Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using a power steering rack without the power?
MikeR

posted on 31/5/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Keeping on track ..... anyone any idea how you make sure when using an electric pump that the power steering isn't incredibly light?

I like heavy steering, means I can 'feel' the road. I just worry if you fit random bits together you may get too much assistance.

mr henderson

posted on 31/5/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Keeping on track ..... anyone any idea how you make sure when using an electric pump that the power steering isn't incredibly light?

I like heavy steering, means I can 'feel' the road. I just worry if you fit random bits together you may get too much assistance.

That could indeed be a problem. I think I will just have to experiment, hopefully by choosing bits from similar cars I might get lucky. It would be good if it were possible to control the amount of assistance in some way, but I'm not really expecting to get that lucky

John

C10CoryM

posted on 31/5/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
You may not like what Mikerj has to say, but he is correct that de-powering a power rack is not a good idea. The torsion shaft is a skinny little spring that is designed to twist allowing the spool to work smoothly. It is also used as an emergency manual connection.
It is in no way designed for the extra load of constant manual operation. Torsion shafts are usually all of 0.25" thick VS the 0.75-1" tube that is normally used for steering shafts.
You will also get slop because the torsion shaft will flex before turning the wheel as it is designed to.
Custom racks really aren't all that much money and you will get a faster ratio so you aren't flapping your arms like an idiot while racing.
Cheers.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 31/5/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
You may not like what Mikerj has to say, but he is correct that de-powering a power rack is not a good idea. T

Au contraire, I am happy to read and take in what Mikerj has to say, if I showed any annoyance it was his crack about the "dozens of times before" that I felt I had to reply to, not the mention of the torsion spring.

In any case, I have already said, based on the information received in this useful thread, that I will be using an electrically powered pump so the issue of using a power rack without the power will not arise.

John

MikeCapon

posted on 2/6/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just one other alternative for you. On the works 6R4 we ran a standard PAS pump off the front diff driven with a poly-V belt. Worked well (except for parking ) and, as far as I am aware, passed MOTs.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.