Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busted - 41 in a 30
RazMan

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Busted - 41 in a 30

With a combination of strong sunlight on my LED dash, combined with a slightly sticky throttle cable, I just got caught by Mr Plod and his hairdryer - 41 in a 30 limit

I was greeted with "Nice car, but that's no excuse to exceed the speed limit" He was lurking just before my village speed limit turns into dual carriageway and (no excuse I know) I was just following the traffic out of the village ..... but he chose me to point his gun at!

What's the going rate? 3 points and a fine? public flogging? speed awareness course?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rayward

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
too fast for speed awareness course,possiblt 3 points and a fine, but might even end up going to court i'm afraid !

:-(

Steve Hignett

This is almost certainly a bunch of bullspit, but isn't there a law that if the car at front of convoy is not caught then you're excuse of "following next car doing same speed" may have some substance.

Happily be shot down as it's prob just pub talk...

Ben_Copeland

You might get lucky with the speed awareness, unless you already have points.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
too fast for speed awareness course,possiblt 3 points and a fine, but might even end up going to court i'm afraid !

No chance unless he's hit his limit.

He's only 8 mph over the allowed speed.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

rayward

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
quote:

No chance unless he's hit his limit.

He's only 8 mph over the allowed speed.

oh right, i guy who i work with went to court for 40 in a 30 ?

what is the allowed limit ? i got the course for 32 in a 30 ?

Ray

MikeRJ

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

oh right, i guy who i work with went to court for 40 in a 30 ?

what is the allowed limit ? i got the course for 32 in a 30 ?

Ray

You can choose to go to court for any speeding offence. The ACPO guidelines suggest a FPN for 35 mph or over and that summons be issued for 50 mph or over in a 30mph limit, but this is only a guideline and the officer is at liberty to use his discretion either way.

FWIW I had a sphincter tighnening moment on the way home on my bike; blasted past a newish black Range Rover with dark tinited windows (the full on drug dealer look) at <mumble> mph and when I looked back in my mirror I saw blue lights in the grill

I backed off quickly and then noticed the lights were steady rather than flashing and that he wasn't accelerating to catch me. Fortunately it was just a cretin trying to make himself feel important with some blue lights.

[Edited on 8/4/11 by MikeRJ]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/4/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Chap at work got done 45 in a 30. Given option of the course. Job done.

32 in a 30 is just ridiculous. Your supposed to get 10% to allow for inaccurate speedo.

Must cameras won't flash at 32. I go through average cameras doing 55 in a 50 no probs.

[Edited on 8/4/11 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

MikeRJ

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm always very dubious when I hear of FPNs for 31 and 32mph, they simply don't happen and I've never seen anyone offer an FPN as proof.
Volvorsport

posted on 8/4/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
snaap , on the way home , i got nabbed ............................again.

80 something in a 70 ...............

ianclark1275

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
the likely outcome is a SP30 £60 and 3 points.

i got flashed by a fixed camera on a1 at barrowby near grantham 94 in a 70.

however a transit connect is 2010kg gvw and the max speed on a dual carriageway is 60mph. limit for 70mph is 1999kg

i got a summons and looked at mitigation, the only thing that i found was "if there is a threat of life or limb etc.." or something.

ie. if your taking someone to hospital cos there leg is dropping off etc..

i already had 3 points and magistrates gave me 6 and 500 fine.

thats 9

then, a few weeks later a woman traffic officer got me on the road outside my house doing 39 in a 30 and she said "any points?"

she was the best looking police officer i have ever seen, you cant do it.

she let me go.

best thing was , she caught my wife a few weeks later, same place! 3 points.

sorry, got off the point a bit there, you should get a FPN, but a friend wife works for an insurance firm and apparently they are taking more notice of the "common" points these days?

and i bet everyone who has ever driven a connect van on a dual cw have done 70!

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

austin man

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
for the course its 10% +5 mph so a thirty limit is 38 mph tops unless your really lucky

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
My wife got caught for 36 in a 30 zone - she didn't whinge too much as that meant her speedo was showing 40+ at the time! (verified with my satnav!).

