Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone in/close to Stafford?
ChrisW

posted on 16/4/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone in/close to Stafford?

Following on from my engine request...

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/35/viewthread.php?tid=168797

...I've been offered an engine via another forum. I'd snap it up, but it sounds a bit too good to be true, which experience tells me it probably is.

Engine is in Stafford which is a bit far from me to go and collect (~250 mile round trip). It's priced very well, but the guy has no posts on said forum and only been a member a week. Perhaps I'm being too suspicious, but it all sounds a bit suss.

So, is there anyone local that would be prepared to pop round there and make sure it exists and the guy is legit? To be honest, I suspect if I tell him I'm sending someone round and it really is a scam he'll probably go quiet on me, but I'd like to be able to go through with it if he does accept. There's a couple of pints in it, of course, for anyone that can help!

Edit to add: I've also tried asking him for a photo and some measurements from it. Apparently he hasn't got a camera and can't find a tape measure - just gave me an estimate of the size - which makes me even more suspicious.

Cheers, Chris

[Edited on 16/4/2012 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jack_t

posted on 16/4/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
i'm in stafford itself
i dont mind going to have a look
what engine is it cos ill need to know ay specifics i'm looking for

ChrisW

posted on 16/4/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's a pit bike engine, basically a single cylinder motorbike engine but with a horizontal crank. I'm putting it in a mobility scooter chassis, hence going for the horizontal configuration as there's not much space under the seat.

It's a Lifan YK140, apparently brand new never fitted. It looks like this:

http://www.pitbikeparts.co.uk/yx140cc-bike-engine-26mm-carb-demon-p-1162.html

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jack_t

posted on 16/4/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
i can go have alook if you need i am free most evenings just need an address really

ChrisW

posted on 16/4/12 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Great, thanks. I'll tell him someone is coming round to take some measurements for me. Hopefully you can find a suitable tape measure, unlike him!!

Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 16/4/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Suprise suprise! On asking if 'my mate could pop round' suddenly he's too busy. This is despite originally saying I could collect.

So that's no photo (camera broken), no measurement (can't find a tape measure), about 30-40% cheaper than what I'd estimate that it's worth and now nobody can see it.

Going to steer well clear of this one, just way too iffy. Shame if he is legit, but there we go.

Thanks for the offer though Jack!

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.