Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loft insulation ideas
JoelP

posted on 11/10/22 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I gave up reading halfway through, but my solution would be to attach 50mm kingspan to the actual roof timbers. Seal together with adhesive foam (expanding foam that doesn't expand much). Then just board onto the existing ceiling timbers with shims as required to correct levels. I did my roof with a ventilated dry ridge, so air could still circulate behind the insulation.

I also built my extension with 50mm kingspan rather than wool, and I'm still wearing a tee shirt with no heating on. &#128526;

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 12/10/22 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
JoelP

Good to hear of others not having turned the heating on yet

Energy price rises aside we're still OK here without the heating on (Hampshire). Yesterday was chuffing chilly outside when I went to catch the bus to work at 06:30. Frost on the cars, huffy breath, but in the house we're OK.

I can see it coming, but I'm also tight so I'll be waiting until I'm feeling properly cold!

JoelP

posted on 12/10/22 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely Nick!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWalker

posted on 12/10/22 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
JoelP

Energy price rises aside we're still OK here without the heating on (Hampshire). Yesterday was chuffing chilly outside when I went to catch the bus to work at 06:30. Frost on the cars, huffy breath, but in the house we're OK.

I can see it coming, but I'm also tight so I'll be waiting until I'm feeling properly cold!

I've never understood "turning the heating on". That's the point of thermostats. If it's cold enough the heating will come on and if it's not, it won't.

In our case, I've gone the extra mile and every room, plus the hot water tank, has its own timer/thermostat and its own motorised valve. So, the system is on all year, with the boiler heating the hot water tank twice a day and each room heating if it is in the correct time span and colder than its set-point.

nick205

posted on 14/10/22 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
JoelP

I've never understood "turning the heating on". That's the point of thermostats. If it's cold enough the heating will come on and if it's not, it won't.

In our case, I've gone the extra mile and every room, plus the hot water tank, has its own timer/thermostat and its own motorised valve. So, the system is on all year, with the boiler heating the hot water tank twice a day and each room heating if it is in the correct time span and colder than its set-point.

You're right, our heating is thermostat controlled and effectively on all the time. Combi boiler so it heats hot water on demand. The central heating only kicks in when the temperature in the house drops below the thermostat setting.

A couple of the rads (those that have been fitted/replaced since we bought the hosue) have individual controls.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/10/22 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Indeed, my house has per-rad TRVs and a programmable room stat with 7 time windows for different temps, and the heating remains on all year.

But you'd be surprised by the number of people I know (and my old rental flat) have just a timer.

[Edited on 14/10/22 by coyoteboy]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.