke it starts very nicely indeed and ticks over very well. Exhaust manifold doesnt get as hot now - which is nice.

RI8CHP

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
nice one darren!!!!!

i bet there is a permanent smile plasted all over your face

well done bud the car looks great

leon

mac1ZR

posted on 17/10/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
looks really good!!!!impressed with your wife even getting in the car never mind spinning the wheelstell her well done!
jos

posted on 17/10/05 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Darren,

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

donut

posted on 17/10/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Nice car mate...almost looks as good as an Indy

Sorry could'nt resist!!

The colour scheme you mentioned will look awesome!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very nice!

Excuse the daft question but how do you do a lap of a cul de sac?!

DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Looks very nice!

Excuse the daft question but how do you do a lap of a cul de sac?!

MMMmmmmmm - good point very well made. To be honest i dont know what to call it. I live in a 30 house 'estate' that has sort of 2 connecting cul-de-sac's. I just drove down to one of the junctions, reversed to turn round then drove back up. Car certianly felt like it had some poke as it showered me in gravel

I reckon the car looks quite bland at the moment. It was ever so dirty in those picks. Needs a good polish, i can feel a hand rub with my Zymol coming on................. Im wanting a stealthy look as im not into those bright colours but i might have gone too dark. Ive had chassis and suspension steelwork powder coated in dark silver hence wanting to pick up on that with the Cobra stripes. Classy and understated is my aim.

Donut - How dare you draw up a comparable between a Mac1 and an Indy!!!!?????. Everyone knows the Mac1 is in a higher league!!

jos

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
He's on a high from diving it for the first time, just flame him to gas mark 4 this time rather than 8, or alternatively flame him to a cinder elsewhere and leave him alone in the MAC#1 forum.

(He speaks the truth tho)

jambojeef

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Great looking car, nice job!

I would go along with Hellfire that the front camber looks a bit on the excessive side?

Would love to see it in the flesh tho...Mike, if you're heading down can I hitch a lift? Unless you fancy a trip down memory/cosworth lane in the scorp??!!

Whens the SVA booked?

Geoff

DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Geoff - i havent thought about SVA yet. 2 young daughters and christmas looming means that my funds have to be redirected. I hear you all had a meet at Mikes the other day. I didnt get the U2U till this morning cos ive been off work with the lurg (the only disadvantage of having kids - they bring home all of the nursery bugs home with them after a day of swapping snots!!!).

You are more then welcome to pop over some time. Ive just got to be a little careful not to upset SWMBO as she looks after the kids all of the time and understandibly gets a bit touchy if i use up weekends on the car! This is why i build on mid week nights. I havent set the suspension up yet - hence the crazy angles etc.

Im based on the other side of Bishop not far from Witton Castle. Quickest way from Newcastle / Chester le street is to go cross country to A68 (castleside?? - Tow Law - Witton Le Wear etc) - im only half a mile from this road after Witton Le wear.

If you and Mike were popping over when would be the best time? I assume mid week night is not good for you? Some pre-SVA eyes would be useful anytime before i get too far down the line of completion if you would do me the honours.

Guinness

posted on 17/10/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mid week night is OK for me. Too dark to do anything on mine!

I only work on the car on Saturdays when SWMBO is at work!!

Geoff, probably easier for me to pick you up on the way down?

Cheers

Mike

jambojeef

posted on 17/10/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sound like a plan!

Just sent you U2U Darren,

Mike - let me know when is best time wise on tuesday,

Cheers

Geoff

Guinness

posted on 17/10/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
If I pick you up around 7pm, we should get to Darren's around 8pm?

Cheers Mike

richard staniforth

posted on 17/10/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Nice grill !!!!!
;o)

olv

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
i think the car looks great i love the wheels, they look like compomotive mo's.

steering wheel is a bit huge though :p

jos

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, have you riveted to underside of you side body panels yet as they look like they are sticking out quite far and need pulling in to run flush with the sides of you nose cone????

DarrenW

posted on 18/10/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Richard - pleased you like the grill. Inspiration is a wonderful thing!!! i havent copied directly - ive used a different number of bars! Thanks for the tip.

Jos - there are loads of jobs to complete before SVA - rivetting the side panels so they are flush with the nosecone being one of them. I got the wheels straightened up better last night (2deg camber, max castor, approx 2deg toe out), adjusted the ride height to give min 4" clearance under sump and tightened up most of the suspension joints.

olv

posted on 24/10/05 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a couple of questions about your car, seeing as though i am thinking of a pinto engined car i was wondering what power mods (if any) you had done to your pinto, what sort of power are you're expecting it to put out?

also what weight do you expect your finished car to be?

cheers

oliver

[edit] i can't type quickly it seems.

[Edited on 24/10/05 by olv]

DarrenW

posted on 25/10/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Power mods - very conservative so far so as not to cause too many SVA problems.

Head - fully rebuilt and reconditioned. Ported as per Des Hammil advice (DIY ported by myself). Combustion chambers and valves sizes are stock. Head started life as injection version which made porting easier. New Kent FR32 cam (285deg fast road). New followers, springs, seals etc. Skimmed 40 thou'.
Carb - didnt have one as it was injected so ive fitted 38DGAS jetted for 2.0l.
Ignition - brand new early type electronic. Vac advance not connected.
Exhaust - full 4 branch stainless system. Sourced from Mac#1, made to David Vizard recommendations ref diameters and lengths etc.

Initially ill be happy with 120bhp at flywheel (100bhp at wheels). Later im planning to rebuild bottom end to 2.1 or 2.2 and fit bike throttle body system with suitable ECU to lift power up to approx 160bhp mark (funds, wife and driving skill permitting!!)

My inspiration in power / acceleration terms is my old E36 M3 EVO. That was approx 225bhp / tonne at wheels. I need at least 135bhp in my car to match that but i consider torque to be the most important consideration as this will be a road car primarily, weekend track car for fun. Weight will be 550 - 600Kg when finished (wet weight without driver).

I have found Des's book very usefull when porting and making sense of tuning mods. I found the porting work to be time consuming but enjoyable. I used a die grinder, any tools i could lay my hands on and a small 50l compressor (hence reason why it was slow going). I basically did the head when i either didnt have spare cash or was waiting for bits.

I hope this helps.
Darren.

olv

posted on 25/10/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
great help thanks
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.