Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LS Engined "7" anyone???
Irony

posted on 2/8/12 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Horses for courses and each to there own. What I like about locostbuilders these days is that is its just about building cars and not really anymore about building a se7en. I like all the differing projects on here.

Personally I like the roadrunner car. An LS in that tiny chassis! Bonkers and totally awesome.

40inches

posted on 2/8/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Audi V8 lying around (as you do ) and toyed with the idea of bunging it in the MK,
unfortunately my penis, Woops! meant my Chassis, isn't wide enough. Gutted!

Neville Jones

posted on 2/8/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r

Talking about engineers, where's that cheap reverse gearbox that you promised after slating somebody else's idea ?
Remember talk is cheap.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by wylliezx9r]

You weren't one of those who I corresponded with on u2u at the time, so I gather you have no real interest in acquiring a box?

The boxes are for a personal project which I will be starting next month, after getting paying work completed, as was explained at the time to those with a real interest in purchasing, as you obviously don't.

They won't be available publicly, I'll be having three, and the balance go to those who contacted me, on a first come first served basis.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 2/8/12 by Neville Jones]

Neville Jones

posted on 2/8/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

Anyway, just because something appears badly engineered doesn't necessarily mean it'll stop hundreds of people buying one

And that's the sad part. How many of these poorly designed death traps will be sold?

Hopefully, they'll all end up incomplete in the corners of sheds somewhere.

Cheers,
Nev.

daniel mason

posted on 2/8/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
hope none of a certain persons critique were aimed at me?
i was merely asking a question regarding the front wishbone setup as i DONT know the answer. the car looks good in my opinion and if someone wants a huge v8 its fine by me.
i personally prefer lightweight but then i onle have a 135BHP 1.4 k-series in mine.which some would say (possibly rightly so) is somewhat underpowered.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/8/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
LS1 engine weighs in at 430lbs, which is a bit heavier than my Audi 4.2. I'd not want that so far up front personally and I don't really like the execution but each to his own.
SeanStone

posted on 2/8/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think we should employ a system that is on a few other forums where by you can tag people's comments with a thumbs up or down.

Some people just have to say something negative and aggravate the situation, so maybe that could be their nicorette patch for whining, with any response to the 'thumbs down', sent straight to a U2U

Just an idea!

And for the car, I think it looks awesome. Considering the amount of cars that handle well that are a tonne and over (mx5 anyone?), this should be more than capable of being a complete hoot!

scootz

posted on 2/8/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
How does the LS1 compare in size and weight to the AJP V8 from the Cerbera? I always thought it would make an interesting engine for a V8 kit. I'm sure its been done, (possibly in a Phoenix?) but have never seen any photos.

The AJP V8 is smaller and MUCH lighter! Remember that it's essentially a race engine, so needs to be given lots of TLC.

It's Evolution Baby!

DIY Si

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
How does the LS1 compare in size and weight to the AJP V8 from the Cerbera? I always thought it would make an interesting engine for a V8 kit. I'm sure its been done, (possibly in a Phoenix?) but have never seen any photos.

The AJP V8 is smaller and MUCH lighter! Remember that it's essentially a race engine, so needs to be given lots of TLC.

I toyed with fitting one to a Fury, but the price of a working, recently checked engine was too much for my wallet. They fit, as they're tiny and only 2 valves per cylinder, and weigh nothing. Shame really, but if I ever win the lottery I'm having one!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

scudderfish

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
eBay Item

£691 for a fire damaged AJP V8..... I think not, but it is tempting

Rod Ends

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Elfin - Aussie GM V8 Seven
Simon

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Having built Deimos with a Rover V8 I suspect that anyone saying a lightweight LSIS car won't handle with a V8 etc, clearly hasn't been in one.

All in favour of different types of engines in these types of cars.

