Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your top tips when doing a build?
wilkingj

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Fix a large whiteboard to your garage wall. You'll find it invaluable.........

Phil

That idea I like. .......... searching for whiteboards on ebay now

Cheaper still is get a secondary glazing unit or old window unit. Cheap as chips, usually give away at a glazier or D/Glazing firm.
Paint one side with Cheap White emulsion (V. Locost idea). Will need two or three coats.
Fix to wall painted side inwards.
Get some whiteboard spirit markers and use that.
Considerably cheaper than buying expensive whiteboards
Mine is just starting to peel after 8 years. So I know this works.

Excellent for doing a bit of quick maths, or jotting down compression figures , valve clearances, or jobs to be done.
Most useful was to jot down parts that you need to get. Then copy the shopping list into a notebook to take shopping with you.
An excellent aide memoire!!

Once you know what part you want, then scour the internet for the best price. I dont mean the cheapset bit of crap that will do, but the quality item you want, at the best price. Its amazing what you can save.
Keep a running total of the costs on a shreadsheet. It will help give a true value for the Insurance value. (DONT let the Missus see it )

Keep asking questions on here... Its what we are all here for. However, do try to use the Search facility first as most things have been done to death in the past.

DONT DESPAIR!!! We all go through that phase, and sometimes a few times more than we would like!

Lastly, Little and often. ie try to do a small bit every day. Even if its only 20 mins cutting a bracket, then undercoating it the next night, then top coat the next night etc etc.
Little and Often WILL get it done.
Doing nothing for weeks, will not get it done, and then you spend a week at it and it still looks like not much has been done.

PLAN your jobs. ie decide the next task. Ensure you have all the bits to hand, before you start it. It will save a lot of time.

Secure your garage / shed /whatever. Dont work with the doors wide open for all the theiving scum to see what noce tools you have in there!
No prob in the winter, but worth thinking about or parking a van infront of the doors in summer etc.

Pictures.... Already said above. Regardless of taking them for the IVA man. WE want to see your progress as well.
Not only do you accumulate your build evidence for IVA, it gives others encouragement. It also gives them Ideas for their car.
After all we often see someone elses good idea and then incorporate it in our own car.
Also we may spot you doing something wrong or even dangerous. Better find it during the build than at 70mph on a twisty road.

Try to enjoy it, it IS well worth the effort.
When a stranger admires your car, you will get a good feeling when you say "Yes, I built it"
Its all becomes worth while.

EDIT:
Found the Photos!

Cheap Whiteboards
Cheap Whiteboards

[Edited on 6/12/2012 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.