Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Engine Mounts
James

posted on 9/10/02 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Engine Mounts

Time to start preparing for mounting the engine.

From what have people generally made their engine mounts. I intend to use the Fiesta Gearbox mounting for the rubber (as per MKIndy) but wondered what's suitable for the rest of it.

I'm currently considering two things: using box section (50mm each side?) but would 3mm RHS be strong enough?
Or, making up an 'I' (end profile) bar from three strips of 3mm steel- again, would 3mm be enough.

With either of these I'd cut the ends off at 45° or so and weld a 3mm flat plate on each end.

How have others done theirs? And are the above at all suitable? Bear in mind it's the beast Pinto engine!

Thanks,

James

StuartA

posted on 9/10/02 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
We are thinking of a very similar solution using box section to mount our zetec. We had the same worries about the strength... so instead of using a single length of box on each side we are intending to use two. Of course the way the plate mounts to the engine may stop you doing this.
chrisg

posted on 9/10/02 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used the cast ali Sierra mounts, there's a Diagram at:-

http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk

on build tips

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Stu16v

posted on 9/10/02 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James. Ive used 50mm RHS to fabricate mounts exactly as you describe, with a nut welded at the back of the plate for the engine mount to screw into (gone for Cortina round mounts) as you wont be able to access it with a spanner. They should be plenty strong enough, after all, the engine sits on just two pieces of 25mm RHS with a plate welded in between!

Dont just build it.....make it!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/10/02 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Time to start preparing for mounting the engine.

From what have people generally made their engine mounts. I intend to use the Fiesta Gearbox mounting for the rubber (as per MKIndy) but wondered what's suitable for the rest of it.

I'm currently considering two things: using box section (50mm each side?) but would 3mm RHS be strong enough?
Or, making up an 'I' (end profile) bar from three strips of 3mm steel- again, would 3mm be enough.

With either of these I'd cut the ends off at 45° or so and weld a 3mm flat plate on each end.

How have others done theirs? And are the above at all suitable? Bear in mind it's the beast Pinto engine!

Thanks,

James

Look at my mounts in the pics section.

The engine ones are two strips of inch rhs welded together, notched before welding to allow the mounting stud hole. The plates to the engine are two 3mm plates spotted and edge welded together.

The chassis side 'risers' are 4 sections of inch rhs welded to give a 2 inch square strong as hell (excessively so!) support.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/10/02 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
i had a steady bar made up - a lot like the mini has - at the rear of the head, rubber mounted. That, combined with the two engine and std gearbox mounts really firmed things up.

Im not making your kinda hp and torque on my car tho.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.