She did the speed awareness course. The first thing the lecturer said was "who got caught for doing 36mph?" - most hands went up. "Who got caught for for doing less?" - one person was nicked for doing 32 in a 30 zone. I can only assume that there were "circumstances" (passing a school, or similar).

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
3 Points and 60 quid fine shouldnt go to court unless you want to appeal
DRC INDY 7

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Limit
Fixed Penalty
Summons

20 mph
25 mph
35 mph

30 mph
35 mph
50 mph

40 mph
46 mph
66 mph

50 mph
57 mph
76 mph

60 mph
68 mph
86 mph

70 mph
79 mph
96 mph

Fixed penalty of

1. £60 (pending)

2. Licence endorsed with 3 penalty points
Magisterial discretion (level 2) maximum of:

1. £1000 fine

2. Licence endorsed - range of penalty points available

3. Disqualification

4. Compulsory re-testing

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Confused but excited.

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

I backed off quickly and then noticed the lights were steady rather than flashing and that he wasn't accelerating to catch me. Fortunately it was just a cretin trying to make himself feel important with some blue lights.

The fact that he let you know he was there and didn't do anything else, would suggest he was a decent copper giving you a heads-up to his presence, before you did anything silly. like speeding off down the road with an unmarked police car behind you.

Why is being fined for doing 32 in a 30 limit stupid?

The fine is for breaking the law. We all know it, so why moan that you 'just broke it a little bit'.
That's like saying "I'm only a little bit pregnant".

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

eccsmk

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
i had my speed awareness course yesterday caught doing 40 in a 30.
the choice i had was £65 and 3 points or £85 and the course

loggyboy

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

The fact that he let you know he was there and didn't do anything else, would suggest he was a decent copper giving you a heads-up to his presence, before you did anything silly. like speeding off down the road with an unmarked police car behind you.

Police only use flashing lights and would never give a 'heads up' using solid/steady lights. Its just joe public with some legal blue lights behind his grill. Youd be suprised how many people think your a copper when you have them though, especially in a white volvo! lol

Peteff

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fortunately it was just a cretin trying to make himself feel important with some blue lights.

I was driving legally in a 30 limit when I saw blue lights coming up fast behind me so I slowed to let them pass till they got closer and it was some idiot in a Cinquecento with the lights in the front grill so I pulled back out and continued at 25mph just to annoy them. I wonder what they think they are achieving apart from bugging other drivers?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

Police only use flashing lights and would never give a 'heads up' using solid/steady lights. Its just joe public with some legal blue lights behind his grill. Youd be suprised how many people think your a copper when you have them though, especially in a white volvo! lol

Didnt think they was such a thing as LEGAL blue lights, if a copper see's them.... Impersonating a police officer?

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

loggyboy

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Didnt think they was such a thing as LEGAL blue lights, if a copper see's them.... Impersonating a police officer?

Only flashing blue lights are illegal. You can display any colour you like (except red) to the front of a car, (as long as the normal (side, head, main) lights are regular white/yellow colours.

[Edited on 8/4/11 by loggyboy]

RazMan

posted on 8/4/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooh, it looks like I might be going back to school

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/4/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Only flashing blue lights are illegal. You can display any colour you like (except red) to the front of a car, (as long as the normal (side, head, main) lights are regular white/yellow colours.

[Edited on 8/4/11 by loggyboy]

Ah ok. Still wouldn't bother with them tho. People will just think your some spotty boy racer who's stuck blue lights on his dads car. Plus I bet if the police saw that chap using static blue lights to get people the move over in traffic he'd still get booked.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

loggyboy

posted on 8/4/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah ok. Still wouldn't bother with them tho. People will just think your some spotty boy racer who's stuck blue lights on his dads car. Plus I bet if the police saw that chap using static blue lights to get people the move over in traffic he'd still get booked.

Not sure how you can 'make' people move over. People moving over because of their own ignorance of the law then its their own fault IMO!

bj928

posted on 9/4/11 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
i'm just glad i got an American licence now to show if i get caught, still get the fine, but get away with points
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.