Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would I build another mnr
Fencewrecker

posted on 9/9/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well, following on from my earlier comment, and having read the good and the bad comments, I hope that this is the last time I feel compelled to respond.

Someone once said to me in business. "You can't please everyone all the time but if you please most of the people most of the time then, that is in reality the best you can hope for". As he also said "there is no pleasing some people". So true!!

My experience of Chris and Mark has been excellent both as a paying customer and as a free-loader, (my motor club have always been welcomed at MNR hospitality tents at the shows for years even though I currently am the only MNR owner in the club). On many occasion over the last 6 years, MNR have helped me out above and beyond, such as:

My car has been on the road 3 years, I wanted to modify the steering arrangement so stripped out the parts, called at MNR one Saturday morning, and even though they were busy, Mark did a smashing job of welding it up for me, and the cost FoC. Now that's only one of many occasions. Chris did the same with some parts that I couldn't source specific to my engine.

Cars cost money, usually more than we like to admit especially the fun ones, with all Kit Cars you are going to get costs if you don't like it then don't buy one, but, they aren't half fun.

I have to say I don't like the tone of Mr T's comments and find some hard to believe, because they are the complete opposite to everything I have experienced in the 6 years.

So in summary, the originator of this waffle, started by complaining about a person and being personal (not clever), then got on about the factory support he had, even though he didn't buy the car from MNR and in his own words didn't expect to get factory help. Though from what I have read he seems to have had lots of FoC time and his car is now sorted. So what is the point of all the above.

corrado vr6

posted on 10/9/13 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like poor communication perhaps on both sides, also from looking back I don't think Mr T made it personal against a certain person, he mentioned this persons name, but I believe it was others with their own experiences that ended up making it personal, yes it was instigated by this post but I don't know if it was ever the op's intention

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

Not Anumber

posted on 10/9/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I dont have any connection with the MNR guys but am mightily impressed by their response on here and would not have a qualm about dealing with them.

Its clear this is a car that needed erm, shall we charitably say a little bit more than a tweak and a polish before being submitted for IVA.

If someone chooses to do the work themselves they will save money by relying on their skills and knowledge and taking risks that are their own responsibility.

If they pay someone else to do the work they agree a price for the job or an hourly labour rate and estimate, watch the money go from their account for the benefit of knowing it's someone else's responsibility to complete the work. They can then stand back and admire the finished article without getting their hands quite as dirty.

There is always a grey area in the middle and therefore relatively likely to be some level of disagreement about the work that is actually required however I don't think it's acceptable to go through the process and then throw mud in a public forum. Reputations take a long time to build up but can be damaged on a whim.

The time and place to air these differences was really at The time and The place, no grievances were aired then so why air them now - or is this perhaps more about you having second thoughts on the wisdom of going about things the way that you have ?

Are you sure you have received negative IMs from other forum members. Perhaps you would care to mention their names on here so they can be dealt with in open dialogue rather than just darkly alluded to....

What was it the real Mr T from the A team was famous for saying ? Ah yes 'Get some Nuts' Rather a good bit of advice really.

corrado vr6

posted on 10/9/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it would be a good idea to go naming names unless the op has those people's permission, as u2u's are obviously personal for a reason

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

richardm6994

posted on 10/9/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
I dont have any connection with the MNR guys but am mightily impressed by their response on here and would not have a qualm about dealing with them.

Amen to that!!! I couldn't agree more!!

I also have no connection with MNR, however I would like them to know that reading this doesn't put me off buying from them!

Companies like MNR deserve all the best for the future

[Edited on 10/9/13 by richardm6994]

mr T

posted on 10/9/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What was it the real Mr T from the A team was famous for saying ? Ah yes 'Get some Nuts' Rather a good bit of advice really.

Mr T also says stop your jibba jabba fool

[Edited on 10/9/13 by mr T]

mr T

posted on 10/9/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote

Quote Richardm6994
I also have no connection with MNR, however I would like them to know that reading this does put me off buying from them!

Cheers pal

Not Anumber

posted on 10/9/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr T
quote:

So, you call those who disagree with you fools. Right mate, that and your other snippy comments to others who have disagreed with you tells me everything i need to know about you then.

mr T

posted on 10/9/13 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, you call those who disagree with you fools. Right mate, that and your other snippy comments to others who have disagreed with you tells me everything i need to know about you then.

That was for you mate no one else Grow up you've obviously never watched the A Team and shouldn't make comments about things you know nothing about

Peteff

posted on 10/9/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr T I don't want to start ripping into this bloke on this forum I understand he's in business to make money but its totally at the other end of the scale to how I run my business and deal with customers .
Feel free to rip me to bits but this is just my experience I just hope people with the same experience as me back me up a little
I'd just like to say I found Marc to be a nice bloke and always tried to help me
Tony

