Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tell me what you think!
ChrisW

posted on 16/10/01 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Tell me what you think!

Ok guys - tell me what you think (good or bad) about this new system? In particular, any extra discussion areas I could add.

Cheers!

ChrisW (Webmaster)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Gilbert

posted on 16/10/01 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - thanks for telling me about this site. I found the yahoo lists far too confusing and this is a lot better. Best of luck with it!

dave

Mike Henry

posted on 17/10/01 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Chris - thanks for telling me about this site. I found the yahoo lists far too confusing and this is a lot better. Best of luck with it!

dave

Looks good , lets see what happens with volume,
Mike Henry

paulbeyer

posted on 17/10/01 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Chris - this looks great. Much better than the Yahoo format. Lets hope more people jump across. I'm sold on the whole thing, well done.
Steve Bird

posted on 17/10/01 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
In my opinion it's a better layout than anything else I found so far
for locosts.
It look's like the same style board that I am a member of for my
other hobby - motorbike Trials.
Check out www.trials.co.uk/ubb/cgi/Ultimate.cgi
This board is excellent and is a great source of information for a
minority sport.

Ultimately though the board is only as good as the users. So lets spread the word.

Another point is how easy can people find the board through search
engines etc..

(copied from my reply on yahoo !!)

ewanspence

posted on 17/10/01 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I would happily move is there were enough posts to make it worth while.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 17/10/01 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It look's like the same style board that I am a member of for my
other hobby - motorbike Trials.
Check out www.trials.co.uk/ubb/cgi/Ultimate.cgi
the word.

That board uses a system called UBB (Ultimate Bulletin board). The guys who wrote this one basically got fed up with the costs imposed by UBB to run their software that they made their own version and gave it away free. As you say, it is very similar.

ChrisW

alan wheeldon

posted on 26/1/02 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
ive been looking for a good site on locosts for ages, now ive found one.

keep up the good work, me and a friend are building our cars in about 2 weeks, cant wait.

oh ye, were from chesterfield as well.

bob

posted on 27/1/02 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
I've only just looked at the yahoo group this week,and i'd say your just in time as it looks like their just about to all fall out of bed.
I like this format,and so far i've met a couple of nice people.
Everybody seems helpfull which is what its all about.
Maybe we can get a meeting at one of the shows.

bigdaddyadd

posted on 28/1/02 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have just signed up to the Locost yahoo group and have to say this site knocks spots off it. I found it quite complicated to search and post end register and confirm emails etc. There is a lot of information there but some of the users seem to be less interested in helping out or sharing knowledge. Also when the posts are emailed to you they are massively repeated. You cant have too much access to material with locost building but if I can I will try to contain my knowledge quest to these boards
James

posted on 28/1/02 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think the yahoo site is really a victim of it's own success- ie. too many posts mixed together.
I've persevered with the yahoo site as there are many knwoledgeable people there who are willing to help others out but I've found it much better to stick with browsing the website as opposed to having the e-mail. There appears to be a big issue with viruses with the e-mails and far too much duplication. The key with that site is either to browse back until you find the beginning of a thread or just jump into a thread and use the 'up thread' button until you get to the beginning of it. You then end up with a list of all the replies to the original post and as you work down them and get diverted along other replies you can use the 'up threa' button again to get back to the last diversion point.
Or something.... :-)

I don't know why they don't use the old news groups system. That was great especially for a topic with the volume of traffic that they have. It's also text so easy to download on slow modem, you can kill threads you're not interested in and easily find new posts.
I've not set one up myself but from speaking to others it really isn't that hard. Oh well!

James

Jon Ison

posted on 22/2/02 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
tis ok. nuff said
bass

posted on 16/4/02 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
site is very good, but, you don't like free speech
bass

posted on 16/4/02 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
what happend to 16kw? he had a lot of replies, got a lot of people going
Metal Hippy™

posted on 17/4/02 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
It's funny how a new member can say 'Hi guys I'm back' and then start on about kw like he knows something about it....

I'd set the record straight but I reckon you already know

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

ChrisW

posted on 17/4/02 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
16kw was being abusive to people on this site both publically and by using u2u. He was asked to explain himself, never replied and so was banned.

Nothing to do with 'free speech' as you put it - everyone is welcome to an opinion. However I will not put up with someone being abusive to other members.

Chris

My gaff my rules

Dazza

posted on 17/4/02 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
WELL SAID, SO BE WARNED ANY "NEW COMERS!!!"
Chris will KICK ya out if you are an Idiot..

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Paul_S

posted on 17/4/02 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
For a new comer the site is great and easy to navigate. When I ever get started on the car I hope to use it extensively. However, I can't get an answer to my first post, about an Irish SVA equivilant test. Do anyone have a URL for the Yahoo Locost site as someone there might be based in Ireland.

Cheers

Paul

bass

posted on 17/4/02 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
16kw wasn't abusive read what the others siad they were the ones being abusive. good site but i don't get the meaning of the stars
merlin

posted on 17/4/02 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Site very good all round except the picture department Chris!! We need to show off our cars to get others interrested instead of just chat. Lets show them what you can build from the book aswell as talking about it??
andybuff

posted on 17/4/02 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent site a bunch of really helpful guys
would be handy if there was an area that we could up & download drawings and ideas that we have learned during our builds.The other site does have this.But this is the best site and no petty arguing.It a shame most of the active guys live oop north,is there anyone in the Kent area,if so mail me and we could arrange a meet

James

posted on 18/4/02 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do anyone have a URL for the Yahoo Locost site as someone there might be based in Ireland.
Cheers
Paul

Much as it grates to do so:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locost/

Although things have improved there loads recently I'd still recommend lurking for awhile on the group before posting to get an idea of the style/tone. That way you're less likely to get flamed by some of the wonderful people there.

Good Luck,

James

chrisg

posted on 18/4/02 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

The Conrod Kid, Dazza and Bob are southern softies, much like your self.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

James

posted on 18/4/02 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Andy,

The Conrod Kid, Dazza and Bob are southern softies, much like your self.

Cheers

Chris

Not, of course that you would forget ChrisW and also Merlin and myself!

Of the top 10 most frequent posters 5 are from down south!

What a lot of 'soft southern jessies' there are on this site!

James

bob

posted on 18/4/02 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks James you are now known as "stato"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.