New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota GT86 - Subaru BRZ
maccmike

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
read and watched mixed reviews. another 100hp and then it'd be a cool car.

So what benefit is that extra 100 bhp going to have then ? Lose your license quicker ?

with a silly response like that you shouldnt have a bike powered car or contribute to petrol headed websites like this

phelpsa

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I am also a Toyota man as of late, but my experience of Toyota ownership has involved thrashing the daylights out of a small, nimble, under-tyred, well balanced sports car with a sweet little 16v engine. For that reason, I get it

Power is not required for a fun drivers car, unless your idea of fun is showing that your car is faster than someone elses!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maccmike

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a 2cv then.

I like what Iv seen, however;

Watched one at Goodwood fos. Was slow (compared to the exotica there).

Read and watched mixed reviews;

Chris Harris loves it because he can spank and drift it round the track, this does not relate to road use.

If your interpretation of his review suggests- buy one and do some track days- a corner only lasts a few seconds and it'll feel like an age getting to the next one, whilst in the mean time every one is passing you. bit demoralising. Be nicer to have a 'more rounded package...'

Having a (only) sweet handling car on these over congested and camera riddled public roads is a waste of time too as you'll want to carry more speed to enjoy the chassis/steering etc. At least with extra grunt you can put it on as quick as you can take it off - and still enjoy that series of bends.

Its a different take on a MX5 in essence, so as I made the most ridiculous suggestion that it should be more pokie, maybe some of you should u2u locost mx5 owners that have 'charged their motors and ask them what on earth they are doing, trying to lose your license?
If I bought one, I would be more than happy with it, but would wish it had a bit more..

[Edited on 30/8/12 by maccmike]

MikeRJ

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc

To be honest, i was a bit disappointed, not saying i would not get one, as I’ve heard the handling is really good. But the 0 - 60 time is slower than my Auris, and to me, acceleration is the most important thing.

Then ignore all the positive aspects of this car and get something like a Mazda 3 MPS. Torque steering, under steering FWD monster, but it's very quick.

phelpsa

posted on 31/8/12 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Its a different take on a MX5 in essence, so as I made the most ridiculous suggestion that it should be more pokie, maybe some of you should u2u locost mx5 owners that have 'charged their motors and ask them what on earth they are doing, trying to lose your license?

They are trying to make it faster. There's no problem with that, but it it's in no way required for it to be an enjoyable drivers car and can quite often make things worse.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 31/8/12 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Chris Harris loves it because he can spank and drift it round the track, this does not relate to road use.

You need to come for a road drive with me or my brother... I can definately relate it to road use! lol

To be fair he does also say you can drive it fast on the road and know you are in car thats not about safety, its about fun.
He specifically says you can drive it at 60% and not bein on the lockstops drifting round every corner and still have fun - thats my idea of fun, not barreling in to a bend in 300hp FWD shopping trolley resulting in mountains of understeer. I had one of those (well close to 300hp/tonne) and it was fun, but in a very diffrerent way to the fun I had in my 316 BMW with 175 tyres that spent many a damp evening going round roundabouts 3 -4 times.

quote:
daniel mason
there was one at harewood a few weeks back. not quick at all on the hill and is quite large. it did look very nice though!

Strange, i thougt the exact oppsite with regards to size.

[Edited on 31-8-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

wylliezx9r

posted on 31/8/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:
read and watched mixed reviews. another 100hp and then it'd be a cool car.

So what benefit is that extra 100 bhp going to have then ? Lose your license quicker ?

with a silly response like that you shouldnt have a bike powered car or contribute to petrol headed websites like this

I thought it was a simple question which your clearly not capable of answering. Perhaps you can explain why I shouldnt own a BEC or be contributing to a website ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/8/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm, booked on the GT86 structural repair course starting 24th Sept so I will report back

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

daniel mason

posted on 31/8/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you thought it was light what did you put the lack of pace down to?

loggyboy

posted on 31/8/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
It only weighs 1200kg - in new car terms thats light, its only 50kg more than a fiesta. Even a s2 elise weighs 900 and an mx5 weighs between 950 and 1100kg depending on age.

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.