Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm geniunly concerned for us all - the state of the roads!
Ninehigh

posted on 14/2/11 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
F**K that they're not stealing any more from me

tony-devon

posted on 14/2/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Devons roads are horrific, on my industrial estate one particular bend was so bad that I reported it every day for weeks, and nothing was done, spoke with a guy in the town that was doing temporary repairs, ie tipping gravel into holes

a 11m stretch of road, 19 offical potholes, and to be officially a pothole apparantly it has to have sides of 4" deep?

in total 31 sizeable holes, my golf with huge rims and elastic bands for tyres, couldnt be driven that route.

then all of the sudden they are redoing the road properly, heard the reason why, a guy visiting on business in an extremely expensive porsche came round the bend, hit two of them good and proper, apparantly the bill to replace all 4 rims and tyres was in excess of £10k LOL

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 14/2/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Edinburgh is worse than its ever been, the cold winter + the trams have destroyed what were already bad surfaces
(never mind all the junction designs they messed up for the trams as well...)

and I've found a few huge new holes on some of the back roads out here - one thats only a couple of inches deep but the full width of the road and about 3' - 4' long and growing every day
at what point do you stop calling it a pot hole and just say a gravel road instead ?

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
maryhill road in glasgow's right down the original cobble stones under the tarmac. interesting to see they're not coming up in any place, just the tarmac

+1 for cobbles - at least a pot hole can only be a couple of inches deep when theres some granite underneath

[Edited on 14/2/2011 by mcerd1]

-

rb968

posted on 14/2/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I was out in the Lakes at the weekend in a mates Boxster. The roads there are truly shocking despite in the next few months being some of the busiest in the area with tourists. They have for years simply skimmed them with tar and chippings and now in places they have completely fallen apart. Coming down the side of Windermere driving someone elses car was truly terrifying as the road was flooded in places meaning there were potholes flooded with water. The only indicator was the car in front nearly bottoming out as it thumped into a hidden hole and the hardcore strewn across the road where it was getting dragged up by passing cars.

If the money tourism brings to the lakes isn't justification enough to resurface those roads correctly then what hope for anywhere in Cumbria.

I am getting ready to IVA and hoping to get out in my Indy but at the moment I would be very wary based on what I have seen locally. They have already been out once and thrown tar into the holes but on the bus route outside my house there is hardcore an inch or more in diameter all over the road.

Where I live all roadsurfacing seems to be done by contract firms. Would we be better with council run surfacing teams? I know the equipment investment would be huge but long term surely its better than paying contractors through the nose? We complain to the council but no one of any use works for them anymore. It costs a fortune to get streetlights changed etc.

Rich

Ivan

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Re-surfacing of just about any sort only works when the structural layers of the road are in good nick - once they start failing then the only worthwhile exercise is to completely re-build the road. That's why you need proper design and maintenance to preserve the integrity of the structural layers - delay the maintenance and the structure starts failing exponentially with time and you very soon reach the stage where any maintenance can only ever be temporary and you are throwing good money after bad.

That's why you should re-surface the road before the layman would think that it's necessary.

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
you should try riding a motor bike in the rain with all those pot holes!! scary stuff

Hit one a few weeks ago, front wheel came so far up the strut that my fender hit the horn and chipped the paintwork, that's about 8 inches travel on the forks! and it's only a cruiser, lucky not to bend the rim or fall off

I'm using the steel rims on the car as it's too bad for alloys

[Edited on 14/2/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'm starting to be very grateful that my toy car has high-profile tyres (185/70 x 13" ). I always intended for it to have an "old-fashioned" look, and it's now paying dividends...

[Edited on 14/2/11 by David Jenkins]

dan__wright

posted on 14/2/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
i hit a large pothole on the way to / from one my my SVA tests, it launched the front n/s wheel about a foot in the air and sent the whole car flying, not fun!

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Ninehigh

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wait until someone gets hurt because of it

A1

posted on 16/2/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
why dont we all just stop paying tax? people only pay proper attention when you hit them in the wallet.

if they took some money out of the dole, maybe wed get the service we all pay for.

Ninehigh

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
why dont we all just stop paying tax?

Tell me more

jacko

posted on 17/2/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone seen any roads been repaired ?

I haven't bloody great big holes every where you go

coyoteboy

posted on 17/2/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=261767&id=510374248&l=e8b113aa6d no need to register
carpmart

posted on 17/2/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Its really like a third world country! I'm just getting more and more p*ssed off with the whole situation!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

RazMan

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
The Essex Council are neatly side stepping their damage claims due to potholes. SWMBO's Smart car was damaged (broken spring and bent shock) by a huge pothole so we photographed it, measured it, and sent all the evidence including GPS co-ordinates to the Council. Their answer was that they had recently inspected the road and everything was ok so it must have happened after their last inspection (duh!) They denied liability as they had decided the road does not warrant any more inspections........... grrrr

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

ashg

posted on 17/2/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
the only way to send the government a message is for the whole country to go on national strike for a week, lets show them who is really in control of the economy!

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

coyoteboy

posted on 21/2/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well nearly bit the dust on Saturday. Driving along a stretch of road, crested a slight hill at 50ish in a NSL A road and didn't spot the pothole as I was concentrating on a bike that was about to overtake and a car at a junction further up. Hit the pothole. Front left blowout, only just managed to keep it on the black stuff and not take out the motorcyclist. Check for damage - minimum is a trashed sidewall on a NEW tyre replaced from last pothole impact and a bent 15" alloy.
carpmart

posted on 21/2/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Coyoteboy

That is really terrible and it sounds like you have been VERY lucky!

I repeat my original post, how do we do something about this?

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

A1

posted on 22/2/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
what really pisses me off is when they spend money on other things that arent necessary... theres a road up here where theyre putting in new pavements down each side, with crossings and everything...but not touching the road that pretty much has a 2-3 inch rut right down the middle...
Ninehigh

posted on 22/2/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
The Essex Council are neatly side stepping their damage claims due to potholes. SWMBO's Smart car was damaged (broken spring and bent shock) by a huge pothole so we photographed it, measured it, and sent all the evidence including GPS co-ordinates to the Council. Their answer was that they had recently inspected the road and everything was ok so it must have happened after their last inspection (duh!) They denied liability as they had decided the road does not warrant any more inspections........... grrrr

Keep at it, you pay road tax to maintain the roads.

Also find out if it's deep enough to trip over... I know with loose paving stones it had to stick up a certain amount before you could claim

David Jenkins

posted on 22/2/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Razman,

I live in Suffolk, just north of the Essex border, and when I drive around locally I quite often cross the border each way. I can always tell when I'm in Essex, because the roads are so appalling....

Suffolk's roads aren't that great, but the ones in Essex (even the main roads) are dreadful, and have been for all the time I've lived here (25+ years).

coyoteboy

posted on 5/3/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
On closer inspection it wasn't just the tyre that bit it, the rim and the coil on the same corner are all trashed. Gutted.
carpmart

posted on 6/3/11 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
I was out for a drive yesterday and my worst fears were realised!

The pot holes are enormous when you're in a seven esq car! They are bound to be a bigger contributing factor to accidents than speed! Don't believe the propaganda that speed kills, its POTHOLES!!!!!!

'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8

Ninehigh

posted on 6/3/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
On closer inspection it wasn't just the tyre that bit it, the rim and the coil on the same corner are all trashed. Gutted.

Sue them, if they maintained the roads properly then the potholes couldn't get big enough to do that kind of damage.

austin man

posted on 6/3/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
common knowledge that Councils find it cheaper to pay for minor claims than the cost of resurfacing take pictures get witnesses wherever and put a claim in

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.