Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Been scammed because I have been an idiot.
Jon Ison

posted on 28/7/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Last but one weekend ago over £3k was stolen from our paypal account.

We have already received it all back via paypal.

We also have £850 in our account that the fraudster won online gambling with it.

I have met the fraudster (power of the net and him been as twonk on facebook) He is happy we keep the £850

Go for it.

James

posted on 28/7/11 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

For once you're got his details! ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say never buy anything on e-bay unless it's through paypal, if anyone says they can't accept payment with it then chances are it's a scammer since it is very easy to set up an account. I got stung once and never again. Since that time I have never had one bit of bother and I buy loads on the web.

Don't go with just an email, takes a few minutes to set up an account on any machine so it means nothing to have their email. A phone number is just as worthless.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kwik

posted on 28/7/11 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
this mobile number that is ringing, did you give him yours as well?

what you could try is ringing from another phone maybe a land line (phonebox?) and he may pick up if he thinks its not you ringing.

maybe make up a story that means you need his land line number and once you have that its easy to get address and all sorts....

maybe make up a story that sounds important and make the connection sound bad and request a land line, there are probably lots of well written stories on the internet.

its a long shot but it might work?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 28/7/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger!

Sorry to hear of your woes!

It does sound like the Police have given you an 'incident' number and not a 'crime' number. The reason the police treat these incidents as a 'civil matter' is because they get inundated with complaints of deals going 'wrong' every minute of every hour of every day. Experience tells them that even if they could find the other party (more often than not it's a straightforward affair), then he/she will likely counter-claim that you got your lappy and that you are trying to pull the fast one.

I can understand your frustration / anger / disbelief about them not getting involved, but honestly, Forces would be even bigger basket-cases than they already are if they took on board these sort of investigations.

As I see it, the problem doesn't lie with the Police themselves... it's the politicians who dictate the staff numbers and the judges who don't clamp down on the b*stards that can't behave that create the problem!

It's Evolution Baby!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/7/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bummer!!

Have you google'd the sort code at all?? My sort code gives my local branch address. May help you narrow it down a little

Ninehigh

posted on 28/7/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/07/personalfinancenews.scamsandfraud

For once you're got his details! ;-)

Actually that's a good point, surely you got his details that he gave you to transfer the money, shall I give you the details of an old bank account I have so you can set up a £500pm transfer?

Hellfire

posted on 28/7/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Post some details and let the LB forum members help you track him/her down......

Phil

Steve Hignett

posted on 28/7/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Bummer!!

Have you google'd the sort code at all?? My sort code gives my local branch address. May help you narrow it down a little

It gives you the number of the branch that you set the account up in Paul, and that is prob your local branch.

I set up my account in a branch that is not local to me now.

So, whilst it's a good idea and may give away his area, it also may give away an area that he no longer lives in.

I used to work for Barclays for four years and I would have been able to get away with checking his account details, however I don't know anyone well enough anymore to ask I'm afraid.

What area is it that he's in - if someone on here is local, there's a million in one shot that we may know of a friend of a friend etc bragging in a pub.

As above, post as many details on here that you know and "we" will try and help if "we" can, I'm sure...

mr_pr

posted on 29/7/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
As the police are now investigating the matter I am going to leave it with them. They have been very helpful suddenly!

If nothing comes of it then it will be released to the power of the forum....

Cheers for all the advice though guys, it is some of your advice which has sparked the Police interest!

My Build Progress

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.