And what would your business be ?
"I don't want to start ripping into this bloke on this forum I understand he's in business to make money" seems at odds with your next statement "Feel free to rip me to bits but this is just my experience I just hope people with the same experience as me back me up a little"
It seems a pretty pointless thread to me considering how long it's gone on for. You ask how a job can go from £900 to £2k ? Just look at the high speed rail link and see how much that has gone up in a few months. You know how much work costs and wanting to build a car cost dearly so why did you hand it over to someone else to finish the job. I'm not a MNR customer I built my Locost and tested it myself and then sold it on, gripe all you want but eventually it is all down to you.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Not Anumber

posted on 10/9/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oh you don't like being disagreed with at all do you young Mr T. I was in my 20s when the A team came to our screens in 1983 but still remember it fondly. Mind you i must confess to finding the original Charlie's Angels rather more stimulating but each to their own i suppose .

mr T

posted on 10/9/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Oh you don't like being disagreed with at all do you young Mr T. I was in my 20s when the A team came to our screens in 1983 but still remember it fondly. Mind you i must confess to finding the original Charlie's Angels rather more stimulating but each to their own i suppose .

Have to say it was starsky and hutch for me

richardm6994

posted on 10/9/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Edited my post!! It was meant to say...doesn't put me off!!! Dam ipad!!!

mr T

posted on 10/9/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
Edited my post!! It was meant to say...doesn't put me off!!! Dam ipad!!!

Haha

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 17/9/13 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Marc and Chris run an excellent business delivering some of the best products in the industry. I spent a lot of time and research deciding which car to build and ultimately chose to build an MNR. Their chassis is in my view one of the very best out there.

MNR customer service goes beyond anything I have experienced anywhere else in any industry. They act more like friends or family, but they are very busy people, Marc in particular never stops, I don't know how he does it.

During my build I always used Locostbuilders first if ever I had any questions or doubts and most members were very helpful and almost invariably had the solution. On occasions when I needed to contact MNR they were very quick to respond and very helpful. Chris can be brusque some times, usually when he is very busy and is trying to be efficient and move on to the next task, but he always delivers. If he has a fault it is that like many of us he doesn't always suffer fools gladly.

From the outset of my build I planned to take up MNRs offer of taking the car to their factory at the end of my build and putting the final finishing touches to the car there. I spent a week at the factory working on my car, for which they charged me absolutely nothing. I used space, tools, lifts, equipment and even some consumables, for a week, all for absolutely no charge. They provided me with help and advice every time I asked and Chris did all my IVA paperwork, again all for no charge. I did ask for some work to be done for me by Marc, particularly help with my one-off GKN lowbro/tripod/halfshaft set up, corner weighting, suspension geometry etc. for which I was charged and I was happy to pay. Why wouldn't I be, they are a business supplying me with a service for which I should expect to pay. I also bought additional parts while I was there.

I stayed at the local pub, but when my stay over ran and the pub needed my room for the next guest, Chris provided me with two nights accommodation in his own holiday flats, free of charge. And Marc invited me home for dinner with his family. This is the kind of people that the Nordons are.

The Nordons I know are not the Nordons "Mr T" describes.

There are no short cuts to building your own car you either need the knowledge and skills, learn the knowledge and skills or buy the knowledge and skills. Most do a bit of all three. It is a big risk to take on anyone else's build and you should do so with your eyes open and a contingency fund to hand. It is certainly the experience of many that it may not be the bargain you expected!

[Edited on 17/9/13 by sucksqueezebangblow]

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Krismc

posted on 26/10/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
let me get this straight. you hated dealing with mnr,they lied and sold you wrong parts during the build! then at the very end of the build,after all these issues,you went to them to put your car through, the IVA? something doesnt sound right

Yes that's right I must have been on drugs I didn't want to take it for iva I thought I'd let the guys that do it all the time how can a job go from £900 to 2k and you don't know about it until its done

I rang once to see how it was going I was told every thing was ok we've ordered the power commander for it??????? Why I asked because it needs one ,it already had one on it, has it were is it ,

my mnr iva bill was quoted as 700ish and ended up as 2000ish too, plus 2k of engine charges and a replacement block which cost me 2 days off work. this may not have bbeen mnrs fault as they used a external supplier but the engine and parts I was told where bad are now fitted in another ivaed kit car that passed with my engine setup I was told was wrong.

Marc is great, chris is sometimes too busy or not knowledgeable in his replys.

They dont like cec's and push towards becs and therefore provide little support which is what happened in my case and mybees my fault. but I only asked and I got the wrong info.

As for for blaming a self builder for the way some parts where fitted, this is offensive considering the state of the build manuals. Mine wasnt even for my car.

I would buy another car from them as the chassis is great but customer experience is poor.

[Edited on 26/10/13 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 26/10/13 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
quote:
quote:
let me get this straight. you hated dealing with mnr,they lied and sold you wrong parts during the build! then at the very end of the build,after all these issues,you went to them to put your car through, the IVA? something doesnt sound right

Yes that's right I must have been on drugs I didn't want to take it for iva I thought I'd let the guys that do it all the time how can a job go from £900 to 2k and you don't know about it until its done

I rang once to see how it was going I was told every thing was ok we've ordered the power commander for it??????? Why I asked because it needs one ,it already had one on it, has it were is it ,

my mnr iva bill was quoted as 700ish and ended up as 2000ish too, plus 2k of engine charges and a replacement block which cost me 2 days off work. this may not have bbeen mnrs fault as they used a external supplier but the engine and parts I was told where bad are now fitted in another ivaed kit car that passed with my engine setup I was told was wrong.