ATB

Simon

RK

posted on 3/8/12 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think all 7 cars should be only BEC's, now that those engines have come this far with development and weight. Having said that, I just ditched my CA18DET to have a heavier, SR20DET put in. Completely stupid, I know, but it was the only way forward with the economics of my car at this point. I traded some wheels and some fibreglass seats for the short block, etc etc. So bravo for these guys for doing something mad like this. From nearly all perspectives, these cars make no sense anyways.
Irony

posted on 3/8/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I think all 7 cars should be only BEC's

That BEC vs CEC argument again. Can't disagree with you more mate.

DIY Si

posted on 3/8/12 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
eBay Item

£691 for a fire damaged AJP V8..... I think not, but it is tempting

I know, that's an engine I've had to stop myself buying! The engine itself is probably fine, but if not the price of fixing it isn't worth the hassle given the probable price of a finished kit car with one. But one day........

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

petrol head ash

posted on 3/8/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I personal think the car is awesome! why would it not handle or stop as previously posted?.... yes its heavier than your average Zetec etc but so what! some people would just pull there face at the power a Zetec or the like produces.

having built, tracked, toured many kit cars I think the quality is amazing, and yes before the negative people amongst you say anything I have seen the cars in the flesh with many different engine options

as much as I love the BEC set up (previously owned one) for some people its just about the noise and the posing so why would anybody want to slate the car because they don't think its a good idea to build?

the way I see it, people can quite easily sit behind there key board building there posts up telling everybody that somebody else's car is built wrong/unsafe etc.... but really, what do these people actually know? have they ever been in the car above? have they ever even seen it? I don't think so, and if they have do they really know what there looking at? no disrespect to any other seven on the market but I personally think its one of the best out there, round tube laser cut chassis! its hardly box section mig'ed together is it!

I'm know expert in the chassis engineering scene (probably why I don't slate other people's work till iv seen it) but I over heard at a recent show that the chassis was designed by a stress engineer! so when I read posts like 'Lots of tubes, most the wrong shape and in the wrong place' it makes me laugh really.

I will be making an appointment in the near future with roadrunner to discuss a potential sale because I genuinely believe its one of the best!

also regarding the rose joint set up, as I said I'm not a chassis designer but you only need to search the web to find out that F1 cars use rose joints in this position, I also remember a Westfield owner saying they are the wrong way to then find him corrected by somebody in the know saying, 'actually there the right way..... it's you with them the wrong way'. how much difference this makes I don't know but I think its a bit unfair to judge the car when the car above is clearly in very early stage of build.

No offence to anyone, but its my personal view of a very good car,

regards Ashley

roadrunnerracing

posted on 3/8/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I don't normally have much time to spend on Forums, took me half an hour to login, forgot my password.

A friend of mine sent me this link as he was concerned about some of the things being said by some of the 'experts' on here.

The standard SR2 Mazda MX5 based car, wet, with a full roll cage weighs 560kgs road legal with lights etc.

The SR2V8LS1 car weighs 720kgs both have 51/49 weight distribution.

The chassis designs have been done by a qualified stress engineer with a degree in mechanical engineering and over 10 years experience doing designs and stress testing for one of the worlds top companies. He has also designed other chassis for kit car companies other than Roadrunner.

The horizontal rose joints prevent them popping out, which can happen when fitted vertically. Older F1 cars often had the joints fitted horizontally. The mounting lug is also much stronger in a corner as opposed to half way along a tube or box section. The travel is almost double the travel of the damper so that problem does not exist.

Our demo car has covered over 3500 miles on almost all the UK tracks and some abroad including Spa. It has been driven by Ben Collins 'The Stig', top championship winning race drivers, as well as ARDS Instructors and also one ARDS Super Instructor.

Other SR2's have also been thrashed by leading Trackday companies to 'test' the components and chassis etc. This has given us fast and excellent feedback leading to minor modifications on newer chassis.

My other company has specialized in Mazda MX5's for over 10 years, turbo and supercharging them. We have our own TAT dyno for mapping and testing. We currently have one of only a few properly set up and in daily use MK3 Cosworth supercharged MK5. One of these is due to be fitted in an SR2 this winter.

