Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: dead engine 8 days before IVA
franky

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
dead engine 8 days before IVA

Well was suppose to be doing all the final bits before my IVA next week, I've had very very recent oil pressure issues. Low low pressure at idle but otherwise everything was fine, pressure still rising with RPM though, got to the point where it would show only 2psi idle with cold oil, 0 when warm.

No knocking, still sounded sweet and went very well. Everything checked, sensors, constant pressure valves etc. So the engine has got to come out.

I've a 'spare' engine however its a 3.2 evo engine that will require a CAT for IVA and trying to find somewhere to make one in time is proving nearly impossible.

The car is in bits feels like going back 6 months, with a big kick in the teeth. The old engine is still salvageable but I think it needs new mains in it. I guess atleast its still running with no noises.

Feeling grumpy!

blakep82

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
does your gauge and sender definitely work ok? what sender are you using? and what gauge?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

franky

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
stack display, stack solid state sensors, i've checked/swapped sensors around with the same results.

[Edited on 12/4/11 by franky]

mookaloid

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky

No knocking, still sounded sweet and went very well.

Electrical gauges can be funny sometimes even with all the right kit.

I wouldn't take it out just yet. It sounds like it should at least hang on until after the test.

I would get a mechanical gauge to check the pressure with before condemning it anyway.

WORKSHOP MASTER ENGINE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE / TESTING KIT | eBay UK

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

adithorp

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be checking every thing twice before pulling the engine out. Are you 100% the gauge is accurate? Do you still have an oil pressure switch in? Can you put either an alternating mechanical gauge in or a simple presure swich and bulb to confirm the low presure? Is the relief valve OK? Is the pick-up pipe clear?
If it has to come out phone VOSA and get a postponement.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcerd1

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
have you got any other gauges you could test it with ? (mechanical gauge for preference)

[edit: too slow again...]

[Edited on 12/4/2011 by mcerd1]

-

franky

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
All the pressures have been checked as accurate about 5 times, really didn't want to be in this position, all pickup's are clear, relief valve is working fine and swapped with another. Going to see how I get on and call VOSA thursday if its not looking good.
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree not to take the engine out yet, you should buy a pressure switch or an analogue gauge first, they are not too expensive and being plumbed in are more trustworthy than a digital one. A switch would at least tell you it’s got pressure. I have not refitted a gauge in my car as I find I tend to pay too much attention to what they are doing when 99.99% of the time it’s just irrelevant.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd chuck about 4 cans of STP in it & deal with it after IVA test!

Alternatively I don't suppose you were going to Edmonton were you?

link to my thread!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Does your oil pump have a pressure relief valve? Maybe it's stuck open?

That would give the symptoms you describe (it's happened to me, but easy to fix on a x-flow pump).

eccsmk

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent

franky

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Does your oil pump have a pressure relief valve? Maybe it's stuck open?

That would give the symptoms you describe (it's happened to me, but easy to fix on a x-flow pump).

Yes, swapped it after your advice in the other thread thanks Made no change.

I don't want to risk the engine going bang on the way to IVA(45 miles each way to VOSA Nottingham). Also the engines still worth something as it is and a lot less broken, the speed the lack of oil pressure is going down too means I don't think it'd do a long trip, within 10 miles its gone from flicking on at low rpm to staying on showing next to no or zero pressure at idle, if things move at this speed how long before it starts loosing pressure above idle? It seems to be on a exponential curve towards death. It has done 167k in a car that revs to nearly 8000rpm

ETA, the digital sensors were checked against known pressures and were spot on, also the channels in the dash were checked to make sure that there was nothing strange going on there and they were fine too.

I've used the original switch and that gave the same results.

Agriv8

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sump Pickup problem ? have you had the sump off / modiffied / broken pickup pipe pulling air not oil is oil getting to the top of the engine / rockers ect ?

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

franky

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Sump Pickup problem ? have you had the sump off / modiffied / broken pickup pipe pulling air not oil is oil getting to the top of the engine / rockers ect ?

regards

Agriv8

Oil flow is still fine all round the engine especially when revved, the sump/pickup hasn't been modified and still seems fine.

omega0684

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
don't worry bud you'll find out whats wrong, i had no drive 2 days before the rollers and i had to take my engine out twice in a weekend, still made it to the rollers just like you'll make it to IVA,

chin up!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 12/4/11 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Oil flow is still fine all round the engine especially when revved, the sump/pickup hasn't been modified and still seems fine

Well there's surely only 2 places that this can be going wrong. Big ends/mains are wearing away at an alarming rate, causing massive pressure loss or pump is wearing away. The only way you can identify either is by replacing? Oh, and check your waterways for mayo just in case it's being peed across from an oil into a water gallery, but obviously you'd expect to be consuming large amounts!

Incidentally I just found mind dropped to zero on idle the other week, untl I've given it some beans and the relief valve started working again

[Edited on 12/4/11 by coyoteboy]

mad-butcher

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
any signs of metal particles in the oil.
steve m

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Any sign of oil in the sump?
norfolkluego

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Am I right, did someone say it's a crossflow, if so I'm not sure you've got anything to worry about. My crossflow registered 3 psi when cold, sod all when warm, breathed like an iron foundry and we used to sprint it with no ill effects, it was just like that.

[Edited on 12/4/11 by norfolkluego]

tomgregory2000

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Correct grade of oil?

Could it just be too thin?

Werner Van Loock

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Does it also have a seperate pressure switch? What does that do? Only get alarmed when than one switches.

Is your pressure sender in the right place on the engine? Has it ever worked before?

Is the engine grounded properly and is your batteryvoltage ok?

As advised above, use a mechanical gauge first.

http://www.clubstylus.be

daniel mason

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
its a bmw m3 lump i think

norfolkluego

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
Correct grade of oil?

Could it just be too thin?

Good shout, are you using 20W50, it's a bit like lard but it's the right stuff

franky

posted on 12/4/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Its a m3 engine, 3.0 one. I've checked/replaced all pressure valves/switches related to oil. The pressure is measured where the BMW sensor is located.

Zero metal in the oil, correct grade(5w40) I think.

Its been working 100% for the past 9 months. Sensors/dash worked fine, tried on another engine and are working fine. Tested using the bmw pressure switch too.

norfolkluego

posted on 12/4/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Its a m3 engine, 3.0 one.

Ah, so not a crossflow then, skip the treacle er....20w50

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.