Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Franschoek Motor Museum near Cape Town
Fred W B

posted on 13/10/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Franschoek Motor Museum near Cape Town

If you are ever near Cape Town the Franschoek Motor Museum at L'Ormarins wine farm is well worth a visit.

They have 80 cars on display (a further 300 are stored separately) in 4 large purpose built halls. Very classy with tiled floors and classical music playing in the background.

When I visited last week Hall 1 displayed prewar cars (including 3 Bugattis) , Hall 2 was various Mercedes through the ages, Hall 3 was some more ordinary post WW2 war family and sports cars (Jag, Austin Healy etc) and also newer sports cars including examples of Mclaren F1 and M6 GT.

Hall 4 displayed some very significant sports and race cars including an ex Fangio Maserati 250 F, ex Jody Scheckter F1 Tyrrell, no less than 10 Ferraris, an ex Le Mans Jag D type and an ex Le Mans GT 40.

And with wine tasting and good food in a Deli even the wife will enjoy the visit.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 13/10/11 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 13/10/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

chrsgrain

posted on 13/10/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Aaargh - visited recently, went to Franschoek and didn't know it was there!!

Chris

PS - Any CANAMSA updates?

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

FASTdan

posted on 14/10/11 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
I too went recently, I even knew it was there - but from the flyer it looked like nothing special so didnt bother.....bugger lol.

Amazing region

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ivan

posted on 14/10/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Had a special day there a while back with the Cobra Club - the Curator took us around the museum an gave us a talk about many of the exhibits, explaining their history, quirks and what they are like to drive etc, he started up the D Type Jag, the 289 Cobra, Jackie Stewart's Mclaren F1 with it's tartan badging and others - also took us through their maintenance workshops where their engineer had some interesting titbits of information. Overall a great day was had by all.

Once a year they have a "Track" day where our top racing drivers get a chance to stretch the legs of some of the cars on their own track - always worth seeing and hearing - although nothing like the Goodwood day I am sure.

Fred W B

posted on 14/10/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ivan, lucky for you to see / hear all that

Hi Chris, I haven't been able to get in the garage for a month now. The usual life, universe and everything getting in the way at the moment.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.