Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Registration year
muzz

posted on 15/11/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Registration year

Anybody know about this one. My log book has finally come back from DVLA and it has the cars year of registraion as 2005. I registered it straight away on my private plate, so my question is what plate will it go on when i take that plate off. It was built using a G reg Sierra donor, but no mention is made of this on the log book. Also will i have to have it Motd next year. Leeds VRO made me Mot it to register it and they said it would only not need an Mot to register it if the donor car was less than 3 years old. If it has to be Motd the Mot station will surely test it as a cat test as the logbook states it is a 2005 car. They also managed to get the Vin number wrong. Ace!
zetec

posted on 15/11/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
You should in theory get a age related, G, plate when you transfer your plate to another car. There is no need for an MOT to register the car, also you will not need one for the first 3 years. The law says no MOT is needed till the end of the 3rd year after it is registered and nothing to do with the date the car was built. If it was done on the date of manufactuer all those cars sitting in holding yards would need MOTs at different times.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

gingerprince

posted on 15/11/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh that's interesting, is that the case for Q plate cars too? The Indy I just bought was registered on 1st Jan 2005, but the guy had it MOT'd before selling it (October 2005). Was that an unnecessary MOT and I really don't need to have it done until January 2008? i.e. I can tax it with the V5? If so is there a link to some legislation I can read/print to confirm this?

(sorry for the thread hijack BTW!)

Thanks, Sy

Aboardman

posted on 16/11/05 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
the dvla do not know what they are doing with regards mot, i registered my tiger and got a Q plate, 6 months later i got tax reminder and said mot required,

so took my log book when i registered and pointed out it was only 6 months old and they give me a tax with no mot.

6 months later i got new reminder saying mot required, so went through the hassle of geeting one, but my car failed on mot silly thing like handbrake and weak rear light and play on steering wheel.

i had to order new bushes for steering column, in the time the bushes where coming i phoned dvla telephone tax renewal hotline and the computer automated phone line said would check details including insurance and mot.

Quess what it checked my details and said everthing was in order and sent me a tax disc, but i did not have a mot, in fact the tax disc came before i had chance to get a re test so i had wasted getting a mot, however it did find a fault on a mot so that is a good point for having the mot done.

so therefore the dvla do not know what they are doing.

mac1ZR

posted on 16/11/05 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i have registered this advice on numerous occasions, after sva, a kit car, age related, Q plate, or newly registered, DOES NOT require an MOT for 3years
Confused but excited.

posted on 16/11/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
What chokes me off, is having to pay for an initial M.o.T., after you have just paid through the nose for a bloody S.V.A!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

flak monkey

posted on 16/11/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
What chokes me off, is having to pay for an initial M.o.T., after you have just paid through the nose for a bloody S.V.A!

I thought this was sorted out the other day? I thought the official word was that you didnt need one for SVA?

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=32517

Therefore surely you dont need one after either???

David

[Edited on 16/11/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Confused but excited.

posted on 16/11/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
The story as I was told by the little grey men.

1) S.V.A., then if you pass.
2) Send for Registration documents.
3) Insure it.
4) Get it M.o.T'd.
5) Tax it.

As to not needing it after the S.V.A., that was my whole point!

If you are saying that what I have been told is incorrect, please quote a source of reference.

I was also told that I would have to trailer it there and back. That it could not be driven because it wasn't a legally registered vehicle.

I'm not being argumentative, but you can see where the 'confused' comes from.

Appreciate any clarification on this point as my nearest S.V.A. testing station is over 100 miles away. To hire a transport trailer is £100 here.

Cheers, John.

Cheers,John.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

muzz

posted on 16/11/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
AS far as im aware you can drive to and from SVA not registered the same for Mot. Ive done it with 2 cars and never been stopped.
Going back to Mot at SVA its alright saying it doesnt need one, but what are you supposed to do if Dvla local office says you need one to register it. You either argue for weeks or just do it to get registered.

DarrenW

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mac1ZR
Hi i have registered this advice on numerous occasions, after sva, a kit car, age related, Q plate, or newly registered, DOES NOT require an MOT for 3years

I must amplify Chris's post on this one. YOU DO NOT NEED MOT FOR SVA OR FOR 3 YEARS AFTER SVA.

I also had this confirmed by the very knowledgable lady inspector from Stockton DVLA when i had build up inspection done. If Stockton know about it (That is Stockton on tees - up north after Watford gap!)then im pretty sure the other offices, if they can be bothered, can also easily find out about it.

James

posted on 17/11/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed with Chris and Darren.

You do *not* need MOT until 3 years after.

You can also drive to the SVA test and back (assuming you're not condemned at the test!). Just like you can drive to a pre-arranged MOT and back if you you're MOT has expired.

This was confirmed by one of the kit car mags recently in a 'legal issue' guide they did.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

wicket

posted on 17/11/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure the insurance covers you to drive back if it fails SVA
Baldrick

posted on 18/11/05 at 04:49 AM Reply With Quote
As this thread again proves, each LVLO interprets the rules in their own way. This is confusing and makes any advice given on this topic difficult and possibly misleading - even two people using the same LVLO have different experiences.

For my part, I drove to & from the SVA centre twice (test & retest) 70 miles each way, past numerous policemen and had no issues. No mention of MOT at all either during approval, licencing or subsequent re-taxing.

I think it's up to you to either fight your corner with the LVLO person you are dealing with - they are usually reasonable, or just do what they want, if it's acceptable to you, as it might be easier/quicker in the long run.

Your insurance should be valid as long as you explained you needed cover for taking it to an SVA test. If it fails on something major which makes it unfit to drive then a) you shouldn't have taken it and b) your drive to SVA was probably also technically not covered.

Rest assured, although it's a bit of a buggers muddle now, If the DVLA ever issue definitive guidelines you can bet they'll make matters worse not better. Best to grin & bear it and then once it's done you can grin & drive it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.