Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Cage
micklax

posted on 2/2/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Cage

Need a bit of help/advice if anyone can assist.

I'm in the process of building a Locost with a view to (eventually!) competing in the 750mc series. Whilst that may be some way off, I am looking to get a roll cage fitted to my chassis which will comply with the Championship regs. Like everyone I suppose, I am working on a very tight budget, so am looking to identify who might be able to supply and fit a roll cage without breaking the bank!

Any ideas please?

Benzo

posted on 2/2/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
i have a Caged Cage on my Westfield, but alot of the guys over here have custom cages built from T45 seamless tubing.. they don't have any problems with scrutinering.. so i would presume its just a matter of getting a fabricator to make you up one?

this is the company i got mine from, but at £900 + postage they are expensive enough.

http://www.therollcagepeople.com/

procomp

posted on 2/2/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

for the Locost championship there are only two suppliers of cage that are legal and compliant for use.

Aries motorsport who supply a 1 3/4 Dia item that weighs 34Kg and procomp who supply a 1 1/2" that weighs 22Kg.
cost for the Procomp starts at £850 fully fitted Inc the extra chassis members that are recommended in the regulations and side protection.

Beware some others Inc the so called Caged items which are not actually a caged item just a copy being sold under false pretences. And if you want to see how well they construct them take a look in my photo archive under TMC. !!!

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 2/2/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is the price high just because there are only 2 company's aloud to make them ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew

posted on 2/2/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
are they the only two allowed ,or can you build your own from the correct spec material ,,,if you can build chassis,!!!

[Edited on 2/2/11 by andrew]

micklax

posted on 2/2/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Matt.

I was aware that some of the cages advertised would not be suitable/allowed under the regulations. I am not far away from Aries so I will give them a call.

Thanks again for your help.

andrew

posted on 2/2/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
have looked into other classes of racing and it seems to be if you are limited who to get the cage off they seem to be double the price,,,
loggyboy

posted on 2/2/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not withstanding Matts misleading comments, anyone can make a compliant rollcage, providing its designed and constructed within the specifications set out in the MSA Bluebook. (competitors safety section). Just be sure who ever does make it for you is going to do a good job!
andrew

posted on 2/2/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
would anyone know i this applies to the mazda mx5 racing series,,
phelpsa

posted on 2/2/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Basically the only people who do one 'off the shelf' are Aries for about £600 (I have one, very nice!) and Procomp (have seen one, also very nice!) for £850.

Anyone can make one provided it fits the regulations laid out in the blue book (like the Aries one) or it if FIA homologated (like the Procomp one).

The advantage of buying an FIA homologated cage is that you can use thinner tubes in better locations to make a better and lighter design.

I recon you would pay around the £6-800 mark for a custom one so really you may as well go Aries or splash out for the light weight Procomp one.

nick205

posted on 2/2/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Basically the only people who do one 'off the shelf' are Aries for about £600 (I have one, very nice!) and Procomp (have seen one, also very nice!) for £850.

Anyone can make one provided it fits the regulations laid out in the blue book (like the Aries one) or it if FIA homologated (like the Procomp one).

The advantage of buying an FIA homologated cage is that you can use thinner tubes in better locations to make a better and lighter design.

I recon you would pay around the £6-800 mark for a custom one so really you may as well go Aries or splash out for the light weight Procomp one.

^^^ that's added a valuable bit more clarity to the thread IMHO ^^^

snakebelly

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Not withstanding Matts misleading comments, anyone can make a compliant rollcage, providing its designed and constructed within the specifications set out in the MSA Bluebook. (competitors safety section). Just be sure who ever does make it for you is going to do a good job!

err is that fair? Matt only said that for the locost championiship the only 2 suppliers are himself and airies, series regs can limit things like cage supply to whoever they like as long as the design and fab is to bluebook. ie the Tiger Series limits legal cage supply to ...Tiger, although they are manufactured by caged.

just my ten peneth

loggyboy

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew
would anyone know i this applies to the mazda mx5 racing series,,

Providing its run under MSA (which if its a UK based series it will be) then yes, the same regs apply.

