Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions Scandel gets deeper
coyoteboy

posted on 5/10/15 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
It's not naughty - there's no regulation on tuning of your own car providing it meets current MOT req.

I swapped my ECU out for a programmable one and remapped it myself, it still meets the MOT regs. Might not meet the original spec but that's totally irrelevant and I have an extra 100HP.

INDY BIRD

posted on 5/10/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
sorry it was meant to have a smiley face its a tongue in cheek naughty
loggyboy

posted on 5/10/15 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
It's not naughty - there's no regulation on tuning of your own car providing it meets current MOT req.

I swapped my ECU out for a programmable one and remapped it myself, it still meets the MOT regs. Might not meet the original spec but that's totally irrelevant and I have an extra 100HP.

Arguably any changes to a type approval means the car fails construction and use regulations. Fortunately it's too hard/timewasting for any one to inforce for 99.9999% of modifications.

Mistral Motorsport

JoelP

posted on 5/10/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon this will be the new ppi scandal.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/10/15 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just as 'we' lean off the fuel on the bike engines, to the point where the engine will just about run, fit additional catalysts, or just put back the one that we should have.... all for an MoT test.

Motorcycle manufacturers map their engines just for the 5-6K drive-by quietness, some fitting flaps in various places. It's all to meet regulations that shouldn't be there in the first place. The laboratory isn't real-life.

I expect all the diesel propaganda will 'justify' more environment levies on diesel vehicles. Hell, these cars are killing people, car manufacturers are committing murder, where's my compensation, I want it, and more, now.

I'm too poor to run a modern diesel, I still in the MK5 2.5Di Transit era. I can't afford a modern, pollution free Range Rover Sport, so I guess I'll simply be banned.

ian996

posted on 6/10/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just hoping that prices will come crashing down and I'll swoop in and buy one for a bargain.

posted on 6/10/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
My Passat is Pre-Scandal, so it's going up in price.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/10/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Arguably any changes to a type approval means the car fails construction and use regulations. Fortunately it's too hard/timewasting for any one to inforce for 99.9999% of modifications.

IS that arguable? I don't think it is. Show me the legislation that says if I change my ECU I'm breaching construction and use regs? Sure it's not as built, but I don't think there's any regs that say you can't change it once produced.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.