Marc is great, chris is sometimes too busy or not knowledgeable in his replys.

They dont like cec's and push towards becs and therefore provide little support which is what happened in my case and mybees my fault. but I only asked and I got the wrong info.

As for for blaming a self builder for the way some parts where fitted, this is offensive considering the state of the build manuals. Mine wasnt even for my car.

I would buy another car from them as the chassis is great but customer experience is questionable sometimes. Although when marcs dealing with you its great.

[Edited on 26/10/13 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

daniel mason

posted on 26/10/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
i had bec and a cec and i got the same help for each. probably more help with the cec infact as they built the chassis around my own honda s2000 engine at no extra cost.
its difficult to accept.when they look at a car and give an estimate of cost. how can they possibly have forseen some of your errors?
and if they had just left them all and done the basic work they estimated and it failed iva with a huge list. what would you say then?
i suppose everyone has there own story and thoughts but mine were certainly positive.i for one really liked chris and its impossible not to like marc. we regularly went for a few beers and i enjoyed there company.as well as iain bakers!
i had made a few mistakes with my build which mnr had to put right,and i payed for them but didnt make as many as some that were in the workshop around that time!

Krismc

posted on 26/10/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im a repairs estimator/surveyor/technical sales engineer for a lift company and if I cant estimate the job or cant do I dont say I can for £100 then charge £200. They need to say to a customer, this isnt a fixed price and this is only a estimate. Several MNR owners have said they have changed the price but thought it was fixed.

Im trying to help here by saying what is not quite right, im not trying to put them down.....I actually would love another car.

Im not backing up Mr T or any one else who is disgruntled, but you and others praise MNR like they are the best kit car manufacturer on the planet and this leads people to actually trust they will no what they are doing 100% of the time. They are very good, actually excellent in some areas. But not all.

I had a problem with my inboard suspension, they said I had set it up wrong over the phone/internet (although disproved in the end as I had wrong shocks supplied, which they replaced (with is a postive)) but there was no set up in build manual and no pictures, I emailed Chris several times asking for installation and set up instructions for the suspension and I got some interesting reply's, some of them with some camber adjustments. But when Marc is free, and hes a busy man...the replys are excellent.

Im just saying that you have to look at this both ways and too blame a customer for installing a part wrong when there is no clear instructions with a kit is a big mistake. Ive been under 100s of cars but the installation inboard suspension and putting together raceleda hubs is something that I wanted to confirm, but no instructions and then poor email replys left me 'best guessing' and then I was told youve done it wrong when it was in for IVA.

Although in other areas, I had a chassis problem at start and couldnt get the engine and mounts in as when they had the engine to build chassis it appeared a 'apprentice' removed the front main pully on the engine when welding it up. Anyway Marc travelled 80miles to come to my garage to measure up the chassis and remake the mounts as i wasnt confortable with doing it.

So a half thumbs up from me for MNR.

PS personally id employ a sales person with some technical knowledge in MNR cars (daniel do you need a job), and provide more comprehensive build details.

daniel mason

posted on 26/10/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
i dont have the knowledge unfortunately and have a very good job.but if your wanting to get out of the lift industry.maybe send an application form?
and i have never said they are the best in the industry,but have dealt with many!and alongside andy bates and radical they are as good as any! to expect chris to give accurate setup details via email would be like asking marc to start working in the office.and simply wouldnt work. this is why i personally think they make a good team. chris delivers items bang on time,and assists greatly with iva stuff. marc builds great cars!

Krismc

posted on 27/10/13 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i dont have the knowledge unfortunately and have a very good job.but if your wanting to get out of the lift industry.maybe send an application form?
and i have never said they are the best in the industry,but have dealt with many!and alongside andy bates and radical they are as good as any! to expect chris to give accurate setup details via email would be like asking marc to start working in the office.and simply wouldnt work. this is why i personally think they make a good team. chris delivers items bang on time,and assists greatly with iva stuff. marc builds great cars!

unfortunately no matey, im in the last of the industrys where qualifications are actually required by law. Plus moneys to good.

im not asking for much, a exploded diagram or a picture of the part fitted. its hardly rocket science for the co owner of a kit car company to address via email, other wise the section on web site should say "partial build manual" .

I can imagine people buying these kits who have no knowledge of building a car expecting a bit more in the build manual than is given. ive seen tiger, Westfield, caterham and they all superb considering.

mr T

posted on 27/10/13 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
There's a reason for having a poo build manual, it's so they can say you've done that wrong and charge 2k,
In my case it wasn't wrong and still got my pants pulled down , well never again, they will never get another penny out of me , my car is now sold not because I didn't like it , it was sold so I never had to deal with Chris again

big_l

posted on 27/10/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh I don't think Chris would ever sell you anything again anyway

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

mr T

posted on 27/10/13 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l

You've got that wrong bud he'd never get a chance

Krismc

posted on 27/10/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by big_l

You've got that wrong bud he'd never get a chance

Id pay you too try though.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.