The 750MC rules have some addtional guidelines, but thats mainly to stop people from adding too much reinforcement to the Locost chassis, and obviously only applicable to the cars racing in the series. However using these regs to spec the cage may give you more of an advantage in chassis strength over just doing one 'by the blue book'

If you want to build your own or get a bespke one made for you, the the MSA blue book would be the only place to start when designing/specing it. (for any motoracing). If you are looking to compete in the Locost series then reading the blue book and the 750mc regs (if gettin one made) or you may feel its simpler to use the 2 alternative routes that Matt(procomp) mentioned above are an 2nd and 3rd option.

Its worth noting that most LSIS manufacturers charge about £600-650 for a full msa rollcage to add to their own cars. I would expect they could make you one for a Locost chassis for much the same price. However their experience in the 750mc series regs may vary so again, this is something to consider.

loggyboy

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
err is that fair? Matt only said that for the locost championiship the only 2 suppliers are himself and airies, series regs can limit things like cage supply to whoever they like as long as the design and fab is to bluebook. ie the Tiger Series limits legal cage supply to ...Tiger, although they are manufactured by caged.

just my ten peneth

Its very fair, as the 750mc DONT limit who supplys the cages (I did check before posting!). Their regs merely state a cage to bluebook regs, also quotes several diagrams to guide and also as i mentioned above, guides on limitations on how much reinforcement can be added.

procomp

posted on 2/2/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I was under the impression that the OP was looking for a cage supllier not to make one. It is quite obvious that anyone can make a cage to MSA/FIA spec if they follow the guide lines laid out in the blue book as that's why those guidelines are there.

Give Steve at Aries a ring as heel sort one out and it is a bolt on option so relativley easy as a retrofit item.

Cheers Matt

micklax

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hope I haven't opened a can of worms with this question!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, I'm afraid making one myself is well out of my range of expertise, I will speak to Aries and see where we go from there. Just to add another one into the mix, I live very close to MK, so may well check with them too.

Thanks again for all your help

scootz

posted on 2/2/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you've not seen the recent thread about the MK roll-cage... either that, or you're on the wind-up!

It's Evolution Baby!

RobLyon

posted on 2/2/11 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a link to the mk roll cage thread? I have tried searching..
loggyboy

posted on 2/2/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
here
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/2/viewthread.php?tid=127272&page=2

and here

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=148715

micklax

posted on 3/2/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, hadn't seen the thread about MK, but have now.....Thanks for that.....might give hat one a miss!!
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Dont give it a miss, just expain to them the cage needs to be compliant! They should be well aware of any issue and its a very easy fix.
The only reason the MK didnt/doesnt work is the double kink, and thats because they wanted to bring the cage down into the foot well, rather than outside the side panels.

micklax

posted on 3/2/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Have emailed 750mc regarding this issue, and they tell me that as far as they are aware only one car has been rejected due to the roll cage, and that was because it wasn't fitted correctly. I am waiting for a response from a 'Formula Official' so will see what that one throws up.

Is anyone aware of any other competitors who use the MK roll cage?

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Most competing MKs I would expect?
steveiow

posted on 6/2/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Just my 2p worth but my book cage is currently being ripped out of my race locost and Matt is installing a procomp one.

I wouldnt think twice about going to Matt. You will get first class service and a quality product.

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

TMC

posted on 7/2/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick note to say that the roll cage pictured in Matt's (Procomp) photo gallery doesn't actually appear to be one we have welded, so I would appreciate the reference to our name to be removed please.

It's possible we may have supplied the kit to build the cage, as we had a bit of a clear out and didnt need a couple that were in the workshop, but it was definitely not fitted to a car by us.
Just looking at the position of the bolts through to the chassis confirms that to me, as we have always placed them in the four corners of the plate, and used nyloc nuts to secure them!

I'd better add as well, just for clarity, that if it is one we supplied in kit form, it would be one that had come from Caged originally and would therefore have been perfectly legal for use.
AFAIK nobody has attempted to replicate the Caged design, much less pass an imitation off as a genuine item.

Matt
TMC Motorsport

[Edited on 7/2/11 by TMC]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.