Regarding the uprated Mazda differential fitted to the V8 it handled over 300 bhp O.K. in it's previous home, my MK1 turbo, which weighed 1150kgs compared to 720kgs. So far in the V8 it just likes melting rubber if a lot of power is put through it.

My thanks for all the nice comments, I don't mind negative ones if constructive and accurate. I do however mind one person in particular who seems to have a big problem with Roadrunner due to the fact we did not reply to him a few years ago, before I even took over the company.

He is being monitored, his user name and location keep changing but needless to say my legal adviser will deal with it.

Regards Mike

daniel mason

posted on 3/8/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
he also dis-likes mk.mnr.raw,mac1,caterham,westfield etc. but loves himself. lol. well done on the project and thanks for clearing up my question on the rose joint setup!

roadrunnerracing

posted on 3/8/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
SR2 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4opzWiXvtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCjrEpkGaGw

Yellow demo car in action, it is just a standard 1.6 engine and early weak 1.6 plated lsd. Built from a G reg 1989 MOT failure.

But still going fine after 3500 track miles and 500 road miles.

We have track tested the SR2V8LS1 but no video yet but we intend to get some good track time and videos plus some standing 1/4's in the future.

franky

posted on 3/8/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Its been proven that powerful, slightly heavier engined 7-alikes are just as good as the very best. Good luck with the project, looks like good fun.
Simon

posted on 4/8/12 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunnerracing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4opzWiXvtU

Tyres are a bit smoky, prob a blown seal or summat. They also a bit noisy for my liking

ATB

Simon

D Beddows

posted on 4/8/12 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

he also dis-likes mk.mnr.raw,mac1,caterham,westfield etc. but loves himself. lol. well done on the project and thanks for clearing up my question on the rose joint setup!

and this kind of post is why anyone who actually has any proper experience in top level motorsport (and there have been a few) or even who knows what they are talking about in club level motorsport no longer really bothers posting on Locostbuilders.com - and it's a much sorrier place for it nowadays tbh No,you may not agree BUT life is all about learning stuff not dismissing opinions out of hand because your limited experience disagrees with it.

Not saying it's true in this case, maybe, maybe not - I'm just commenting on the attitude

Neville Jones

posted on 4/8/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to disappoint a few of you lot, but until this abomination was put in front of me, I didn't even know who Roadrunner Racing were. So, I'm not the mythical person their 'legal team' is trying to find. (If this team even exists, as you couldn't have paid a properly chartered engineer of suitable experience to put his name to that V8 thing, so the £200/hr that solicitors charge would be way beyong your budgets, unless they're family or a close fiend working for free.)

I learned at an early age, not to bullshite an old man, because 99 times out of a hundred he's heard it before, and probably even tried it on himself. This old man is not fooled or frightened.

Should you wish to put the name and contact details of your 'legal team' on here, or send them to me in u2u, then I'll gladly correspond with them. I'm sure that they will like to hear the views of someone who has worked in the industry for more than 25 years, and can call upon a bona fide F1 chassis engineer for backup, as well as a few of my peers who design racecar chassis full time as a living. You'll be told to get your Product Liabilty Insurance properly in place, and make sure it's sufficient. You're going to need it. You do have Product Liability Insurance, don't you? You'd be the only one in the kit industry if you do.

All of that aside, I asked my son what he thought of just how such a thing could be designed. His explanation left me a little lost for words and understanding, but it boils down to cad design and FEA taught at uni's. Reliance on computers, garbage in and garbage out. Then there's the modern thinking on flexure and bending when coupled with structures.

Me, I'm old school, but use cad as a tool, not the sole source. After all, to come first, first you have to finish. And broken cars don't finish.

I'm too old for bulls..., and will keep pointing out poor design when it is warranted. If this poor stuff keeps turning up, one day the EC will get its way, and kit building will be no longer, all because of irresponsible manufacturers.

Cheers,
Nev.

scootz

posted on 4/8/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Stop sitting on the fence Nev! Say what you really mean man!

It's Evolution Baby!

daniel mason

posted on 4/8/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
u2u to d beddows

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.