Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: so how many of you are not in work today
whitestu

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Drove from London to Oxford no problems this morning.
McLannahan

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
its the river clyde, so i guess you could, but it would take you a while!
maps

its even a very long drive. about 2 hours 20 minutes or so i think (assuming you can average the speed limit on the wiggly roads. google only gives directions saying use the ferry... what you see in the photo is hunters quay (next to dunoon)

[Edited on 6/1/10 by blakep82]

Ahh....I stupidly assumed it was a lake or the mouth of an estuary!

Still beautiful though. Is property still cheaper up in Scotland or a myth these days??

David Jenkins

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'm working at home - it was throwing it down at "going to work time" - but hardly anything's fallen since 10:00. Rumour has it that the heavy stuff's coming this arvo...

Still - it's really easy for me to do my work at home (the wonders of Citrix) so the company's not lost out... in fact, I think I do more at home 'cos the boss can't bother me every 5 minutes!

blakep82

not sure^ not really looked at prices anywhere else. i do remember seeing a 1 bedroom flat for sale at £3000 (yes, 3 grand) a few years back, but it was properly rank lol. also saw a 11 bed hotel at the same time for about £200k. think its all changed since then though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

oldtimer

Not too bad Bath way. Walked in accross the fields instead of cycling - our village has a choice of 3 nasty hill start junctions to get out. Not looking forward to tomorrow with -5 deg C predicted overnight....
Dangle_kt

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I probably could have just made it, if id have tried, even though there is a lot of snow here in liverpool and on route to manchester. But its a 2 hour drive in the morning normally and I have read the m62 wasn't much fun with multipul accidents yesterday so took today as a day off.

Mrs is currently having a lie in, and then I'm going to try and rescue something from the day with some time in the garage.

Off next week too - so hopefully get to work from home for the rest of the week...

BenB

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Load of wooses.

My car was parked on a 30 degree hill which was ungritted (unadopted). I got into my car okay but as soon as I gave it any gas it just slid sideways and started rotating downhill (essentially torque steering). Had a think, then gave it a load of beans (usually the answer ), car completely slid sideways and rotated until it was facing down the hill. Job done. The wife screamed for the entire procedure. Drove off down the hill (hoping I was going to be able to avoid picking up speed!!) and drove round the back route to work. Took 2 minutes longer than normal.

Now sat looking out the window wondering how I'm going to get home because I have to go up that hill

dan__wright

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
me and the mrs are at home today but both working remotley althoguh we have both said its more productive that being at the offices as no one bothers us.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mcerd1

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
not sure^ not really looked at prices anywhere else. i do remember seeing a 1 bedroom flat for sale at £3000 (yes, 3 grand) a few years back, but it was properly rank lol. also saw a 11 bed hotel at the same time for about £200k. think its all changed since then though

pitty its in Greenock thought

McLannahan,
it depends what you think is cheap, over here on the east coast a pokey wee 1 bed flat in edinburgh will still set you back 100k or more

-

l0rd

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Woke up, Had a shower, had breakfast, got dressed

and i got the email from work

All campuses will be closed for students.
Staff still need to get to work!!!!

Unless, it is not safe to do so, in this case contact your manager and let them know what you will be working at from home.

Checked the cameras on Motorways as my work is 60 miles away, had a quick walk around the block to check the roads, went home, tried to call my line manager with no success,

OFF to bed. woke up an hour ago.

plentywahalla

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Left home at 5.45, three cold hours later arrived at London City Airport to be told flight is cancelled, three hours later now back home.

So 6 cold hours achieving nothing!! will now spend all afternoon on internet trying to get my money back.

Shoudl have stayed in warm bed.....

blakep82

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

even worse, it was in port glasgow! i threw up in my mouth a little

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Kriss

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
In in Purley and we have a good few inches, but a few miles north is just a sprinkling. Work is in Horsham near Gatwick which got hit hard.

WFH today

McLannahan

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

McLannahan,
it depends what you think is cheap, over here on the east coast a pokey wee 1 bed flat in edinburgh will still set you back 100k or more

Grandpa's (RIP) wife lives in Ediburgh - It seems like even more than London prices where she lives - crazy.

Never properly been to Scotland to have a good look around. Have done the touristy Edinburgh a couple of times and an afternoon in Glasgow.

I dream of a huge cheap property - endless barns for cars but not be too far out in the sticks - with Blake's view! Not a stretch I think!?

gttztt

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
You know its bad when there is snow in Selsey. Its been snowing since 07.30.
Anyone for a track day at Goodwood?

mookaloid

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
my drive in this morning - 20 miles of it!

Description
Description

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

thefreak

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Been working at home this week. Being a network manager means IT support is easy from home so dont need to be in the office.
Plus what's the point trying to get into work to get paid, have an accident and have to spend that day's wages on the excess.
Plus the boss is in India until Sunday so no one to hassle me other than idiot users who are trying to work from home and dont know how to run terminal services from their Vista home PC

mad4x4

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
my drive in this morning - 20 miles of it!

Description
Description

Mine was about the same for the first 10 Miles . Work now looks like that and it's dinging down in DYCE Aberdeen

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

ashg

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
drove from Rochester to Basingstoke and back today to pick up a gearbox. went along the m20, up the m26 round the m25 then down the m3. no problems whatsoever.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bassett

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hour and a bit late but i made it from the sticks into the city. God i hope it takes less time to get home.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

mcerd1

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I just went home for lunch there (its only 5 miles) and found the counsil have been out again and blocked off my road with a wall of snow

-

dan__wright

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I just went home for lunch there (its only 5 miles) and found the counsil have been out again and blocked off my road with a wall of snow

last nigh we were very tempted to make a huge snowball and block out cul de sac off but though better of it lol

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

marcjagman

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
As a carer for my missus I don't go out to work, I stay in and do it. If I did go to work I couldn't because there is that much snow here I wouldn't be able to get out.
stevebubs

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
wuss! I'm 250 miles from home in Blackpool....
SteveWalker

posted on 6/1/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Went to work yesterday - over an hour and a half for a less than 20 minute drive. Got there and couldn't get through the access road to one set of car parks, due to other vehicles getting stuck. Tried the access road to the other car parks only to see others struggling to leave and finding snow so deep that I didn't dare stop. I ended up driving home while it was still possible to get out.

Phoned in this morning and the building is closed to us.

As they've closed the building and as it was their access problems yesterday, I am hoping to still get paid (I'm a contractor), as I know that they did it recently when they sent people home from their plant in Cumbria due to the floods before Christmas.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.