<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 205 GTI off to look this weekend
nick205

posted on 17/12/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
The more I think about it, the more I want to rebuild it

mark chandler

posted on 17/12/15 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the days of finding an old Citreon BX GTI to provide the 16v engine for £100 are long gone now.
nick205

posted on 17/12/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Unfortunately the days of finding an old Citreon BX GTI to provide the 16v engine for £100 are long gone now.

You'er not wrong there!

Mi16 motors are getting harder to find these days and I believe GTI6 motors are heavier too.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/12/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I mind a friend who had one, when refitting the head mistook degs for ft pounds and sheared of the head bolt somewhere inside the block, was the end of that car. Next thing he's chopping the car up with a petrol stihl saw!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 17/12/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Now that's a worry, read carefully!

olberj

posted on 17/12/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had a lemon of a 1.9 gti i stripped parts off for the mi16 and then we spent a day chopping up the shell with grinders etc. Putting a pick axe through a windscreen is great fun.

Had videos but it was that long ago the resolution was terrible. Now i think back what a rust free 1.9gti shell coukd be worth. Doh!

Btw mi vs gti6. Mi is a red line chaser, gti6 more low rev torquey like the 1.9 8v. Can't say I've noticed that much difference in weight. Mi felt faster but probably due to less shell weight and stupidly short gearing.

Can you still get new gearbox parts from Peugeot?

CosKev3

posted on 17/12/15 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
The Mi16 engine is alot lighter than the Gti6 engine,due to the Mi being a full alloy engine.the Gti6 eng is cast iron block.

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I had the 309 1.9 GTi and was reliably informed that the little bit of extra weight behind the wheels made it better on the limit
I still ran out of talent and had to rebuild it though.

The 309gti runs a wider track too than the 205 front and rear

A popular mod on the 205 is to fit 309 wishbones and rear beam to get the wider track.

Personally I put it down to driving it more and learning when/where it gives up.

If you stand directly behind a 205gti and look at the wheels the rear track is narrower than the front,hence the break away rear end!
Fitting the 309 rear beam equals up the front and rear track,and the 309 front wishbones gives them a bit of negative camber.

nick205

posted on 17/12/15 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Given the age of them, rust is a fact of life - can be terminal, but can be removed and repaired.

nick205

posted on 18/12/15 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Peugeot UK have one of these for sale (saw it at the NEC), just £250,000 - what happens when it goes bang!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.