Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: River Cruiser or Narrow Boat Wanted.
ragindave

posted on 1/2/22 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
River Cruiser or Narrow Boat Wanted.

I am on the lookout for a River Cruiser or Narrow Boat.
If you have one lying around that you no longer use please message me.
I am based in Lincolnshire but happy to travel for the right boat.
Thank you.

roadrunner

posted on 2/2/22 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Have you been watching "Canal Boat Diaries" on BBC4 at 7pm, it's on this evening.
I could certainly get use to that way of life.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/2/22 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you have done your research as these are very expensive to own. Tbh I'd only consider one if I actually wanted to live on one rather than just occasional use. About 20 years ago I was looking at getting or building a boat to live on once I finished building the house as it appealed much more. However once I looked into the costs of everything about ownership, outside of the cost of the boat itself, I realised it was not a cheaper way to live in the slightest. As the saying goes, a boat is just a hole in the water you fill with money.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 2/2/22 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I hope you have done your research as these are very expensive to own. Tbh I'd only consider one if I actually wanted to live on one rather than just occasional use. About 20 years ago I was looking at getting or building a boat to live on once I finished building the house as it appealed much more. However once I looked into the costs of everything about ownership, outside of the cost of the boat itself, I realised it was not a cheaper way to live in the slightest. As the saying goes, a boat is just a hole in the water you fill with money.

Hi
I agree with every thing mr whippy has said we have hired narrow boats for the last 12 + years and found this is the cheapest way
we looked into buying a boat but it just wasn’t feisable
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 3/2/22 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a couple of boats. Both were yachts that I used on the Norfolk Broads. First was a bilge keel 2 berth yacht and then moved to a 3 berth swing keel yacht. If buying second hand there are hundreds of cheap boats that are for sale, a lot of them lemons. If you are careful though you can pick one up at reasonable cost. You need to add mooring costs (mine was £350 march to October) and if bringing the boat out for winter you need a trailer and perhaps a crane out or river side storage. Boat insurance is easy to sort but depends on the boat length (£200 ish) BSS or Boat Safety Certificate, a sort of mot which lasts 4 years and is another £200ish for a small boat. Water licence, a bit like road tax, another £200 and then you can start looking at boat maintainance, annual antifouling, in my case sails, outboard serviceing and lots of other things as well as buying the boat.
I can't understand why people say its like a boat is just a hole in the water you fill with money

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.