Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Woohoooo!!!! FREEEEE!!!
Ninehigh

posted on 21/1/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah that's the problem there's no definition of "reasonable"

Simon

posted on 21/1/10 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
Its all about the very very grey area of "reasonable force"
In a nutshell, reasonable force is to use a lesser force than the perpetrator if you are being attacked.
If they are scarpering then your too late.

Yes, the grey area needs to be black and white, get caught breaking and entering , face the consequences.

Re the scarpering, I've heard that if you do a runner in the states and the victim is quick/strong enough, they'll drag you back to their house, then shoot you

ATB

Simon

clairetoo

posted on 21/1/10 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Yeah that's the problem there's no definition of "reasonable"

I'd define reasonable as killing the burgler and burying the body in the woods ..............since no one knows where he is or what he is up to when he's out committing these crimes , he would simply disappear .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

morcus

posted on 21/1/10 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be picky but he should be hanged, not hung.

IMO, beating someone to death after they've threatened you and your family at knife point when you know they won't be adequatly punished by the legal system is a perfectly reasonably reaction. I don't think its a good thing to do, but I think most people would do the same in the same situation. Almost everytime something like this the supposed 'victim' is a career criminal who's never worked an honest job. Like the whole Tony Martin thing where the 'victims' were career criminals who'd robbed him before.

It always seems to be that career criminals, who's legal representation is payed for with our taxes, win in these sorts of things, If they let us sort it out ourselves the savings would be huge. (Just imagine how much money it must cost to hold a trial).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

dan8400

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
It is easy to get caught up in the whole "reasonable force" issue and whether or not you can batter someone in the street..... fact is, if the guy wasn't robbing he wouldn't have been beaten up

karma anyone...????

Dan

scudderfish

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
"reasonable" is left at that so that a jury of your peers can decide if it was reasonable or not. They chose not.
nick205

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
The intruder gave up his rights the moment he stepped onto Hussain's property univinted, unwanted and with harmful intent. To then threaten and imprison a family can only strengthen that argument.

IMHO Hussain acted in the moment with more than just cause. I don't believe he should be applauded, but rather left to continue his life in peace - I suspect the emotional strain on him and his family will live with them forever more!

Would I do the same...?

I'd like to think I would, but knowing myself I suspect I would have been relieved the intruder was out of the house and stayed with my family to ensure their safety.

I also suspect I would then have had to deal with untold anger and self-doubt when the intruder was either not caught or caught and given a smack bottom by the courts.

scootz

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rek
The whole system is biased towards the professional offender who knows how to play the system. The average law abiding Joe doesnt stand a chance. for an example see the recent warning Myleene Class (might not have spelled the name right!) got for being inside her house and shouting that she had a knife.....

"Hertfordshire police warned her she should not have used a knife to scare off the youths because carrying an "offensive weapon", even in her own home, was illegal"

Don't know about England, but in Scotland a knife is not an Offensive Weapon in your own home. Just the same as a baseball-bat behind the front door with a nail in it... perfectly okay if it stays there!

Take either outside without reasonable excuse... it becomes an offensive weapon!

As for the Myleene Klasse story ... my advise to anyone in that situation is to only arm yourself with a weapon if you KNOW you have the ability (physically AND mentally) to follow through. Most decent folk don't, but it's more than likely that chummy is quite prepared to take it off you and use it against you!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

IMHO Hussain acted in the moment...

That's the problem - by legal definition the moment had gone and unfortunately due to our ridiculously rigid legal-system that's all that matters!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andi
In a nutshell, reasonable force is to use a lesser force than the perpetrator if you are being attacked.

That's not right... it depends entirely on the situation. It's generally accepted that it's the just the right amount of force to defend yourself, your property, or others.

For instance (and again I can only speak for Scotland), Scot's Law even provides for using deadly-force in certain circumstances. The first example that comes to mind is rape... in Scotland a woman who is being ravished with intent to rape can legally kill her attacker to PREVENT the act taking place. Of course, she will have to satisfy the court that her version of events is true.

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
"reasonable" is left at that so that a jury of your peers can decide if it was reasonable or not. They chose not.

I want everyone who agreed with me here on my jury, I've seen the acts of my so-called "peers" and I don't want people like that to be likened as equal to me

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.