Poll: which 4 cylinder firing order is better [View Results]
1-3-4-2
1-2-4-3
stop asking imbecillic questions and get on with your engine transplant and making your speedo sender :mad:!

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which 4 cylinder firing order is better
Coose

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Deleted because I just really can't be bothered any more. No really, I just can't.....

[Edited on 18/3/08 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

matt_claydon

posted on 18/3/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
To put it another way, look at the animation here: http://www.cybersteering.com/cruise/feature/engine/engine.html

This is a 1243 engine and the firing order is 1243 no matter which end of the engine you call the front. There is no way this pattern can be described as "1342".

Dynamically the two are absolutely identical though (in terms of balanced and unbalanced forces and moments) and there are thereofre no mechanical advantages of one over the other.

Edit: the tables at the bottom of that page show the fundamental difference. A line in the top table eg ICEP does not appear at any point in the bottom table which ever way along the rows you read.

Top table is 1342, bottom is 1243.

[Edited on 18/3/08 by matt_claydon]

t.j.

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
The Fiesta or KA sound is always around with 1243. That are really tough engines. So no problem. Maybe for balance, cooling, exhaust you could choose a different firing-order.

But I prefer logical: 1342

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

thomas4age

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
regarding the exhaust an the desing of the primaries and the order in which they enter the collector you'd just need to make sure, that the pulses line up to aid scavenging from the cylinders.
for both firing orders discussed the orderof collector entry is the same, the target is to recieve the exhaust pulses into the collector in an orderly fashion ie 180 degrees appart

when firing order is 1-2-4-3,
cylinder:
1 needs to be next to 4
2 needs to be next to 3
4 needs to be next to 1
3 needs to be next to 2

when you make the same list for the firing order 1-3-4-2.
cylinder
1 needs to be next to 4
3 needs to be next to 2
4 needs to be next to 1
2 needs to be next to 3

You'll get the same list of the only thing is that the 4 ports on the collector fed in reverse order of the first firing order, which is the same thing as phisicly rotating the collector 180 degrees. taking the headers with it (IE twisting it around)
they both end up being 180degrees systems. think of the cylinders as 2 pairs. outer two running 360 appart and the inner 2 also running 360 appart,

in other words the reason for the difference in engine note cannot be this change in firing order. unless the exhaust system is phisicly different in desing.

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 19/3/08 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.